Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

A question I have about Sam Darnold will likely never be answered with this franchise:

Will better WR's and a better Offensive Line really show his so called "greatness"?

It is so hard for me to believe that suddenly he will make less mistakes and learn how to not turn the ball over when he has better weapons and a better offensive line. In fact, he is better when on the run then when sitting in the pocket.

I understand the belief that this franchise helped ruin him, but I think it is much more than that. I think his mistakes will always remain no matter the franchise or the weapons around him. He will always be a QB who will display a glimpse of greatness followed by a devastating mistake. This is who he is, in my opinion

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Good play, bad play he is Mark Sanchez

b.reyes16, Falco21 and Ray Lucas like this.
  4. LRJets

LRJets New Member

Win never for Trevor!

Sam will flourish on another team, that's the "Jet way", isn't it?

#1104 LRJets, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  5. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Would you say Justin Herbert has that ability?

6. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Sanchez had the o-line, running game, defense, and receivers and still wasn’t very good. He turned his game up in the postseason to another level and that still unfortunately wasn’t enough

I don’t even think Darnold is good enough to reach postseason Mark Sanchez levels. That kid showed moxie and for whatever cut down on his biggest flaw which was turnovers and still wasn’t good enough to get us to the super bowl

No way in hell am I giving Darnold a new contract to just be mediocre and hope he reaches playoff Sanchez levels

7. matt robinson 17

My point we went to 2 AFC Championship Games in spite of him, he never was anything special, a turnover waiting to happen just like his USC brother Darnold

8. Falco21

I am not settling for an average QB and having to have a pro bowl caliber roster, which is highly unrealistic year after year.

I want a franchise QB that makes everyone around him better. A QB that makes his receivers better. Someone we can build around. Darnold is not that.

Ray Lucas, Since1969, Borat and 3 others like this.
  9. matt robinson 17

Definitely not

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah people have to realize this. It's way better to hit on a franchise QB and only have to worry about retaining one guy. Obviously you want to surround him with talent on offense but it's way easier to retain one guy than having to consistently retain an entire team of talented players.

That's why the whole "Sam is good enough to build around" thing is unrealistic. Given how much surrounding talent Sam would need to even be an average QB, is it really realistic to think that a team that has drafted as poorly as the Jets have will be able to build/sustain a roster full of talent everywhere?

11. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I understand the hitting on a Franchise QB. But still, any so called top pick is still a crap shoot. How many times have we seen this with other teams etc. I just dont know if I am ready to ditch Darnold yet. But that is not my decision and I am glad I wont have it. Having a franchise QB would be amazing. But honestly, none of you can say that with certainty with Lawrence either. I dont care what his play and stats are like.

Take him sure. But lets make sure we also draft and sign some talent for the offence. Then let them both go at it. Seems fair to me.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As far as the Jets are concerned at this point it's not about giving him a big contract, but does he have ANY value at all? Look at Rosen, he still had value of a second rounder after 1st season, however after second year he had no value at all and Miami just waived him. Could Sam even be traded for a second/third rounder after the season if we draft Lawrence of Fields? Could he perhaps remain as a back-up or initial starter until that guy is ready to start? These are the questions that would need to be answered in remaining games. The question on whether or not he can be FQB for the Jets I am afraid has already been answered.

REVISion likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is clearly a question mark at this point despite the significant investment we made to acquire him.

If Trevor Lawrence falls into our laps and Sam fails to win games this season we are looking at a very easy decision.

What is not a question mark at this point is Joe Flacco.

Flacco has failed to impress and has done nothing to provide a spark for our offense when Darnold was out with injury.

Our chronic struggles to maintain anything to back up our starting QB has been a disaster for a very long time.

If we ride out the season with Sam Darnold and the best we can get for him is a second rounder perhaps we simply keep him as an insurance policy if our QB of the future fails to develop of gets a horrific injury.

No matter if we rebuild around Sam Darnold or trade him away to draft our new starter I think it is time we got serious about depth at QB.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Nobody is a sure thing, true, but Lawrence is the highest likelihood guy since Andrew Luck. And agreed we have to build the offensive talent around him.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Exactly....whatever we think of Darnold...if we get the top pick, we HAVE to take Lawrence

you don’t pass on that good a prospect on the hope that maybe Darnold can develop into the franchise guy....that’s how careers die

I personally believe Darnold can be much better than he’s shown so far, but I still wouldn’t pass on drafting Lawrence on that hope...

I don’t care about the bounty of picks that could be had...a true franchise QB is worth more, and until you have one, you keep looking for him.

James Hasty likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He has shown he definitely could have it. So far, so good. The potential is there to be elite.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, no one has said he's great. For my part, I've said he can be a FQB - if he can be salvaged - but that's not the same as "great". Flacco was a FQB with the Ravens, but I wouldn't call him "great".

Second, no one has said he will "suddenly" make less mistakes, etc. It's going to take time - assuming they get the OL upgraded to decent and some above average receivers, not to mention effective coaching. And it may be that he's ruined, that he'll never be able to achieve the potential he once had. Given the changes I mentioned, I think he can, although it might take him moving to another team also.

And he might be able to be successful even if he doesn't become a "flawless" QB. Many QBs make mistakes, but if they're on good teams those mistakes are less impactful and less noticed.

All this bashing of Darnold is just piling on at this point.

#1117 ColoradoContrails, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    BomberJet likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I too prefer a Pro Bowl level - or better - QB, who wouldn't. But what I want even more is for them to be consistently in the playoffs and vying for a SB, and you don't need a great QB to do that. It sure helps - see Brady, Tom - but if you have great players around that QB and great coaching, you can be perennial contenders.

That said, I have no problem moving on from Darnold if they can get someone better. But Darnold isn't the pile of shit you guys make him out to be. He's better than Sanchez, if in no other way than physically - better arm, stronger - and certainly better than Geno and Hack. I'd say he's better than Flacco right now too. Is that good enough? Hell no, but a good portion of that is due to surrounding talent and coaching.

BomberJet likes this.
  19. Falco21

Name me one QB who has consistently been in the hunt for the Super Bowl that is not one of the greats in the league?

Russell Wilson - great
    Patrick Mahomes - great
    Tom Brady - HOF
    Aaron Rodgers - HOF
    Drew Brees - HOF
    Lamar Jackson - great
    Ben Roethlisberger - HOF

You have other guys hovering around like Jimmy G, Ryan Tannehill, etc.

Statistically you are not going to be fighting for a Super Bowl every year unless you have a great QB at the helm

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well said however Lamar Jackson is a great talent but can not be considered a great quarterback until he rises to the occasion and performs during postseason play.

His two playoff performances of 2018 and 2019 have been awful and he did not look "great" while going 45/88 (51.1%), 559 passing yards, 197 rushing yards, sacked 11 times, 3 TDs/3 INTs and an embarrassing postseason QB Rating of 68.3 (combined) during his 0-2 playoff record thus far.

I'm not taking anything away from Lamar Jackson. He's the youngest Heisman Trophy winner ever @ Louisville. He's the youngest NFL MVP ever. He's an amazing player and a great talent and I love everything about the kid I just can not consider him an absolute GREAT Quarterback until I see him perform under pressure while not folding during postseason play.

With that said. It's crazy how the likes of Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen all were picked ahead of LAMAR JACKSON.

What he's done during his 3 years have been incredible. His statistical production have been through the roof dating back to day one both rushing/passing. He's a future HOF QB at this rate/pace; I just need to see him put up monster playoff numbers before labeling him GREAT.

He's a kid I'm rooting for. I want to see him destroy the playoffs and win it all this year. I will then consider him greater than even Patrick Mahomes as an A+ dual threat.