Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who said anything about Sanchez?

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

saw this on BR, a points based ranking of the best young QB's in the NFL. Don't want to talk about the actual rankings but rather the format, if anybody had to give Sanchez one of these what would you rank him?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1537269-who-is-the-nfls-best-young-franchise-qb/page/2

Just based on my understanding of Sanchez:

pocket presence: 4/10-

he often plays scared, making dopey decisions rather than take a sack or something else. i get the air of man trying his best not to screw up that relies on committing to a receiver or trying to have a gunslinger mentality to no avail. Play breaks down he's usually got nothing.

accuracy: 6/10-

not looking at completion percentage, Mark has a tendency to over or under throw at times, sometimes deriding from poorer habits. Not only does he lack an elite ability to put the ball in tight spaces sometimes he delays his throws so much that he eliminates a possibility for a good play and ruins his pass placement.

Really I'm being a little generous with a 6 for #6. maybe its his deep ball which seems fine, I don't know...

intangibles/X-factor- 4/10-

has bad habits like pump faking uselessly and having bad ball handling skills, only rarely has he ever lead his team to victory. sometimes he's on but not often, he's got nothing special going for him, average play all around but can often squander even playing at that level. He's the type of QB thats more a utility than a game changer.

consistency: 5/10-

partly to no fault of his own, he hasn't developed well over time. I don't know if i can rely on him every sunday he has flashes but they are few and far between. We can go all day into the whys of this, but theres no denying he lacks positive consistency and has regressed slightly (can't ignore 2012 it happened and he has to move up from there, not the year before)

arm strength: 8/10-

never seen any real trouble with this, NFL level, can make deep throws.

total:27/50

mind you thats from a vague memory of Sanchez's play. (there a source I can get decent film of him from?)

I'd especially like to see what 1968, hobbes and Junc give him.

#10542 TonyMaC, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm going to go off the totality of his career:

Pocket Presence: After the 2010 season would have given him a 7 or 8. Now 4/10.

Accuracy: 5/10 or 6/10. Average accuracy. It goes away from time to time and other teams it's pinpoint. That ties in with consistency below and what you expect from every snap.

Consistency: 2/10. Just never know what you are getting from. No idea what to expect game in and game out. The QB in NE who went 9/11 leading a nice comeback, or the QB in TEN who throws 4 INTs and rushes his throws.

X Factor/Intangibles: After 2010 this would be a 7 or 8. Now 5/10 which is probably generous. "Does he bring something special to the game that few of his peers could hope to emulate?" No. There was once a time it seemed he did, but that's been 2-3 years past now.

Arm Strength: 7/10. It's not a cannon, but it gets the job done and he can squeeze off some wow throws with terrible footing.

Total 24/50.

EDIT: I was just thinking if you did this after every season for Mark Sanchez, so after the 2009 season. After the 2010 season including 09 and 2010. After the 2011 season including the past 3. Each category would fluctuate wildly.

#10543 displacedfan, Jun 19, 2013
  4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

28, total, however, thats based on his performance, with shit.

I would say the first 3 categories, should be 7 across the board. My thinking, is that playing in a decent offense will lend itself to that.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

TonyMaC, since you've brought up Bleacher Report, here's some excerpts from a 2009 Bleacher Report evaluation of Mark Sanchez coming into the NFL Draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/125858-why-mark-sanchez-is-a-bargain-as-the-no-1-pick

6. displacedfan

Not really, his accuracy/consistency problems have been there all 4 years with us.

7. Hobbes3259

So has shit OCing.

Schottenheimer himself admitted there were not enough easy throws, in the system.
    Simms would also point it out constantly.

2 throws a game, puts him over 60%..id wager he well be comfortably north of that under Morningwood.

8. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

What would comfortably north of 60% be to you? 67%? 65%? We already have a sig bet going, so how about an avatar wager?

9. displacedfan

1) Completion percentage only doesn't determine if a QB is great, good, bad, etc. It's one factor of many.

2) Sanchez has never shown the ability to complete 60% of his passes over the course of a season. What makes you think adding 32/32 onto his % is a reliable method to adding onto his comp %.

10. Hobbes3259

Im saying, north of 60% thats all. Generally accepted as a decent completion pct.

11. Hobbes3259

Sure, Im still wearing the Obama, whats your bet?

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

For what year? If you take his average completion percentage over his career, its 55%. Now, if you add 4-4 to each game, you get ~60%. There's a big difference of adding another 64 out of 64 passes completed over the course of a season. I think its pretty fair that you can go as far as to say that its a big enough difference to affect the win column by a game or two.

Its never as simple as you say Hobbes.

13. Hobbes3259

(not attempts, nice try...not incompletes)

Laxin, they have calculators. Add 32 to any of his completion numbers,

It puts him north of 60%

(pssst...try. 2 completions a game, x 16x4, which...is 128, though he missed a coupke games but, we are roughing it)

1028, plus 128, is 1156.

1156/1867, is what exactly? 62%?

#10553 Hobbes3259, Jun 19, 2013
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

15. displacedfan

The actual quote

"I haven't walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there -- and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance."

Which is what we all want, the person who's playing better. For Sanchez's sake, I hope in his 5th year he can beat out a rookie

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Nice to see a name on a quote for a change.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The part you bolded is what any fan/player wants. That player will be Sanchez though. Mangold worded it very well, as to not insult Geno or Greg, but the message I got out of it is the team is still behind Sanchez. Which is big, since that one unnamed player said the locker room wasn't behind 6.

#10557 The Dark Knight, Jun 19, 2013
  18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^Agreed. This puts that to rest. Probably could've done it sooner.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mangold can get the fuck out to

I don't wanna hear shit about Sanchez starting until we see him in game action

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Not really... Mangold, he'll go with what he's used too of course but hey if Sanchez plays mediocre come august and Geno gets his foot work down more consistently (which he sometimes does), he might start in spite of our pro bowlers words.

... sheesh, somebody's a little testy. they're just words, the coaches will see who is the definite answer in august relax. He's only supporting what he knows.

I think this might be stemming from just not being used to the rookie, he's not seen as a leader just yet, not like Mark, and while both have reportedly been off and on. they'll go with the older guy in terms of who they want there.

Smith is a kid, Sanchez is an equal, but that will matter only a little as we go into the season.

Smith plays better he gets the job, endorsement or no. But really we all need to relax, this will be settled in less than two months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.