Sanchez interception today...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Nov 27, 2011.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I agree it was a terrible pass, and more troubling is his recent history of throwing picks because he doesnt read the underneath coverage.

But the play call is an absolute joke. The only "checkdown" was I guess Greene, who was also the guy who the handoff was faked to. It's an atrocious call to make pretty much at any time, but especially when your Qb is going to be 4 yards deep in the end zone.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Greene was the other option. It was designed for him to stay in and block, and then go out for a pass.

Its well known that this is a play you don't run from your endzone. Mark should have checked out of it, but schotty has no business being this stupid.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

All Sanchez had to do when it was covered was scramble a yard or two to the side so he's outside the box and dump the ball out of bounds.....that would have been the heads up play....that would have been the smart play...instead Sanchez threw the ball.

A QB NEVER has to throw the ball to a reciever, even if he doesn't roam out of the pocket all he has to do is short hop the ball to the receiver as long as it's in the area of the reciever it's not grounding. If you have eligable receivers staying back to block all you got to do is put the ball in the area of one of those eligable receivers at their feet, even if their back is turned, it's not grounding...reciever in the area.

Granted it was a poor cally By Schotty, assuming Sanchez didn't check the call at the line, but there is also no excuse for Sanchez Throwing that ball.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

But my biggest gripe on Sanchez isn't his interceptions, it's his inaccuracy in his throws and his slow reads on open receivers that lead to late throws. By being late and inaccurate he forces recievers to adjust to the ball rather than catching in movement and kills YAC, which is a big part of why he ranks 23rd in the league on average yards per attempt.

#164 1968jetsfan, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Word. It's pretty much undisputed that Schottenheimer's a problem.... Even in a game where they go 4-4 in the red zone this offense still managed to leave you scratching your head.

I still think the Jets can win with Sanchez. The OL has fucked him over in games this year, but he also has been making occasional back-breaking INTs that can't be happening in January. I trust that he'll get it together.... Schitt, not so much.

6. The_W

The_W Banned

I'm not playing dumb here. I just don't understand how you can definately say that if the call wold've been a fake to the FB, or a FB dive for all it matters, that Barnett would've abandon his outside responsibility. I mean the run action is a counter trap play to right, but not one of the Bills LBs even react to the counter step. Barnett's initial step is to the play side and he would've been there regardless. Just look it up.
    If you don't agree, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Bottom line is the play call was atrocius and most of the end result can be pinned on the offensive coordinator.

7. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I agree on both points. There's no question that we could upgrade on Schottenheimer as our play caller.

There's also no question that we can win with Sanchez--as long as our defense and our running game come to play. Hell, we were a few bad plays from going to the Super Bowl with this guy in back to back years, it's not like he's regressed from that point (despite what the ESPN talking heads like to say.)

I do think that it's fair to start seriously questioning how much better Sanchez is going to get, though. Throws like this one against Buffalo or last week's pick 6 against Denver are just unacceptable, and something that you really don't want to still be seeing from a 3rd year starter.

If Sanchez stays at roughly this level (a league average QB for the most part,) we can get by with that. It's not the kind of value that you want from a top 5 pick, but it's not like we drafted Akili Smith here.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Since the Jets wlll NEVER, I repeat NEVER fire Schotty as long as Rex is coach,Tanny is GM and Marty is great pals with Woody, this is a moot point. Sanchez will be exactly what he is for the foreseeable future. Erratic, inconsistent, sometimes great, sometimes bad, sometimes awful. Get used to it.

#168 Cman68, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

rex didnt want him in the first place why would he care if he gets canned?

10. Cman68

Can you name the last person Rex Ryan fired from his staff since he's been coach of the NYJ's?

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you mean the ENTIRE 2.5 years of which we have won a ton of games?

no cant remember one

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

sal alosi resigned lol

but seriously, can rex fire people? probably not.

13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

and this haha. it hasnt even been 3 years. maybe rex wll can everyone and start over we have no idea. maybe he has a 3 year window for judgment. maybe his hands are tied cause its only his third year and he doesnt have the kind of pull other coaches we like to compare rex to have.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Except, I was actually watching the play, both in RT and slo mo yesterday.

He had nowhere to go with that ball, or his feet...Even in that Pic, his 4 yards deep, and that's stepping INTO the throw.

15. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

let the haterz hate. Mark don't give a damn about them.

16. The_W

The_W Banned

Doug Plank after the 09 season comes to mind and then the d-line coach last year who's name I can't remember now.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The problem here is that he is standing 4 yards deep in his own endzone. Under this added pressure, it's hard to make those decisions.

What if he scrambles and one of the Jets OLineman grabs a jersey?

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

A point I made yesterday. There was ZERO to do except make the play.

Had he seen the DB undercut the route, he could have heaved it down the field, but the DB was in the right spot, coming from the right to left.

19. Cman68

Actually, here's the low down on Plank and friends...

There you go. So Rex can fire folks when he wants to.

20. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

Emmanuel Cook for fucking around in practice...