Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Are we going to have months of, "Darnold isn't good enough so lets immediately reach for a QB with a top10 pick"?

I'm not going to spend a top 10 pick on any QB I don't love. Wilson wont last beyond 10. The level of competition Wilson plays against is miles below what he'd see in the NFL. Its miles below what Fields plays against. Don't buy the hype. He is not a top 10 pick. Let it go people.

We need to trade out of 2 to increase our capital.
    Trade Sam and Mosley.
    Build out our team this draft, and accrue picks for next year.
    Draft a low rounder and sign a FA to lead us next season.

In 2022 get our guy.

Or we can use a top 10 pick on Wilson and start the circle of failure all over again.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd love to get Wilson with a 4th round pick after he's size-shamed at the combine.

Tom Brady fell to the 6th round because he was a skinny kid at a position where people expected more meat.

3. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I all down for trading out and picking up more picks for the next draft. We have a lot of holes still bit some promise. We need some up and coming talent in a bunch of positions. I would actually be ok with trading Sam or making him play for his position and playing Flacco. He has his flaws but damn! we looked way more potent on offence when he was in that is for sure. His threat with the deep ball opened up a lot for us. Could be like the second coming of Vinny ;)

Lets Get a Top O-line and draft a good WR and some pass rush and a corner or two.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that Darnold needs to improve his deep ball accuracy, but it's simply an extension of his overall accuracy and the root of it is the same: poor footwork and mechanics, both of which can be improved.

That said, no one is talking about how ANY QB's accuracy will suffer when under the pressure he's usually under, and even when that pressure isn't there, if you're expecting it you're not going to get set properly and thus your accuracy will suffer. If he gets better coaching, and improved OL, and better weapons, you'll see his accuracy improve a lot.

5. ColoradoContrails

Never going to happen. Too many teams are QB-starved. He'll never reach the 2nd round.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion CC but I would start fresh, just my opinion, new coach new QB, keep Flacco

7. ColoradoContrails

And I respect yours as well. But here's my thinking: Assuming there's a new CS, and that JD improves the OL and weapons, both of which I think are good assumptions, then figure they don't have to extend Darnold, they still have one more year to see how he does. They might also be able to get him to rework his deal and include incentives that, if he reached them, could net him close to what he would've gotten. Best case scenario, Sam vastly improves and they have their QB for the next couple of years. If they draft one of this year's QBs they can sit and learn and then compete with Sam in a year or two. Worst case is that Same proves you and everyone else who doesn't like him right and they have to look for an upgrade in FA or the draft in 2022, or the QB they drafted this year has to step up. Either of these is preferable to hanging onto Flacco who is clearly washed up, or spending money on another vet who is unfamiliar with NY - and the odds are if you're looking for a starting caliber QB who is better than Darnold, you'll be paying more than you'd pay Sam.

SOJAZ and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He has 1 year playing QB in college at a high level. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he fell to the 4th round.

If you looked at him last year he was a 7th round pick.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Let's just sign him as undrafted free agent while we are at it.

REVISion likes this.
  10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

ooooh Brady has PLENTY OF MEAT...just ask Giselle :eek::eek::oops:

yeah I said it.....;)