Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's not completely ruined but this logic doesn't work for the NFL where you can apply it to like a real estate agent. A career that can last 17 years at best and performances are evaluated based on 16 days of the year and hopefully more if they run into the playoffs.

Sam isn't completely done at this point and he played a pretty good game last night. But the issue is that there doesn't seem to be growth. He's skiddish at times in the pocket (he wasn't last night actually - he looked comfortable), he's scared to throw the ball over the middle of the field and he feels pressure sometimes if it's not there. His quick twitch is to throw to the sidelines if his clock has gone off and not over the middle, or if he reads blitz.

His footwork is awful and has probably gotten worse. It needs to get better on the early downs and the easy throws (slants, quick outs, shallow crossers), or else he's going to miss easy throws. He missed three last night that should've been completed and didn't throw a fourth for whatever reason.

Last night was encouraging over week 1-3 though. Let's see him build on it with ten days off to gameplan and rest.

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So your evidence he isn't good is that his rookie season wasn't all-pro, he had mono last year and had a couple bad games while recovering, and he's playing with a bad o-line, receivers, and tight ends plus a bad coach with poor play calls.

But all that means he's not talented.

Where do people come up with such insane logic?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The one thing that you can "prove" for sure in this argument is that over the 3 years that Sam has been here when he is not actively playing things immediately go to hell in a hand basket (relatively that is.... I guess its been a semi permanent handbasket overall his 3 years). And when he is in there, even under often appallingly bad tactical conditions things are somewhere between at least semi-stable and promising.

When you combine that irrefutable proof, with his pedigree, still very young age, obvious talent, and the "flashes" he's shown I think its a very solid bet that he'll be fine. But what HAS to happen is that he needs to get some help. The players around him, especially the line last season have been among league worst and this year they are missing literally everybody except Herndon who's decided to go into the toilet himself for good measure. The coaching I'm not so sure on. I never felt like the Bowles operation had much going on with the offense and while I never really "liked" Gase from the start I remain fairly agnostic on him. To some extent he, like Darnold, hasn't gotten a real chance yet to show what he can do (if anything). Like Aikman said on the broadcast last night at some point you have to have some conviction in the guys you hired and give them half a second. Not just fire/make changes willy nilly for the heck of it.

Gase I don't really care about one way or another. But I can't get on board with shit canning Darnold at age 23 after you invested so much in him and he's never even had a chance to operate with NFL level players around him. The resources need to go to getting him some help so he can succeed. In my mind that is not a hard thing to figure out. If Trevor Lawrence or whoever goes on to be John Elway and Darnold ends up really not panning out then so be it. Sucks to be the Jets, but that is the smart way to play it imho. The odds are more on your side by sticking with Darnold than heaving out of control after the newest shiny thing that glitters a little bit.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This says a lot. Bring in Trevor--whats the prediction after 30 games? Same. Hence why its no fucking use until something drastic happens to change the environment.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Read this and maybe you'll wake up: Welcome to Darnold Island: no running game, no weapons, no pass-rushers, no blue-chip cornerbacks (even with Pierre Desir’s fourth-quarter pick-six to go with an earlier pick), no discipline, no pride. And no leader or leadership on the sidelines.
    NYPost sports: jets

I think that pretty much sums up how we all feel..or at least most of us.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I always supported Mark, but those numbers are brutal. Mark, with one of the best rosters in the NFL around him puts up those numbers. Sam, with one of the league's worst rosters, somehow puts up better numbers. Honestly surprising. And Geno...... I forgot he existed.

That would be nice, but it is a team sport. The defense is terrible. The offensive line is bad. The WR's are hurt or bad. And Bell has been hurt. Bad luck for Sam. You are right though. As far as plans go, Year 3 should be big for Sam. Instead, it is a disaster.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The biggest reason to replace Sam is he's due to get paid soon and hasn't shown enough to warrant 30+ million per year. I say this as someone who hasn't given up on Sam. He has had to deal with a bad hand(OL, weapons, coaching). But, if a Trevor Lawrence becomes available and you don't know what you have in Sam, it's difficult to pass up the chance to have a QB for 4 cheap years and build around him.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Other then Crowder, who was good on offense last night?

This is more then a QB problem.

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

Jeff Smith looked good.

KY Jets Fan, Jets79, papapump and 3 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I watched last night's game fort the primary purpose of being able to evaluate Darnold. My quick take is that he's got some serious issues that may or may not be able to be fixed, and as long as Gase is here, they likely won't be. On the plus side I saw a guy who has heart and he didn't panic as much as I thought he would based on so many posts here, and he (mostly) went through his progressions from what I could see, but as Vilma noted, he's ignoring some targets over the middle which is puzzling since I would think they would be easier to complete than passes outside the numbers, so it may be that Vilma's answer is correct: he's scared of being picked over the middle.

Aside from that problem, his biggest problem is lack of consistent accuracy. Legler, who I trust the most here with QB evals, says it's due to poor footwork, so I'll accept that, but in any case it's a problem. And can footwork/accuracy be significantly improved at this point? I'm not real optimistic. That said, if he had really good receivers who can go after his off-target throws and win 50-50 balls, this wouldn't necessarily be fatal. I think he's accurate enough to win games and win a SB, but again that depends on him having above average (and one or two All Pros) to help him. But when you couple his inaccuracy with Gase's playcalling it's a big problem. Gase is calling plays that depend on quick, accurate throws, and this is something Darnold really struggles with. It's idiotic for Gase to refuse to change up his play calling to better suit Darnold's abilities, and even worse that he continues to call plays that are actually difficult for Darnold to consistently make, and even more mindnumbing when you consider the receivers he has.

And while I didn't see Sam panic as much as I thought he would, he IS rushing his reads and throws at times, and sometimes taking off on the run before he has to, thus eliminating some options he might have if he could hang in there. I still think he's "seeing ghosts", and that's a problem. Is it permanent? Is he ruined? I don't necessarily think so, but he's going to need an "exorcism": being on a team that has receivers that can catch his passes, an OL that can make him believe in pass protection again, and a CS that supports him and gives him plays that are suited to his skills.I doubt that team is the Jets.

I'm not quite ready to throw him on the scrap heap, but he's going to need some major help to turn things around. As long as Gase is the HC, that isn't going to happen.

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

McDermott was damn good last night--Excellent man to have on the team--we need more of these types who step up when needed.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

burrow has AJ green and boyd and mixon/geo at RB
    murray has hopkins, fitz, kirk, and isabella at WR. he's also one of the fastest QBs in the NFL so can buy extra time compared to a guy like sam.

both have better playcalling too

Sam has had
    hogan, berrios, morgan, cager, 2 TEs that drop everything, gore and JAG RBs it's a huge difference. I'm not going to blame it all on the o-line by any means. but when you compound a bad o-line, bad playcalling, no WRs, no TEs, no RBs nobody is in a worse position then sam. Look how much better he looked with just crowder in the game who isn't even great. imagine if he had a hopkins or green or boyd or fitz or kirk

Jets79, BudJet, Red Menace and 3 others like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Those guys also have legit weapons.
    Sam has played 4 games with an over the hill running back and practice squad receivers. Not a single scripted play works. Most of the offense is Sam making something happen when plays break down.

Jets79, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't notice was too busy seeing van roten be a turnstyle and ballage miss every blitz pick-up

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

stop making excuses for him. we are at this " we have to be nice to sam " stage

REVISion likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If you get a chance watch him--he stopped Chubb pretty cold and whoever else he matched up with. Don't think he gave up a pressure.

17. nevbeats319

Sam misses open receivers and misses reads. this has nothing to do with "weapons and oline:

18. CotcheryFan

He did well. Might be needed over the next few weeks depending on the severity of Becton's injury.

IDFjet likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Kyler Murray has 4 TDs and 5 INTs this season with a QB rating of 79. And that's with all of his weapons. Imagine if he was on the Jets.

BudJet, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. nevbeats319

stop making excuses. The wrs he has arent dropping balls other then Herden who stinks. Sam misses open players and cant make reads.