Sanchez just sucks... just sucks. (all Sanchez complaints here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweet P, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason you go get a vet to play QB for you next season is that you have two primary motives in play.

First, you want to find your next QB and make him a good long-term solution. You're not going to get a vet who can do that, it's going to have to be a young guy. You also don't want to throw the young guy out there on the field until you've gotten him ready to play in your system and centered to play in the NY/NJ media market which is one of the toughest markets in the NFL.

Second, you really don't want to blow off the fans next year with a terrible season, the kind of season you would likely have if you chose to put a raw rookie out there with the kind of weapons the Jets have around him. There's also a lot of raw emotion that has accumulated around the Sanchez/Tebow situation right now and you want a seasoned vet who will take it all in stride next year and can handle whatever the fans are going to dish out.

That argues that you want to go find a guy who can keep it together for a year or two while your young guy learns on the sidelines and gets prepped to take over.

You also want a vet to give feedback to the Jets offensive staff about the inadequacies of whatever offensive system you are installing next. The Jets have not had a highly competent offensive staff in-house for years now and expecting a rookie to be able to push back against even obvious problems is unreasonable.

Get the vet. Let him install the new system. Move him out in a year or two with thanks for a job well done when the franchise is ready to go. Hasselbeck would be perfect. He's 37, so no problem moving him out in a year or two and he'll be grateful for the opportunity to actually play some at the end of his career. He also grew up in Holmgren systems so he knows bullshit when he sees it.

#4321 Br4d, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Talent? Where?

Extending plays? To the other team's defense? Yeah, that's right.

If he was just a mediocre QB instead of absolutely terrible, we would have two more wins right now. Four of our losses this season can be directly attributed to Sanchez.

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

So it's the because of lack of talent in the receiving corps that he is throwing into double coverage off his back foot?

4. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Sanchez's should not even be allowed to wear the color green ever again

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

pretty much, he has nowhere to throw and he's throwing up prayers. That and mentally he is shot right now.

6. Johnnywad119

Johnnywad119 New Member

Would have been better off letting Namath play QB last night.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

are you saying we draft a guy and bring in a vet to lead? then keep sanchez as the third only because of cap ramifications?

you know that might not be all that bad of an idea. just so long as i dont have to see him in a uniform again.

8. Ted

Ted Member

So he throws up prayers that turn into interceptions instead of throwing the ball away. That is not what you want your QB to do.

He is shot mentally. He has no fire. He pouts and whines instead of getting angry. He's done. You need to stop allowing your homerism to cloud your judgement.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I would never consider myself a Sanchez apologist, I've been critical of him in the past and will continue to be critical of him now. He sucked last night. Just plain was terrible, and not for the first time. I feel like he cost this team the game last night, even an average QB with the same guys on the field should have done better. Bare minimum we should have had a few extra FGs that would have made the difference.

The absolute only defense I would grant Sanchez is that he isn't playing with much on offense. The oline was good for the most part but then blew huge blitz pickups that resulted in sacks, but that happens for most teams so that's not really a make or break thing. On replays I never really noticed any receivers open that he could have thrown to instead of who he did throw to...which typically he over threw (Greene) or under threw (Cumberland TD) or threw into triple coverage instead of single man-to-man coverage. It doesn't matter who your receivers are if you are over or under throwing it that's a QB issue.

I believe it is mostly mental. I believe that he has the physical ability to be at least a passable although by no means elite QB. The problem is you can rehab a physical injury but how do you rehab a mental one? Personally I don't think you can, or at least it would take too long and wouldn't be worth the time and effort that it would take.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think Sanchez will be back next year if for no other reason than the money he is owed. I think they will try and revamp the offense to give him more weapons. He'll start but be on a very short leash. If he falters (which we're all fairly sure he will, other than nyjunc) then they put in McElroy or whoever (not Tebow, they will trade him for scraps in the offseason IMO) and draft a new QB in the 2014 draft and cut Sanchez then. Assuming that McElroy doesn't prove himself at least, if he struggles as well you have to figure they will be among the worst in the league and get good draft position, if not then they may have to trade up to get a legit franchise QB...although, clearly, that didn't work last time.

#4329 deerow84, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. Br4d

Yeah. Although the fire has burned really hot here at the end. He may be done. The Sanchez I saw last night had less regard for ball security than the Sanchez of 2009 and this was a winnable game all night that he kept giving away.

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

He finds open DB's and D-linemen often enough.

Where stuck with him next year, but if he is going to be in a competition for quarterback next season, I want some one other than Rex making the decision. There's no F'in way Mark gave us our best chance to win the past few weeks.

12. Ted

Ted Member

I think you are better off signing Matt Moore who won't cost that much and requires no compensation. Moore is just as good as Hasselback at this stage in his career and has had a great attitude sitting behind and helping Tannehill.

13. Br4d

I think the Jets draft a QB, maybe trade down some to get the right value near the end of the 1st or preferentially the beginning of the 2nd. I think they sign a vet, and there are a few of them likely to be out there this off-season, to hold down the fort. I really think they have to find a way to cut ties with Sanchez.

Yeah, Richard Todd did recover from similar debacles but nobody was ever really comfortable with him at QB after those struggles. Not even when the Jets went to the AFC Championship game in 1982. Todd had a good year but his last game for the Jets was a 5 pick atrocity under pressure.

Sanchez may have some play left in him but he is done in NY. Every good thing that happens will get luke-warm applause and every mistake will bring on the heavy artillery. Crowd dynamics matter. You can't win with a guy that people distrust at QB. It always breaks down in the end just like it did with Todd.

14. Br4d

Moore has never played in NY. I don't think he could handle what will happen next year if the Jets get off to a rocky start. You also don't want any confusion about the role the guy is playing next year: placeholder.

If Hasselbeck had a great season out of nowhere, well he still isn't going to keep the young guy on the bench for long. If Moore had his best season it might set the franchise back 5 years sorting that all out.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i liked todd, but like you said was never comfortable with him. i hope they can find a way to cut those ties, i know it will be difficult but i am convinced he is holding the entire organization back right now.

everyone got fired up when he was removed a few weeks ago. i am willing to bet they get fired up when he gets benched this week too. i just cant see us starting him at home this week, there were guys out there with bags with sanchez and tebow written on them in tennessee... i cant imagine what it will be like at home next week.

16. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Expect the Jets to make a starting QB change this week vs the Chargers. #nyj

We all know what that means.....McElroy probably.

17. ArmandJ

He really is holding us back. He's the sole reason why we're the 'joke of the NFL'. Seriously, how many of those 'come on man' and 'blooper reels' and 'Top 10...NOT' sportscenter plays does Sanchez have.

Now how many does the rest of the team have?

18. ArmandJ

Thank the Lord Jesus.

19. actofgod22

actofgod22 Member

It's all been said before, but I would like to go on record saying I never liked Sanchez. He's not smart, he's inaccurate, he fumbles and he's not good enough to gamble the way he does.

He's far from the only disgustingly gaping hole on this team, but he will forever be public enemy #1 since he so obviously single-handedly gives away games. IIRC he has over 85 turnovers himself for his career. yikes.

20. Ted

Ted Member

Couple of things. I believe Hasselback will cost you a draft pick which at this point are precious. Also, Moore having a great season works in their favor. He is still young and you may get more then one productive season from him. If they opt to go to the future, Moore is a solid backup.

Projecting how a rookie is going to develop is never easy, particularily in light of this QB class being less then desireable. With Hasselback, you can get a year maybe two before turning it over but then you are then searching for and signing a plan B as a back up if the youngster doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.