Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Again, like I said, if we had Drew Brees we still lose that game, the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed after its strong start.

The fg kicker missed 2 fgs, also there was no pick 6 like there was in the Super bowl. Sanchez was the best player on the team that day, and certainly Darnold would not have won that game, nor would Drew Brees or Joe Flacco, or any other Super Bowl winning QB.

Sanchez got the most out of that team, and they wouldn't have made it any farther unless we had Tom Brady, that's it. Not even Drew Brees would have taken us further, he would have lost that game, and for the people suggesting Darnold would have won that game, please, get a reality check, the Jets don't even beat San Diego or Cincinnati with the pick machine that Darnold is right now.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sorry but that is utter bollocks, McCown had no problem finding him to the tune of 800 yards and what was it 9 TDs last season.

For whatever reason darnald has fixated on Q to the detriment of all the other receivers.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with being upset with Darnold. I'm willing to give him a mulligan. I'm hoping and praying this is a Goff situation. Bad head coach who is a defensive guy. Year two hire the innovative offensive coach and you see what the Rams are. We can only hope and pray.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The Devils devils advocate ....

All these teams had their numbers inflated by getting to play our offense :D

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Fun??? I don't think rewatching the 'high' lights of that game could ever be described as fun.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

who asked for him to tear it up? how about completing more then half your passes in a offense designed around short easy throws? how about not throwing the ball to the other team so often?

3 biggest concerns i had with darnold coming in were the interceptions, inaccuracy, and lack of arm strength. so far those all look real ugly in the pros too. he does have great feet and pocket awareness, but that only goes so far

Wahoo likes this.
  8. jerseyjay14

goff and wentz tore it up last year too
    no one said any of that

9. jerseyjay14

play action roll out pass to to the flat/short cross is so predictable.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Phins gave up 38 points yesterday. Browns gave up 45.

phubbadaman likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sam has looked bad. So what? Rookie QB's often develop. The question is did we draft Tony Eason instead of Dan Marino? 4 QB's went in the top 10 all 4 are now starting. Ken O'Brein was no Dan Marino, he was also miles better than Tony Eason.

If Sam is looking like dog meat near the end of the season new GM, new staff and pray. Bill Parcells staff couldn't develop Tony Eason.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Its really both lines. The DL gets no pressure so that makes the secondary cover much longer. but the OL is hot garbage and that is all on Macc. he never addressed it properly since he's been here. Its always been bits and pieces instead of talent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I originally wrote "line play (on both sides of the ball)"...but edited my post because the thread was about Darnold and I was responding to a post about the play calling.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

He’s still miles better than Rosen mayfield and most definitely Allen. Puke

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

the Jets don't even beat San Diego if Nate Kaeding doesn't miss 3 FGs.

Rebar
    [​IMG]

. .Retard
    [​IMG]
    . . . soxxx
    . . .

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is the truth and the most accurate measure in a hard to measure situation. At this point where is all this faith in Darnold coming from because I want some of it. It is not fair to compare Darnold and Sanchez. But it is fair to compare the excuses of the fans for being almost the exact same.

Right now Darnold, with most starts of the four major QBs drafted, has shown the least future potential. We are making excuses that he doesn't have the talent around him. Like the Bills have more talent, or the Cardinals have more talent. I've seen Mayfeild, Rosen, and Allen make some rookie mistakes to be sure. But I have also seen them make big plays without help. Good reads and decisions under pressure, great throws between coverage, and the fire to take their team on their back and lead them to points - even when the chips are down.

Darnold is clearly playing the worst of the four, and is showing the least upside of the four. We can make excuses all we want but this isn't boding well for the future. He is not even close to being ready for this position. He should sit until the last four or five games of the season and learn. If getting benched as a rookie is going to destroy him mentally than he fore sure isn't "the guy" for us.

#96 ouchy, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Wahoo likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He hasn't proven he's even slightly better than any of them.

Wahoo and ouchy like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a fair assessment of Darnold IMO:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/deep-dive-on-jets-qb-sam-darnolds-week-4-performance/296789828

"Once again rattled by pressure, Darnold's ball placement was disappointing this week. Furthermore, while he made some good reads at times, his timing and decision making weren't always on point, as he could perhaps have done a better job of taking what the defense gave him.

At least the Jets took some downfield shots this week, but Darnold still doesn't quite have that chemistry with his receivers, especially on deep throws. He also seems to be relying on Enunwa a little too much. It would be nice to be able to point to some signs of progress but, realistically, these have been few and far between and Darnold still seems to be floundering with the game seemingly moving too fast for him.

The Jets return home for Week 5 but Darnold is still likely to have plenty of pressure to deal with, especially since Von Miller will be one of the pass rushers coming after him."

My take on this is that

A. He's played only 4 games
    B. He has a shit OL
    C. He has a shitty CS
    D. He has Enunwa + poor to mediocre receivers

In short, he has a LOT to overcome in addition to trying to learn how to be a pro QB. I think he needs to sit and watch and be kept safe until they can upgrade the CS and personnel around him. Otherwise his bad habits are only going to get worse.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why blame the other receivers for receiving some shitty balls?

Or why give Q a free pass for his drop off a poorish pass but be quite happy to dog Anderson for doing the same ?

I really don't understand it tbh, I want Darnald to be a success and I am no way dogging him for a tough start, fuck it wouldn't bother me if we ended up the number 1 pick in the draft, it is about the future with rookie QB's, also in recent times it has been shown a vast improvement awaits in the second year, if we are lucky of course, but I don't feel the need to blame the WR's for not getting some decent balls to catch on a regular basis, bar Q who he is locking into far too often and that will be another thing defences will be watching for in the coming weeks.

We all know he is throwing fast and scared due to the soggy paper bag OL and the CS play calling leaves a lot to be desired as well tbh.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Poor 3rd down situation means the team failed hard on 1st and 2nd down. [Or that's what my WCO textbook says. I tend to agree.]

Jets 1st/2nd down execution is puke-worthy. I don't know you can blame this on the kid. Even when Darnold did connect for 6+ yards on 1st down, the team would choose some really exotically stupid run play and lose yards. If you are saying [Sam should have audibled out] then I have nothing more to say - that's a very, VERY tall order for a rookie. If I had to pin my blame on the poor 1st/2nd down execution, half of them must go to Bates, and the other half straight to this tepid tubs of lard they call OL. Why? That's simply because, if the OL cannot establish their physical presence in the run game - as in, 25 attempts for 30 yards kind of ineptitude - the OC will look for razzle-dazzle runs when he needs one.

FJF, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.