Sam Darnold or ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Luckily Sam Darnold is the Jets QB and there will be no swapping! :cool:

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Brady, Roethlisberger, Wilson, and Rivers would make sense to pick over Sam in 2019. Factoring in his potential and future years to come, it is hard to take anyone over Sam besides Mahomes.

I'm sticking with Sam though. :)

LogeSection2RowJ and LF911SC like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Mahomes had a fantastic season last year but look at the Chiefs O vs the Jets O. We have to wait and see how Darnold does when/if the Jets can build a team around him. In my meaningless opinion Darnold will remind Jets fans of Brees when its all said and done. A smart QB who is deadly accurate throwing the ball. I really believe Darnold will be a great QB if Douglas can do his job. Hopefully we get a couple of Lombardi trophies in the next 10 to 15 years to show for it.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trade him for anything. He's younger/healthier than Luck with similar play style, and could be better than Mahomes in the future. Stay the course, Jets. LOL @ trading him for Mayfield, I would not even move him for Mayfield and ODB in a package deal.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield & Darnold have shown (in spots) why they were picked 1/2 in the draft.

Pre-draft I thought Baker would be a better fit for us...but that was because zombie Bowles was the head coach...and we needed some fire.

With the new regime Sam seems perfect.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would probably stop being a fan if they made that trade. :D Definitely wouldn't do that deal.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. No question Mahomes was amazing last year too though, that is why I said I would understand someone taking him over Sam.

LAJet and Sam Hammer like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Saquon Barkley would like to have a word with you. ;)

I agree with the other parts of your post.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saquon is a terrible quarterback.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

How do you feel about Josh Allen?

Acad23 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jags got a good one.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Chiefs with essentially the same O except Hill played 16 games scored 415 points with Smith to 565 points with Mahomes. Mahomes was a huge difference maker by himself with everything else being static.

The Jets last year were worse on O than the year before with Sam. Granted Sam didn't sit for a year.

I think Sam is going to be a great QB and if we put the right pieces around him the team has a great shot to be relevant for years.

Mahomes isn't just a QB he's a like a point guard who's also the highest scorer on your team. The guy has an amazing skill set. He was literally the best player on the field in every game they played.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I can't complain about getting two blue chip cornerstone leaders for both sides of the ball in Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold during back to back consecutive drafts; for that I'll always appreciate Maccagnan. O-Line and CBs aside also landing Le'Veon my favorite Bell and C.J Mosley and now Quinnen Williams etc I can never hate the guy.

Mahomes? Ahhhh he would not have looked awesome in Darnold's rookie situation last year if the kid was a Jet. Super talented? Yes. No question.

But I'm willing to at least first see our kid QB in Sam Darnold within a new offense under Gates and surrounded with the likes of an All-Time great in Le'Veon Bell, an electric deep threat and pure speed burner in Robby on the outside, a prized FA and top notch slot receiver in Jamison Crowder, an absolute stud in Quincy who's healthy again and last year's leading rookie TE in Herndon... Before I suck off Mahomes as some type of better Quarterback prospect.

I don't care what anyone says. Take Mahomes out of K.C. Stick him behind the Jets offense last year. Hah. Some of you would be singing a different tune and wouldn't be putting this kid Mahomes into the HOF quite yet.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

For one season the pick is probably Brees or Rodgers, I can't pick Brady for obvious reasons. For the long haul though, the only QB I'd take is Mahomes.

FJF likes this.
  13. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

The only comparable season would be in 2011. Aaron Rodgers was an absolute beast that season.

But yeah, I'd probably only trade Darnold for someone that is young and proven. Mahomes would be 1st, Luck would be 2nd.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Like (mostly) everyone else the only player I'd accept is Mahomes.

The last 4 games of last season Sam moved past over thinking every play and started playing instinctual football. The results were astounding - even behind a shoddy o-line. If he plays like that this season he will be way better than Mayfield, who had a lot more talent around him last year, especially up front.

Sure Mayfield has fire, but he is also immature and a whiner - which is a formula for a meltdown. If Sam progress'es right he should become something between Joe Montana and Aaron Rodgers. Personally I'll hang on to that. There is too much promise.

(All the media hype around Mayfield just makes me smile inside because I'm so happy we got Sam instead. We don't need a media darling - we need a championship QB.)

FJF and Sam Hammer like this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'll talk about Mahomes when he has more than one good year under his belt. We've seen this kind of thing before. We have no idea what will become of it all in 5 years or how he would have played on an offense that wasn't absolutely stacked from top to bottom as the Chiefs were. I see a sophomore slump coming.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

A sophomore slump from a guy that just won league MVP and broke all kinds of records in his first year starting is probably not the same as a sophomore slump from any other QB.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't know about a sophomore slump but HC's/DC's have now had an entire offseason to figure him out. Things probably won't come as easy for Mahomes like last season.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

40 TDs w/ 15 INTs for 4,000 yards will be career year for most but a significant "slump" for Mahomes...lol

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

TGG has officially jumped the shark.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wouldn't trade Darnold for anyone. Dude played under the worst coaching conditions and still came out smelling like roses. I've waited for a Jets QB to become good despite shitty coaching my entire life.