Sanchez or Flacco?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to Start for the Jets?

1. Mark Sanchez

55.8%
  2. Joe Flacco

36.8%
  3. Tim Tebow

7.4%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Don't worry Mark. I know you sucked down the stretch last year, and we made it to the Champ Game. Nearly won it, too, if my fing receivers could only hold onto the ball.

But you still have a large group of homers who have your back. Good for you!

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'll take a 1,000 homers over one Big Blocker

3. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i've gone on record many times before the season and will do so again now. sanchez will be a respectable game manager again this year but will again be in the bottom 1/3 tier of qbs stat wise come the end of the year.

so goes the defense and running game will dictate how well the jets do this year. it certainly will not be because of sanchez having a breakout season. as i've said, he's merely a game manager qb, nothing more! last year proved that! when the jets needed him to step up his game, he couldn't.

it reminds me of the noodle days when people were claiming him to be elite, lol. or herm, when they claimed he was a good coach. with time, all has turned out to be laughable!

4. nyjunc

I don't care about fantasy stats, I care about wins and Mark helping us win. 2 years ago I think he was a top 10 QB but he didn't have top 10 stats. if he cuts down on TOs and starts making some big plays again this O will be much better bt it all starts up front. we need a much better OL and I'm confident we'll get a much better QB.

It's hard to step up your game when everyone around you is stepping down. He'll never be a Brady type but I expect a solid starting QB that can help hsi team win like he did in 2010. W/o his play in 2010 we don't even make the playoffs. people forget how up and down the D was and how LT struggled after the great start. We won b/c makr and the pass O bailed us out numerous times.

Chad was a top QB for a year or 2, injuries prevented him from being consistently one of the best. herm proved he was a GOOD coach, obviously not great but he did a very good job for us in a tough situation.

5. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

At no time during his career has Sanchez ever been a top 10 QB.

If you want to use your definition of top QB's, then Trent Dilfer was a top 10 QB of all time.

All 3 of Sanchez seasons have been nothing more than Dilferesque.

6. nyjunc

I think Trent Dilfer is vastly underrated- notice how many SBs Bal has been in since? but he's irrelevant to this conversation.

The average fan just looking at fantasy #s will say no way but if you watched him play in 2010(and you saw him outplay Brady in your last game of '10) then you'd know just how good he was.

7. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

First off, totally agree with you about Dilfer being underrated. I think he is also one of the best analysts evaluating QB's.

Sanchez playoff game against the Pats was probably his best game as a professional QB. Not overwhelming stats, but he made great throws, extended drives, and most importantly, protected the football.

But the problem is, that is 1 game out of the 53 that he has started.

8. nyjunc

he definitely needs to be more consistent but he's played more than one good game, he was excellent at NE in that huge spot. In 2010 he led us back 4-5 times late w/ huge plays, he had a couple of clunkers(at NE, vs. Mia) that overshadow some of his good play such as 6 TD passes in 2 wins over NE. He took a step back last year and I said this before the last 3 games as prior to those last 3 his #s were pretty good and way up across the board. I look forward to year 4.

I agree on Dilfer, I think he's the best analyst on TV. Unfortunately after being high on sanchez through his first 2 years he soured on him a bit last year but he was fair. he took a step back last year.

9. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

i disagree if you look at the numbers and considering his situation with no run game, no deep threat, and wayne hunter getting him killed...He statistically was better than his first two years in a worse situation...the only number that went up from year 2 to 3 was turnovers and well if you watched last season you would understand why.

10. Big Blocker

Lmao, is that what that huge homer junc said? Why stop at 1000?

Of course if everyone were as big a homer as him, he'd have no one to argue with.

Despite the humor, I think I will leave him on ignore.

11. nyjunc

it's not about #s, he was much better than his #s in 2010, he was much worse than his #s in 2011.

we all know why you have me on ignore. Stop being a baby.

12. Big Blocker

Yeah, I did. He held the ball too long, did things like throw interceptions to defensive linemen, had a horrible sack to Qb hit ratio, actually worsened as the year went on in his third year, and was a big factor in the Jets losing their last three and ending up out of the playoffs.

Some marginal improvement in this or that stat were meaningless given his need to step it up in his third year and get out of the bottom quarter of starting Qb's.

Some Jet fans want to support a marginal player who is not developing quickly enough. Some defend poor reads of opponents, a level of inconsistency the only thing that is consistent about is that he is always inconsistent, and most obnoxiously blame everyone else on the team down to the ball boy and bus driver rather than the starting Qb.

Other fans like me are pissed we are saddled with the fifth pick in the draft, around whom the FO and CS have designed the whole offense, a guy who whatever you want to say about the OL had three of those guys in front of him go to the Pro Bowl, who can't get out of the bottom quarter of starting Qb's after three years. Not enough development, still bad judgment, an actual increase in game killing turnovers, and who does not show he knows how to read defenses.

I would say I am sick of all the excuses, but I guess I just take them for granted these days. I don't understand that kind of homerism. It is not a team homerism, it is a single player homerism. In other words it is perplexing more than sickening. What motivates that kind of support? How much more of this lousy football from the Qb before this changes?

I guess part of the problem is many of the posters here who have given up on Sanchez just don't post much. His supporters tend to stick it out more. I don't know if htat is to their credit or not. I know of a few who have stopped, though, and expect there are many others. But this is not a popularity contest - what eventually happens with him, even the unlikely case that he suddenly becomes a quality quarterback, will not depend on what is said here, even what I say.

It is an interesting study in human nature, I guess.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Most of us supporters just understand the cause and effect having receivers who can't get open, or an OL who did a terrible job pass blocking. The only PB worthy OL we had last year is Mangold. Brick had a terrible year, and Moore actually had a down year. The other two OL were either injured (Slauson) or sucked (Hunter). We had no running game and defenses stacked the box because we had no deep threat - even if we did have a deep threat, Sanchez had no time to get them the ball.

Not being able to realize any of this and just blaming Sanchez shows a lack of Offensive Comprehension.

Was Sanchez not to blame? Of course not. But lets be realistic about what happened last year. The entire offense stunk and it all started with the OL.

14. Big Blocker

I have never come close to saying Sanchez was the only problem on the team last year.

I have said Hunter was the worst starter on the OL. But Sanchez defenders overstate how bad the OL was as a whole. Comparison of the sack v. Qb hits stats is telling. By any fair measure Sanchez, at best, was just as bad as the rest of the O. The difference? Not all other players on O are fifth picks in the draft.

He is not performing as well as he should, and sometime very soon the Jets are going to have to fish or cut bait with him. This talk of marginal improvement last year is Kool Aide drinking. He needs to show more than marginal improvement this year, or one of two things will happen. Either the Jets will move him out, or we will see them go into 13 wasting yet another year on a Qb who is simply not good enough.

I do not pretend to be certain that he is going to suck again. I hope he does not. But the odds of substantial improvement, no matter what else happens on the O, is slim.

Sanchez needs to do his part to upgrade the O. He can't wait to have everything around him be perfect. Among other things that will never happen.

He needs to get better enough to be somewhere in that 12-17, maybe even 18 range, or it will take too much else right to get to the playoffs. Let alone win an SB.

I saw somewhere that the bookmakers odds of the Jets winning the SB this year is one out of a hundred. Tells you something.

15. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Actually, the Jets are 25:1 to win the Super Bowl.

Here are the current odds:

Top 5 Bets
    1. Pittsburgh Steelers
    2. Green Bay Packers
    3. New England Patriots
    4. Philadelphia Eagles
    5. Denver Broncos

5 Teams to Avoid
    1. Baltimore Ravens
    2. San Francisco 49ers
    3. New Orleans Saints
    4. Houston Texans
    5. New York Jets

Contenders

Green Bay Packers
    13/2
    The Packers are the early favorites, unsurprisingly. I think the fact that they choked in the playoffs is actually helping their odds this year, with people assuming it can’t happen two years in a row. I like the Packers chances next season as much as any teams. I’d say the oddsmakers are giving them a fair shake.

New England Patriots
    8/1
    The Patriots have the second best odds out there right now after the Packers. At 8/1, I think the Patriots are being fairly rated by oddsmakers.

San Francisco 49ers
    10/1
    I think the 49ers are being overrated slightly at 10/1. I would stay away from them. I think they’re going to be a really good football team, I’m just not confident that Alex Smith can win a Super Bowl. I think they’re one of the best teams in football, but a few other teams have higher ceilings.

Denver Broncos
    12/1
    I love the Colts at 12/1. With Peyton Manning at quarterback, jump on these odds.

Houston Texans
    12/1
    I think 12/1 is a little high for Houston. I’d stay away from them. I think some teams with lower odds actually have a better shot to win the Super Bowl.

Philadelphia Eagles
    14/1
    The Eagles are a great bet at 14/1. They have all the talent necessary to win a Super Bowl. Don’t
    be discouraged by their disappointing season last year, as it was somewhat of an anomaly. I’m
    not saying the Eagles are going to win it all, but I think their chances are being
    underrated by the oddsmakers.

Baltimore Ravens
    16/1
    Stay away from the Ravens. I’d be shocked if they won the Super Bowl, with Joe Flacco and a
    defense that’s on the decline in my opinion.

New Orleans Saints
    16/1
    I don’t like the Saints at all with all the turmoil going on in New Orleans. If their odds were lower they would make a decent sleeper pick, but 16/1 just seems awfully high to me.

New York Giants
    16/1
    The odds may be stacked against the Giants repeating, but the oddsmakers have overcompensated for this in my opinion. At 16/1, the Giants are a quality bet.

Chicago Bears
    20/1
    The Bears are being underrated in my opinion. If they can get their offensive line together, they could be really dangerous. Good bet.

Dallas Cowboys
    20/1
    The Cowboys are overrated at 20/1. They’ve got potential, but stay away from them with those odds. This isn’t surprising though. The Cowboys are always overrated.

Pittsburgh Steelers
    20/1
    Of all the teams I’ve covered so far, none are being more underrated by oddsmakers than the Steelers. They had a great draft and the best defense in football last season. If you’re betting on the Steelers, you’re betting that Ben Roethlisberger can stay healthy. That’s never a guarantee, but the chances of this increased dramatically with the Steelers first and second round draft picks. If they stay at 20/1, the Steelers are the best bet in terms of odds to win the Super Bowl in my opinion.

San Diego Chargers
    22/1
    I like the Chargers at 22/1. They’re traditionally underachievers, but they have the talent to win the Super Bowl.

Atlanta Falcons
    25/1
    Until Matt Ryan proves he can win a playoff game, stay away from the Falcons.

Detroit Lions
    25/1
    The Lions are never going to win a Super Bowl with that defense.

New York Jets
    25/1
    The Jets are way overrated at 25/1. I don’t think they’re even going to make the playoffs.

Carolina Panthers
    35/1
    The Panthers are an exciting team, but a little overrated at 35/1. Like the Jets, I’d be quite surprised if they even made the playoffs.

Cincinnati Bengals
    40/1
    The Bengals are being rated fairly. They should be a good team, but I don’t think they have a high enough ceiling to even consider betting on them to win the Super Bowl.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/2013-super-bowl-odds-who-are-best-bets/14837/

16. Big Blocker

Heh the bolded part. Manning went to Denver, but he did not take the team name with him. Too funny.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The bold is a joke right? You aren't being serious with that line.

I don't think it is slim. We definitely have much better talent around him than we did last year. I do think its slim he will be an elite QB. But I don't think top 15 or top 10 is at tough as people are saying.

18. nyjunc

Absolutely I am 100% serious, Trent Dilfer is vastly underrated. He was never a great QB but that team wasn't winning w/o him as great as that D was. They needed a QB to limit mistakes and make some big plays which is exactly what he did.

Too many fans just look at meaningless fantasy #s, they see Dilfer didn't put up great #s and assume he was along for the ride. The greatest D's in the history of the game still need quality QB play to win. Give me a Dilfer type over a Rivers type any day.

19. Big Blocker

I certainly hope you are right, and it is possible. Cut down on turnovers, connect on some deeper out patterns to keep the opponent's D honest. Improve the completion percentage.

What he will really have to do is read the defenses he faces better. But this is where my skepticism of him comes in - he doesn't do that well and shows no real signs of improvement in that huge aspect of his game after three years as the starter.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

we already won a super bowl with a guy just like that........

bellichek had no problem defending noodle arm exactly because he could not make all the throws, especially outs and deep passes that took forever to arrive.