Sam Darnold Warned Jets They Were 'Making a Mistake' in Panthers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Apr 8, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I posted that because it was the closest to what I believe. I have no idea who the writer is .

Completion percentage is not an indicator to f a QB is an accurate passer or not. How many times do I have to say it. You are trying to play gotcha I am telling you what I believe. That is what you always do so I am not surprised.

Noam likes this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zach would have completed that pass because he has the arm strength.

That pass was horrible.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're entitled to have any opinion you want, even if it is as bizarre as saying accuracy has nothing to do with completions.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you want to argue there’s other factors maybe there’s something to be said. As a whole, it’s a pretty good indicator though and it’s silly to say it’s not.

ouchy, REVISion and KingRoach like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I made my position clearer. It is bad indicator of how accurate you throw a ball. Being an accurate passer is important for success in the NFL. The stat completion percentage is not an indicator of throwing accuracy. It is more an indicator of decision making, o-line, type of offense and the number of passes thrown.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is a horrible indicator of how accurate someone throws the ball.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Lol. Keep digging that silly ass hole dude. It’s a ridiculous statement. Maybe it’s a bad indicator of how you throw a ball in shorts.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Johnny Unitas had a completion percentage of 54. Are you telling me he can not throw the ball accurately ? Staubach 56 , Grieae 56

I guess QBs did not start throwing the ball accurately until the late 80s and 90s

Dan Marino 59 percent

#188 cval, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Richard Nixon was President when he retired. Surely it’s the same exact game as when Unitas played, right?

Did the slant route even exist when he retired?

REVISion, Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is the difference Marino was only 59 percent. You said completion percentage show how accurate you throw a ball.

As you just said it has more to do with offense you are running.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame quarterback Charley Trippi had a completion percentage of 47.2%. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TripCh00.htm

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You guys are misinterpreting what I am saying. All I said was completion percentage was a bad indicator of accurate you can throw a ball. I never said it wasn't an indicator of being successful in today's NFL. To say a QB is an accurate passer just based on a low or high completion percentage is just well, inaccurate.

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No, that's not what you said. You said accuracy had nothing to do with completion percentage. That is bizarre. You are the one who is now trying to reinterpret your own words. And I don't believe a single poster here has claimed that accuracy is based solely on completion percentage.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I tend to fall pretty much in line with your assessment of Wilson…hopeful yes, but not blindly buying that he will be great. All this talk about how he improved when he came back doesn’t really hold up or show up in the stats. The completion rate was not much better, the yards per attempt also. The only stat that did improve was the reduction in picks…which while super critical, was also a direct reflection of playing small and safe ball. So you have to go to the more intangible or subjective stuff, like he was throwing to scrub receivers and stuff like that. All true. But he still threw balls into the ground even with open receivers. So while I also am hopeful that we will see a lot of improvement in year 2, I wouldn’t bet my house in it. Most GREAT players show that promise early. Manning threw a ton off picks but also a ton of TDs in his rookie season and he was very good in year 2. Marino was great in year 1. Brady played small ball conservative in his first year starting g and won a Super Bowl. Luck was clearly very good year 1. Burrow took the fucking Bengals to the super bowl in year 2. Let that sink in. The Bengals.

the next excuse I can already hear is that the AFC is stacked…which it is. So we may be a better team and the record may not be much better, because the teams in the East were already better and I think they all improved at least as much as us…I don’t think we narrowed the gap much at all.

so it’ll be a rough road for Wilson…if he really improves against these odds, we’ll really have something there.

but I’m hopeful but not convinced he’s the guy…to me it’s like 50/50…

REVISion likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Go play gotcha with somebody else.

KingRoach and bicketybam like this.
  16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Maybe he originally spoke in hyperbole to emphasis a point and then corrected himself since?

KingRoach likes this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

In the proper context, Jones had many advantages b/c of his team situation last season vs. Wilson's team situation. So it's really impossible to compare the level of success of the 2 QBs last season. Having said that, for what it's worth, as bad as Wilson looked against the Bills, a top defensive team, Jones looked worse.

#197 dmw, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You do realize that most pass plays back then would probably result in a Pass Interference or Roughing the Passer penalty these days.....

REVISion and cval like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Man, this debate proves how DEEP into the offseason weeds we are lmao.

Can the draft please happen so we can start arguing about the picks at least?

KingRoach, ouchy and K'OB like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

After last years in-fighting over QBs I decided to shut my football brain off for most of this off-season. I’m so behind on what happened at the combine because of it.

NYJFOREVER likes this.