Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not blaming the receivers for poor passes, but they're also not creating separation, and have dropped some good balls. Aside from Enunwa - who I fully agree he's targeting too much, but can you blame him? - the rest are Meh.

I agree 100% that the main issues are a shitty OL and coaching, and these aren't going to be fixed overnight unfortunately.

2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Mayfield has actually looked better the last 2 games but nice try though. No need to be biased.

3. ColoradoContrails

Good assessment. What all those who want to blame Darnold are completely overlooking is the shitty OL and coaching and the fact that he's a "veteran" of 3 games (going into J'ville). OTOH, their predictions of his failure might become true if he's left in this situation, either due to injury, bad habits formed, or both. That is a real concern for me right now. As long as Bowles and Bates are running things, and the OL isn't upgraded or somehow improves, I think he should sit for now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well I don't agree on the meh part, I like Robbie, he is the same player that McCown was hitting in stride umpteen times last season, now I don't even blame Darnald for not targeting him, I do believe the CS got him started with the dink and dunk play calls, but this will also lead to the lack of understanding between QB and WR.

Also on the separation point, hell they are having to find separation inside 3 seconds due to the OL collapsing time and time again, also while we are at it the run game was utter dog shit and that didn't really help matters either, we could go on for a while lol there is so much wrong atm it is a little depressing to note that we have taken a huge backward step in game play.

Where are the schemes to get Bilal free, christ every other pass catching back is making hay while the sun shines every week but not us, 1 game and then nothing since, last year he hardly seen the ball compared to the previous season, it is utter madness.

I can't remember which game I watched the highlights of earlier, think it was the Bears game and there was WR's schemed to be wide open all over the place, it can't all be just down to separation issues surely?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Good points, and the lack of time that Sam has to throw sure does limit the ability of the WRs to get separation. And true, Robby did do well last year, but with a limited sample size this year he hasn't shown much - drops, fumbles. Sam did overthrow him on that deep pass yesterday, barely, so he did his job, so maybe more attempts will improve this chemistry.

100% agree with "...here is so much wrong atm it is a little depressing to note that we have taken a huge backward step in game play."

What else is there to say?

K'OB likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sack some people ? ;)

7. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Food for thought:

Darnold against Jacksonville
    17/34 for 167 yds, 4.9 avg 1TD 0 int 3 sacks rating 74.0
    Team rushed for 34 yards on 14 carries, 2.43 yds/carry Lose

Brady against Jacksonville
    24/35 234 yds, 6.7 avg, 2TD 0 int, 2 sacks rating 106.1
    Team rushed for 82 yds on 24 carries, 3.4yds/carry, Lose

Brady against Miami
    23/35 274 yds, 7.8 avg 3TD 2Int rating 94.2
    Team rushed for 175 yds on 40 carries, 4.4yds/carry, Win

Ron

K'OB likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

People say Sam's pass is inaccurate. I almost puke when I hear that madness.

If anything:

1. He starts running for his life about 1 fucking second after the snap.
    2. Pocket? What pocket?
    3. Can he [throw into his step]? What the hell were you watching the past month?
    4. Yeah. Why is his throw inaccurate? First, he is throwing on the run most of the time. [A] If not, he's throwing off his back foot. [B.] Yikes, by the way.
    5. I still hear some serious stupidity as in: "I saw him having clean pocket and good protection. He still misses." Will you just SHUT THE FUCK UP? That happens late in the game, from what we've seen this season thus far. By then, he is hearing footsteps, thanks to *ahem* this legendary OL. Doesn't take actual rushing - having a OLB hovering over the box is more than sufficient. Is this his fault? Even the great QBs - Favre, Brady, Brees, et al - start hearing footsteps if this kind of shitshow persists all game long. [And they have. More than once.] I have been staunchly against starting this kid this season precisely because of this shitshow they have in the OL. Sam is going to develop a lot of bad habits if he is left to take hits like this for an elongated time. He will throw off his back foot, or throw while his shoulder is not squared into the direction of throw (= footwork problem) or develop happy feet. Will he step into his throw and hit the WR accurately? Good luck with that. Not happening with this kind of garbage protection.

#108 Zach, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Darnold's accuracy is a bit of a concern considering he has been throwing the ball in excellent weather conditions early in the season. What happens in November and December when the weather gets colder, snow, rain, sleet are involved and the winds start whipping around in East Rutherford, Foxboro and Buffalo? Even when he's had time to throw, he hasn't shown pinpoint accuracy.

This is why I chuckle when I see the Jets running an empty backfield formation. Yeah, trying doing that when weather is 20 degrees and wind is gusting at 50 mph. Without a successful running game being developed, Darnold will just go down as another Jet 1st Round bust. This is the problem when you select a QB with an offensive line that needs an overhaul.

Acad23 and Wahoo like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

nyjetsmets89 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I NEVER wanted Sam D out there to start the Season..

But everyone here said "well that's how he learns"..whereas I saw it as a DESPERATION move by Toilet Bowls

"Thrown to the Lions" Thrown To the Wolves " However you call it..its JUST STUPID with no protection

The day he gets hurt..will THAT be the day Chris/Woody fire them all?? Just Great..typical SOJ course of events

12. ColoradoContrails

I admit I did want him to start the season because that usually is how to best learn. But that was based on the assumption that the OL, while not great, could at least provide adequate protection, and the play calling would help this too. In the P.S. that seemed to be the case, and even for the Lions game, but it was a mirage. Now it's clear as day that this OL and play calling sucks, so if they can't fix that - and it doesn't appear that they can - Sam needs to sit. His future is far more important than winning or even being competitive this year is. Even if he doesn't get hurt, he's already developing bad habits that will get worse the longer he has to practice them.

It was a big mistake to allow Bowles and his CS to be able to touch this kid.

HomeoftheJets, Doreblade and Wahoo like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater would have looked like the Scarecrow after the flying monkeys got a hold of him.

[​IMG]

He was lucky to get out out of here in one piece.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  14. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Bump... lmfao

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

By bumping this youve proven you dont know anything about what happened today.

16. dmarz45

17/42 with 3 picks and a 32 qb rating pretty much tells me what happened bud. Sorry not sorry

17. dmarz45

And we had 2 chances to get right back into this game and Darnold threw it directly into the hands of the other team.

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Against a top 5 defense with no receivers and a center who cant even snap the ball. Yeah great support for the rookie.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This thread is exactly why we can't have nice things. And yes, Darnold did not have a good game and made some bad throws. But he was also victimized by drops and bad snaps on more than one occasion.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because stats tell the whole story.