Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say this, but Mike Maccagnan is just as, if not more, responsible for the state of this team than Bowles. When you look at all of the high picks he has wasted, players that not only didn't develop into statrers, but aren't even on our roster! The two seconds wasted on Smith and Hack, the third and the fourth round picks in 2017 on the two receivers. Those high picks are supposed to make up the core of your roster and we have nothing to show for just too many of them.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys, easy. He is 21, youngest starting QB in the NFL history. Bates seems like he has stayed away from the game too much. Head coach is Bowles. Give the guy a break. Too early to judge him.

rohirrim665, joe, Dom and 9 others like this.
  3. Brook!

I totally agree on Mack. Time to clean house from top to bottom. Will Chris pull the trigger if we go 0-3 in the next 3 games which are home games for us? Doubt it but I hope he does.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well I am not saying this cant all be eventually fixed, but I am terrified every time Darnold drops back to pass. Our shit excuse for an offensive line that has been ignored since 2010 might as well have rolled out the red carpet for the Jags D. Darold has regressed in his throwing motion for sure. This can't be good.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

His arm is better than mediocre and all rookies make bad decisions. Give him the year before you decide that he can't play. Especially since everyone around him on offense is playing like shit for 3 weeks straight with the possible exception Q and BP.

6. Brook!

Goff struggled his first year, Trubisky looked lost, Wentz went 7-9 his first year with tons of offensive weapons and a great defense. I see what you are saying but judging him with this sample size is unfair especially when Bowles is the Head Coach and Bates play designs are terrible.

7. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I don’t think people are judging him, we’re just looking for something to hang our hats on and he hasn’t given us that. A deep route hit in stride, a nice end zone fade, a middle route splitting tight coverage, anything. That’s not saying he won’t show us something before the year is out, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say he hasn’t shown us much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Lets hope man. Mac has to throw away his whole understanding of what it takes to build an offensive line and perhaps hire experts to help him in this area. He isn't all garbage like some on here think and I think he is still learning the job. But his idea of what constitutes a good enough O-line is just wrong and he needs to fix that. Bowles is unfixable time to move on. We need to hire an offensive minded coach who knows the game of this era.

Brook! likes this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

It was a fucking line from The Princess Bride.

Geezuz when did we get so soft.

TwoHeadedMonster, joe and Red Menace like this.
  10. Brook!

Sorry, I googled and you are right. Will put it back.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Don’t knock yourself defending him, it’s not necessary.

He’s going to be our 15 year starter that takes us to multiple SBs. He’s better than Goff, Trubisky and Wentz, if he gets another 1.5 seconds of protection and a playmaker or 2 he’s going to be great.

Not good, great.

12. Rollo Tomassi

Moron.

Not you.

But, you know.

GQMartin likes this.
  13. Brook!

From your keyboard to God's ears. Wait, did I do this right?

GQMartin likes this.
  14. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

What I see is some bad habits are developing with Darnold like throwing off his back foot. He needs to move a little better inside the pocket. They've got to max protect No more empty backfields And how come we never run any shallow crossing patterns Every other team in the league is chewing up yardage with those routes.

That being said, Its never going to happen with this coaching staff. It's possible Sam may need to sit for a while and watch McCown. He's not going to learn from this coaching staff

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Allah ahkbard.

Brook! likes this.
  16. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Well is it Sanchez's fault to that the FG kicker missed the FG ?

And actually yes, the offense did enough, well it did enough if you are Joe Flacco or Drew Brees, the Colts offense was held to 20 against Baltimore the week prior and 17 (+a pick 6) against the Saints following game.

The Vaunted #1 Jets defense gave up 31 points. Sanchez did enough, if we had Drew Brees in that game we would have lost to.

17. Rollo Tomassi

I’m going to try to be respectful here but if you’re comparing Darnold to Sanchez you’re a @&$#ing ¥#~>¥*%hole who %£€#% know $)”@#£¥+%.

TrojanPride likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, Sanchez did not do enough. Having a first half lead does not equate to doing enough. The game is two halves, and the offense’s responsibility is to score more points than the other team at the end of the second half.

Your entire argument is based on the silly premise that once a team has a first half lead the offense has done its job, and if the defense can not hold that lead, even if the offense doesn’t score another point, then the loss is on the defense.

No, by the very nature of the game, Sanchez did not do enough. His team needed him to score more than 17 points and he did not do so.

All you have shown is that the loss isn’t entirely on Sanchez, not that Sanchez was partially to blame as well as the defense.

But the idea that 17-20 points should be all you need to beat one of the best teams in the league, in the road, is pretty ridiculous IMO.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Chris is the idiot who gave Bowles and Mac 2 extra years after back to back 5-11 wins; clearly he is content with that success if it warrants an extension. Shit, I’d hate to see what he does if they had back to back 7-9 seasons; they might get lifetime contracts and rides with his wife.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Ridiculous post. Its his 4th ever start against the #1 defense in the league on the road with a shaky offensive line and a terrible coaching staff. Sanchez had the #1 running game in the league as a rookie with a stout o-line and veteran receivers. Anyone who claims to know for sure what Darnold is this year at all knows nothing about football whether he lights it up or stinks out the room. For Darnold as a rookie this year is all about learning the playbook, assimilating to the NFL level and getting the game to slow down for him.

#60 Frenbar, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018