Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Nothing about yesterday made me change my mind on Sam, as in, Sam will not make it with this team and he played better as a rookie versus what he is now.

Johnsons messed up hiring Gase, and compounded that mistake by not firing him after last night. Instead of Sam having 12 weeks to at least show everyone he can become a FQB, we will likely see him play out the stretch making mistakes, while also making an incredible play or two to make people wonder if its the right move or not to cut him loose at seasons end.

I wish I was wrong but we may not win a game this entire season and if we get first overall pick we are not trading out of it with the hope that Sam can somehow figure shit out. Douglas will take the opportunity to do what all GM's do and that's draft their own QB, and pick their own coach. That's where I see us going, unfortunately

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The point is that it's not like there are no receivers running down the field because of the play design. It's that they're not open and Sam is trigger shy at the same time so he won't try to fit balls in.

Everything isn't always scheme related. You really think we never have players running down field?

That's true. His base is always wide so any throw over the middle has to be purely arm strength which usually is never going to be strong enough to get the ball there.

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  3. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Rookie Year
    2865 yards 17 td 15 int RANKED #32
    5 out 13 games he played well.
    he played GREAT in 2 out those (GB/HOU GAMES)
    3 games he was terrible with ratings in the 30s
    only 5 games without a INT.

YEAR 2
    3024 Yards 19 TD 13 INT(RANKED #28
    13 games played
    3 games played VERY WELL (Dallas, WASH (lol) OAK)
    9 average/below grade
    1 game was the worst QB game ive ever seen ( GHOST Game) QB rating of 3.6
    only 5 games without a int

Year 3
    1/4 of the season (Ranked 32
    794 yards 3 td 4 int
    PROJECTED
    3100 Yards 12 TDS 16 INTs
    2 decent games
    2 awful games

Career
    59 % 6681 Yards 39 TDS 32 INT

Not breaking down game by game. If you watch, you should know/ refer to the games i am talking about. Bottom line, how can anyone confirm and say he is sure fire a good QB, Far from it. Time to drop the can he be a FRANCHISE QB and just ask, Can he be a good starter?

Not all his fault - they ruined him with Toilet Bowl and Gase. On to the next one.

jco2007, Vida and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

As usual, Sam was the only bright spot on a terrible team last night. He wasn't perfect, but he was heroic coming back after that body slam that somehow wasn't called for a personal foul. The O-line is just as bad as last year, if not worse, with an injured Becton. Just brutal. Jeff Smith and Crowder stepped up as WR's. That was good to see. The running game was non-existent. Hard to succeed at QB like that.

Sam has a good head on his shoulders. All of the tools. And it is still there despite Gase and the Jets attempting to ruin him.

My one worry last night watching Darnold was he doesn't see the whole field. I can't tell if that is because the o-line is so bad he rushes his reads or he just can't read. Either way, that is an issue.

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Ruined at 23? So if you or I are 23 and someone told you your life in any profession is over what would you do? And who in there right mind would say that to a person that age?

On to the next what? Another young QB to ruin?

#385 BomberJet, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  6. nevbeats319

Look at the stats. Look at the last year at USC. Its over for him

And yes. They probably will ruin another qb as they always do.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I know Sam stats. Look at Eli Mannings stats his first 3 years , and he was older. Same difference.

Jets81, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no o-line no WRs awful playcalling. mahomes wouldn't succeed here.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment, except for "he has all the tools". What he's missing is better accuracy. If he had better receivers - one or two All Pros and the rest above average - this wouldn't be such an issue, but from watching his college tape, and through last night, I have to say he just isn't a very accurate QB. Is he Hackenberg bad? Hell no! In fact he's accurate enough, given good receivers as I said, but on team devoid of that ingredient, it's a BIG problem. And Gase makes it worse with his play calling, dialing up short passes in traffic across the middle, or throws out to the flat that depend upon quick, accurate passes so as to not make the receiver have to wait. How many times have we seen that happen, and the receiver gets swarmed because he had to stop his running to go after the pass and that was all the defense needed to recover?

The other big issue is as you noted that Sam doesn't seem to be seeing the whole field (although I did at least see him going through some progressions). I believe that playing behind a shitty OL, with marginal receivers and running game, and absolute shitty playcalling, has screwed him up. I now think that since "seeing ghosts", he's permanently haunted, and it will take an "exorcism" to fix him. For his sake, and the sake of his career, I hope he can go to a team with good offensive support pieces, including a solid OL and receivers who can maximize his sub-perfect accuracy, and even then, he should sit on the bench for a season, playing backup and be allowed to regain his confidence. I don't see that being possible on the Jets in even my most optimistic projections.

But Darnold is NOT the problem. It's Gase, and Bowles before him, and a decade of pure shit drafting and player acquisitions, all allowed by clueless owners who are only in this for the money and couldn't care less if they win or not. Sam got screwed by being drafted by the worst franchise in the NFL. What's my excuse, I've chosen to support this team?

blackssmagic and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Sams stats are not great at all...but he has one of the worst OLs in the league, and last year it was THE worst...he has NO quality receivers to throw to outside of Crowder, he has NO TEs, and no running game.

and that’s before you layer on the coaching he’s gotten from Bowles and Gase. Terrible in both cases.

I’m not saying he’s a sure fire franchise QB, and maybe it’s just comparison to the trash we’ve had at QB for the last several years that makes him look better, but I wouldn’t write him off yet.

I want to see him operate behind even just an average OL with even just average receivers, but with a better coaching staff

all that being said, if we do get the top pick, I wouldn’t pass on Trevor at all....

rammagen, Vida, jetstopgun and 2 others like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

I would Sam is accurate yet inconsistent. Not sure if that makes him inaccurate though. Haha. Not inaccurate enough for me to worry. He will throw 8 accurate passes then 2 off a little. You want a QB who is throwing 10 for 10 for sure.

People keep talking about his 5th year option. I think he has done enough to pick it up. Or at least he hasn't done so bad that it should not be picked up. Then 2021 we get a final verdict on him with (hopefully) a better team and coaching staff around him.

And yeah, me too. I chose this life. What a mistake! Even worse, I am so loyal that I can't change teams. Ugh.

12. nevbeats319

Joe Burrow and Kyler Murrays lines stinks, They are doing fine.

Let this settle in. the kid last night looked better then Sam

jco2007, Vida and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

"Sam is 0-4. He sucks!"
    -People who don't understand football.

14. nevbeats319

its year 3...they should be 3-1

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not quite how that works...

JetBlue and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Put Sam on Buffalo or Pitts, he would be doing very well....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watching the Can’t Wait podcast. Ian O’Connor stole Ryan Fitzpatrick comp for Darnold except 3 years later.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

19. legler82

Until he gets his footwork in order he’ll always be a guy that misses the occasional seemingly easy throw.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. legler82

I thought the line played well considering the injuries. Darnold overall has time.

The Dark Knight and REVISion like this.