Sam Darnold out with Mono... probably a few weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wah, Sep 12, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't believe the Jets are rushing Sam back. I just can't completely trust that they aren't. If they actually did it, and Sam got hurt, that would be it for my fandom. Having said that, our current DC intentionally put people's lives in jeopardy for his own career, and that hasn't stopped anyone from rooting for the Jets. In a league where players can get permanent and life-threatening brain damage, he told his players to target opponents' heads and then paid them extra to do it.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

odd post.

1)you don't THINK the Jets are jeopardizing Sam Darnold's life, but if they did, you claim you would stop watching the team.

2) But - you say they COULD do something like that, as evidenced by an on-the-field "bounty" scheme for big defensive hits that the defensive coordinator ran 10 years ago on another team

3) then you finish with half-hearted criticism of people for still rooting for the Jets despite that fact and despite the fact that you still do root for them yourself.

----

It doesn't make sense to me on numerous levels.

Gregg Williams is not going to determine whether Sam Darnold is healthy enough to play football nor is he going to make literally any decision there. That would be between Darnold and his doctors. So........ what is the point of bringing Gregg Willaims up? Is it just to bitch about him or something?

Secondly, isn't Sam Darnold an adult? He doesn't have to play again, ever, if he's doesn't want to. He could retire like Andrew Luck. So.... how would the Jets be responsible for his personal decision to play football?

Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Is it too much to ask for one more week with the bounty contest? :D

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't think the Jets are jeopardizing Sam's life, but if they got him hurt, I'd stop watching the team. Nothing odd there.

As for the Gregg Williams part, you're misunderstanding what I said. What Williams did has no bearing on what happens with Sam. But @FJF asked me specifically how I could root for a team that employs people who could ever put players' lives in jeopardy. And Williams did exactly that. So Williams was in response to rooting for the team, not Sam's situation.

As for how Sam could get put out there too soon, that happens to players with non life threatening injuries all the time. Heck, I've seen guys with concussions that could lead to permanent brain damage get thrown out there (Wes Welker for one). This is where the doctors and team have to draw a rock hard line that can't be crossed no matter how good Sam is feeling and how much he and everyone else want him to play. I think the Jets will do that but I'm not 100% confident in them.

Finally, I'm criticizing fans for rooting for the Jets (and football in general) but I'm just as guilty. I love football enough to stay a fan even though there are parts of the game that are terrible.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO they're two separate issues. Many of us became fans of the team long before Woody & Chris Johnson, Gase and Douglas came on the scene. Woody and Chris aren't the sharpest pencils in the box, and they could easily miss a character flaw in a HC or GM they hire that would lead him to risk a players health and life. Perhaps that HC or GM wouldn't normally even do that, but knuckle under to pressure to win, or it could be Sam himself who is trying to rush back, and they are simply taking Sam's word for how he feels.

Hopefully, you're right! I don't think Douglas or Chris Johnson would risk Sam's life and healthy, and I hope that Gase wouldn't, but as much negative crap as I've read on here, it's hard to know what is true about him.

7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

All about the spleen.

Crazy to say