Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah but he had almost triple the amount of TDs his rookie season. The turnover problem can be fixed, look at Eli last season and this season.

2. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

Yea but there are some throws that i look at when i watch these games that no wr will be able to help him on. Part of the reason he forced a lot of throws was because the pass rush closed the pocket and sanchez needed to make a throw, and usually it was way off. i still think that he can become a good quarterback for this team but right now he is still making too many plays that make me facepalm

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I would rather the numbers show regression and him playing better in the final three games when the season was on the line than seeing him have more TD's and disappearing in the last 3 games.

4. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

He had 15 TDs his rookie season. This year is exactly 2 more than double. I'm not sure the turnovers can be fixed when they come from very poor decision making and throws. Eli had already shown that he could limit turnovers in the previous years. Sanchez has not.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

125 points off turnovers, a record of 8-8...why can't you see the regression? Did you watch the last 3 games? And going from lousy to mediocre in what everybody expects to be your breakout year is a regression.

#25 Don, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

These stats dont show you this.

The Jets lead the nfl in points allowed off of turnovers.

Thats on Sanchez more than ANYBODY

7. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

His YPA has declined every year, but that's on Schitty and Sanchez's lack on improvement in accuracy. And you can teach ball security. A LOT of great players had problems when they were young.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He struggled with the Pick six. Need to improve ball security issues for 2012. Overall Sanchez has improved pretty steadily over his 3 seasons in the league. Is now a slightly above average NFL QB.

The major cause for his turnovers was the horrendous line play he had to deal with all season. Totally unacceptable job by the OL. Need to go get a stud RT this yr and get rid of some guys

9. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Has it been an overall regression? Probably not.

What has been an overall regression is pass protection.

Sacks per year:
    2009: 26
    2010: 27
    2011: 39

It is interesting to note that he is putting the ball on the ground ~10x per season (10, 9, 10) respectively. This alone is a concerning trend that has shown ZERO improvement.

10. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

Still has terrible accuracy and decision making skills. It's hilarious how many excuses you guys make

11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Dude, if you're gonna count rushing tds you have to count fumbles, too. He lost 6 or 8 of those, so it's more like 32 tds and 26 turnovers.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He has been the 28th, 27th and 23rd ranked QB in his three years. Get over it, he sucks, he isn't even average and he will never win anything as long as he lives. Stop defending him, you are embarrassing yourselves.

13. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

This is the appropriate response. He hasn't regressed save cherry picking a few stat categories. Unfortunately, his IMPROVEMENTS are pretty small compared to last year save the touchdowns. That should be the concern to Jets fans and followers.

14. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I read yesterday that almost HALF our points allowed by the team as a whole came from turnovers. That is both absurd and incomprehensible.

15. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Slightly improving from total shit numbers to bad numbers to pretty bad numbers isn't really something to brag about. Also, you included his rushing TDs to get to 32 touchdowns. If you are going to do that you must also add fumbles with Ints bringing that number to 28.

16. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Even where the stats say he is progressing it's still ugly against the rest of the league.
    He moved from 27th to 23rd in passer rating, he moved from 29th to 28th in Completion percentage.
    The best move was that he went from 19th in passing TDs to 9th.

Now the regressions

He dropped from 26th to 27th in Average. He went from 13th most INT to 5th most. He led the leage in fumbles lost.

17. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

His touchdowns rising can also share some credit with Plaxico showing up in the redzone.

Brady had one season over 28 TD's until we drafted two huge redzone targets in Gronkowski and Hernandez who have accounted for 40 (41 if you count a lateral) touchdowns over two seasons.

That's over half of the his touchdowns since the TEs were drafted.

While I think this shows he can improve with the proper targets, there are times when he retracts into his shell and just disappears during games. You can't have that from a franchise QB.

His biggest issue isn't his decision making or accuracy, it is his inconsistency, which I'm not sure is a coachable trait to fix. Decision making and accuracy should improve with experience and a good work ethic, and both of those are also coming along much more slowly than anyone (at least the Jets) would like to see, the inconsistency has always been there. He'll throw for 300 with 2 td's and rush for another one week, throw for 150 yards and 4 picks the next.

I don't think he'll be the starting QB in 2013 and is only remaining as such for 2012 due to the Jets not being in position to take Luck or RG3 and Manning likely staying in Indy.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The stats are nice but don't tell the story of just how bad he looked at times. I'm not among the crowd who wants to run him out of town but it is apparent he needs help both along the Oline and at the skill positions if we want to go anywhere with him as our QB at this time.

When the running game is working Mark can look very good, but with a porus Oline and little help from the ground game he looked down right awful at times.

19. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Those stats look nice unless you actually watched the games and realize they mean shit and he sucked.

Do you want to know the true value of a QB? Put away the stat sheet and simply ASK fans of that QB's team how they feel about him.

Should we start another poll?

20. Roger Vick

Roger Vick Banned

It's not his fault if our offensive players can't tackle.