Sam darnold and why we should keep him (read before you flame)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Still a long way to go, but the only way I see is trading Darnold before the draft is if we have the first or second pick. And if it’s the second pick, then that means JD would rather have either TL or Fields over Darnold...

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He doesn't see open receivers whether there is good pass protection or not. It happens a LOT. If the Jets have the 1st or 2nd pick, Sam is gone. The Jets won't want to wait a couple of years for him to fix his problems if they can be fixed at all.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I’m pretty sure that’s how it would pan out. If we get the top,pick, can’t see us passing on TL, if we get the second pick and assuming the Jags take TL, I’d be curious to see if JD takes Fields, but there’s a good chance he does.

then it gets interesting if we get the third pick and those two QBs are gone. Does JD go with the third QB (is it Lance?), or does he keep Darnold and go with the stud OT at three?

how sad is it that we’ve been having draft talk since about week three? Sucks, but that’s where we’re at.

dmw, ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Question for the anit-Gase crowd, and not at all meant to inflame (as i am getting increasingly convinced he's not working): Ryan Tannehill does not look damaged

i agree Sam is missing open receivers etc. What i don't know is how much of that is on him AND whether we're all the more sensitive to it because the team is sucking ass. I.e., I suspect Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes have not seen open guys too.

In my mind, what we need and one would think should be able to afford is the FO talent to diagnose the situation, and even if we were to draft TL it would be good to have such FO talent because they would/should know what Sam's value will be on the open market; continue to think we're stepping into a trap of selling low out of frustration

azhar80 likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Gase is a bad coach but he's not as bad as the TGG crowd makes him out to be. He doesn't seem to inspire players or put them in great positions to succeed by scheming around the talent. He's also an atrocious play caller.

However - Ryan Tannehill doesn't look great as a drop back passer and him being some sort of elite talent under different coaching is and has always been overblown. He's in a good situation with an elite running game and great offensive line and has played well. He's still in more of a game manager role and when he was asked to try to go win a game yesterday he wilted.

Red Menace, azhar80, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have Darnold under contract for 2021.

If they draft Lawrence with the #1 or Fields with the #2 they will not pick up the 5th year option on Darnold a week later.

If somehow they are in a position where they cannot draft a QB in the 1st round next year they might pick up the option on Darnold - because that means he did something good in the 2nd half of the season to screw us out of a top 2 pick.

In either case they'll have Darnold around in 2021 to start the season.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. FQB is such a HARD HARD HARD spot to fill. $25M (5th yr option) is a small price to pay for having two POTENTIAL FQBs on the team (Sam/Trevor, Sam/Fields).

I know we like to say "But Trevor is a sure thing". The NFL landscape is littered with franchises who thought they drafted a sure thing. IF Sam plays balls out with his full compliments of targets, I say keep him for AT LEAST his 4th year, no matter who we draft. If Trevor gets on the field and proves he's the man, then fine, ship Sam off. But I would wait UNTIL. That's a luxury we have with Sam on the roster, take advantage of it!

9. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

First Rounder for Darnold is a pipe dream with this shell of a team. If Jets are offered a Second Rounder, they should take it and run.

dmw likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree on keeping Darnold for year #4 in almost any scenario. I think the 5th year really depends on how he does and how the Jets do both on the field and in terms of finding another QB option.

You have to be an extraordinary QB to be worth a huge investment. Not just a starting QB - a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers level guy who picks his team up and carries them on his back. Even a very good QB like Russell Wilson cost his team a number of games each season when he demanded to be paid like he was the only reason they were winning. A good QB like Joe Flacco made his team a mediocre team overnight when he demanded top tier pay.

This is mostly because very few QB's can lead and carry a team the way the first three guys I mentioned did. You maybe have Patrick Mahomes in that class now and you can argue Big Ben belonged there also but most "great" QB's just can't win without a lot of help around them. Drew Brees went 7-9 4 out of 5 years running and he was clearly the best passing QB in the NFL for most of that span.

The other side of it though is that guys can and do get hurt and if you are paying your guy like he is the second coming and suddenly he drops out of the picture things get really grim, really quickly.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I made a mistake. Unlike some around here, I can admit it..

NCJetsfan, K'OB and All Gas No Shake like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no. Of course an 'extraordinary' QB is ALWAYS the preference, but most teams have to navigate the landscape WITHOUT an extraordinary QB.

The reason I call for keeping Sam, even if we do draft Trevor, is we (Jets) tend to ruin new, young QBs by throwing them into the fire too soon, and at times w/o a good team to support them. Our team is going thru great flux, from o-line to WRs to Defense. Throwing a newbie under center at this stage could result in the 'Sam Darnold' effect!

So start Sam, who will be far better equipped (experienced) to deal with a team in a rebuild (and most likely a whole new offense), and let Trevor sit and learn during a tough season w/o getting his brains bashed in.

Imagesrdecieving and Br4d like this.
  13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sams career stats through 3 yrs is a 59 pct completion ,6934 yds , 39 tds and 34 ints qb rate of 75.9, 17 fumbles ,losing 5 . So he has as many lost turnovers as tds in 3 yrs. Plus he is hurt a lot in these 3 yrs. We will probably either need to sign him cheap or trade him for a very late rd pick. Look at his numbers , he is up there as one of the worst busts in NFL history

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WTF?

He is rotten, his team stats speak for themselves, double-digit losses, offences near the bottom if not the outright bottom, his awful play-calling, we don't even need to mention his bizarre behaviour and eye twitching, mental state and whatever else has been said.

He is probably worse than we have been saying, he is lucky it is 2020 and empty stadia or he would have felt some heat from fans I'd say but atm he is getting a free pass as we all want (well, 95% of us) that number one pick from the zero season he is coaching.

#74 K'OB, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  15. K'OB

Yeah, 1983/84 was fucking mine.

I chose the Jets

:(:(:(:(

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it could depend upon what the Jets are offered for Darnold. If they are offered a 2nd round pick or better, then I think they'll trade him before the draft. If it's a 3rd, then I think it could go either way, if it's anything lower, then I think they probably keep him. They can always re-sign Flacco and they have Morgan.

With two picks in each of the first 3 rounds, Douglas could get our starting QB and five of these 6 positions: RB, TE, OG, WR, Edge and CB. Unless he missed on one or more of the picks, it's possible that every single one of those would be starters. IMO that would outweigh keeping Darnold as a safety net in case Lawrence got injured or struggled or to try to improve his trade value by the trade deadline. Even having three 3rd round picks could be enough to cause Douglas to move him.

The Dark Knight and LAJet like this.
  17. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Ahh but they were so good back then :)

K'OB likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree...not sure I’d keep him as a safety net if we draft TL or Fields either...but I’d we don’t get the first or second pick then you have to keep him I think because most likely both TL and Fields will be gone....so then the question is if JD prefers Sam to the third rated QB (Lance?)...that will be interesting to see where JD lands on that

hopefully we get the top pick and it’s all moot

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. K'OB

It was certainly a more exciting time.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think if the Jets end up with the #1 or #2 pick, they will trade Sam before the draft. That allows a team to have him in the fold for the 2021 season and allows the Jets to use the compensation in the 2021 draft. Fair for both teams and fair for Sam too.

I know I value Sam more than others, but I still think they will get a 1st Round pick for him. A 2nd at the worst, but teams see his talent, and know he is worth that risk. Anything less, you hold on to him, but that is not going to happen.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.