Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't mention the fumbles for one primary reason, Junc has argued in the past it doesn't matter about a fumble all that matters is who recovered it. He argues that point as though skill determines who recovers a fumble and not just which way the ball happens to bounce. I know because I've been round and round with him on that matter. The NFL average is somewhere between 60% and 65% of fumbles are recovered by the defense simply because there tend to be more defensive players focused on the ball than offensive players.

But it would have been a valid argument since even there flacco has fewer fumbles in one more full season of play than Sanchez...

2. 1968jetsfan

this thread will sadly continue as long as Sanchez is a Jet....

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Maybe even beyond, outside of the Jets forum and in the NFL one.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

It's like the Tebow argument. The team won with him at QB, does that mean it's a consistent way to win? There is no way to prove it since well they aren't playing anymore. Especially since Sanchez has had some ridiculously different years, so you never know what Sanchez you are getting.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Wow that is funny. He will twist anything including the truth. I think the lesson here is do not argue with crazy people.

What can be learned by looking at total fumbles is sanchez's total fumbles has been consistent throughtout his career never having less than 9. the only number that changes is the luck factor of how many are recovered.

What I find interesting is the 2010 season. In that season Sanchez has 9 fumbles and only 1 lost. Sanchez also led the league with 15 dropped INTs. The second least number of dropped INTs was 9. An amazing amount of luck. If Sanchez was just tied for the luckiest QB and only had 9 dropped INTs he has closed to his normal 18 INTS if he has average luck he ends up with 23 INTs. Give him average luck on fumble recoveries along with really good luck on dropped INTs and he ends up right about his normal amount of 26 turnovers in 2010. Which gives one the argument that Sanchez played his normal self in 2010 just with some amazing luck. Keep in mind that is the same number of plays that should have been turnovers in 2010 while he was rarely allowed to throw in passing situations. These numbers dispute the idea that Sanchez has regressed over his 4 years and argue that he has slightly improved.

#16385 Noam, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  6. mute

mute Well-Known Member

yup the years we were winning.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Smith is in because Sanchez is hurt. Sanchez will remain a Jet for the remainder of the year, at least.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Smith would have been the starter anyway.

9. feldspar

feldspar Member

Yeah, but that third-and-long play from 4 years ago still hasn't been discussed. Of course, that play is fresh in my mind because I watch that game over and over again all the time.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons this could be a very interesting season and better than you might think is because hopefully it's the end of Mark Sanchez being the Jets starting Qb. For the first time in four years he wasn't just handed the job even though he has the lowest QBR in the NFL for his four years as starter. So to me we start off with a positive even with a rookie Qb: an upgrade at the most important position, Qb. And with that improvement in play everywhere. Guys will block better, run faster, try harder when they know they have a chance to win. Unlike last year when their Qb took them out of games.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Be ause by most reporting Sanchez was going to start till Rex went full on Kotite, and played him behind Peterman at Center.

Smith is in because of Injury nothing more.

Heard a guy on WFAN, that runs a betting house, saying matter of factly, the line would go down if Sanchez was starting (i.e. Vegas oddsmakers like Sanchez)

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. He would not.

Remind me again what passer rating Smith put up, in the preseason?

54.9?

Lower than any of Sanchez? By alot.

#16392 Hobbes3259, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He played in 1-1/2 games in his NFL career to date. That's some context for you right there.

14. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I KNOW stats are not everything, but have some fun by going to the NFL website and switching over the last 4 years. Even the years the Jets WON Sanchez was in the bottom 3rd of the league.

I'm as much a Jets fan as anyone and I WANTED Sanchez to work out, but I DEFY any Sanchez apologists to say that if Sanchez was on ANY OTHER TEAM, you would want him here to be your starting QB.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2010

15. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

Preseason is preseason. Lets see what Geno can do with an open playbook. Although, when Sanchez comes back healthy I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do with an open playbook.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I don't think people understand my point. I'm talking about assigning blame for a particular play. Logic dictates that each play is its own given set of circumstances. Even if Sanchez turned it over 100 times in a row, it wouldn't necessarily mean he'd be to blame if the 101th turnover happened, just because of the last 100. It's fallacious reasoning and poor logic. All I'm saying is that people would blame Sanchez for the same exact play and credit the defense if it was Flacco. It's 100% illogical. I wasn't saying you shouldn't criticize Sanchez for a pick 6. It's just that every single pick 6 Sanchez threw was blamed directly on him, end of story.

17. 1968jetsfan

Yep, all valid points :D
    Sanchez has been very fortunate in the dropped interception department as well most of his career, usually in the top 1/2 of QBs in the number of dropped picks.

18. 1968jetsfan

Illogical is drawing a comparison between the two in this way.
    While each play is it's own individual circumstance its' also true that continued poor judgment. Every QB will throw some interceptions, that's inevitable, it comes with the territory. If those aren't his pattern he gets a break. On the other hand if they are the QB's established pattern they don't get a pass on it (pun intended).

So your right, in a sense, that one play should not define good or bad QB, one play, one game, heck even 1 season does not dictate good or bad. But when a player has an established pattern of interceptions and turnovers then each turnover is viewed differently, it's part of the pattern.

Even in Sanchez one season where he threw fewer than 18 Picks he led the league by far in terms of dropped interceptions, a full 6 dropped picks over the #2 ranked person who had I think 9. and by dropped interceptions foodball outsiders only considers dropped picks that hit the defender in the chest or had both hands on the ball without diving or lunging...aka passes that were pretty much dead on target to the defender. Think about that for just a moment.

So no, Sanchez doesn't get a break on picks BECAUSE they are his pattern, poor judgment IS his pattern. He's not the Worst in turnovers over the past 4 years, or maybe 2nd worst, by accident. There are teams with MUCH worse coaching and much worse receivers and much worse O-Lines than Sanchez has had over his 4 year career. But Sanchez underperforms ALL of them.

No, one play doesn't make a difference, But when you have 4 seasons of data on someone the trends are stark and clear.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey! Yoda's joined the board!

20. 1968jetsfan

Tis better to be Yoda and contextually correct than it is to be grammatically correct but factually errant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.