Sam darnold and why we should keep him (read before you flame)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

you know, I say this a lot as well...if the Jets had merely looked at some of the boards like this one, and drafted only by picking what these boards wanted, we’d be a SIGNIFICANTLY better team than we are, because our actual drafting has been THAT bad.

crowd sourcing at its finest

Had we done that, we wouldn’t have wasted first rounders on guys like Quentin Coples, Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor, etc

we have literally had god awful GMs making stupid pick after stupid pick. And even when Mac occasionally found a good player in the first round, they were STILL the wrong pick...Adams was good but we should’ve taken Mahomes or Watson. Q was not a good pick if you still had Leo on the roster...just bad bad bad roster planning

makes me sick

literally most of us on this board would’ve had better drafts

NCJetsfan, dmw, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I really don't care about that example because the list of guys who started their careers poorly and never panned out is 100x as long as the list of guys who started poorly and became good QB's.

NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It's interesting, I was watching Trevor Lawrence's presser from the other day--his demeanor and confidence when talking is completely different from Sam's. You can tell when the great ones are speaking, just overflow with confidence and authority. He was pushing back on reporters when asked about the future and you can tell he knows he has it. Sam is a good kid, but he still talks like he's a student, when the fact is he already is in his third year. Lawrence isn't even out of school and he talks like he's played in the league.

Sam has talent and ability, but I don't think he has the inner makeup to dominate in a big market like NY. I will attach the presser...the good stuff starts at the 20:25 mark

NCJetsfan, Acad23, Noam and 5 others like this.
  4. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I mentioned this exact issue some weeks ago when a play we were questioning should have been audibled. If it is Gase's fault in not giving Sam the option because he doesn't trust him or, that Sam is just not capable of making that decision, is the question. But it goes beyond play calling. Sam has to become a 'voice'. I thought I saw that instance when Herndon fumbled a pass. We saw a camera pan to Sam that showed him yelling to someone on the sidelines but the announcers in the booth didn't take note of this. Sam has not shown anything but blending into the system and he may not realize this but with the team in flames, he's going down with them.

Acad23 and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Can't see any of those teams mentioned as being likely to sign Sam up as a potential replacement for 1's and 2's when they can get similar performance from trying to 'reclaim' another highly drafted bust in Trubisky.

Then there's Dak, Cam as potential high sides, competent performers/bridges in Tyrod, Dalton, Fitz even Dalton or last shot vets in Rivers.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That was good to hear. He definitely will be a star. I guess I am on board now. Is there any way the Jets can just start James Morgan or Mike White from here on out? :D;)

NCJetsfan, Acad23, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

picking up a 5th year option of a rookie deal is not extending a player. there is a huge difference. that would be like saying franchising a player is extending them

8. GasedAndConfused

you are correct it is may 3rd

9. GasedAndConfused

which is sad considering they have a room full of professional scouts who get to see way more then we do

Jets79 likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's crazy to think about eh? Take Maccagnan for example - a guy who was paid millions to scout talent and would consistently do things that everyone other than him realized were dumb.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know the difference. I misspoke. There's no way the Jets should pick up the 5th year option. That's what I meant to say. Paying him $25 million for his sorry level of play would be a fireable offense. It would be akin to Mac's signing and paying Trumaine Johnson what he did or Tannenbaum extending Sanchez.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

One thing about this is that any team who trades for Darnold will probably not want to wait until draft day. They will want to do it earlier and plan around it going forward. If the Jets pick #1, I would expect Darnold to be traded during Free Agency Frenzy or not at all.

13. NCJetsfan

I definitely agree that Darnold probably will not be traded on draft day. If he is traded before the draft, it will likely be well before the draft or during FA. I disagree with the not at all if he isn't traded prior to the draft. Following the draft, a trade could happen at any point. A team who failed to get a QB they wanted in the draft could seek to trade for Darnold. A team whose QB gets seriously injured or struggles in TC could seek to trade for Darnold. If Darnold plays well in preseason action, a team could seek to trade for him if Darnold looks better than any QB they have on their roster. Once the season starts, if a contending team loses its starter or backup, they could seek to trade for Darnold all the way up to the trade deadline.

I'm curious why you don't think he would be traded at all if it's not prior to the draft. I may be mistaken, but believe that you said in a post in another thread (or maybe this one) that Morgan was drafted to be the Jets backup. If so and that being the case, unless Morgan looks as bad as Hackenberg, why wouldn't the Jets go ahead and trade Darnold? Why wouldn't they give the reps that Darnold would get to Morgan to speed his development?

14. GasedAndConfused

i think sometimes Gms overthink and outsmart themselves. for us as fans if were wrong it's no big deal. for a GM when they are wrong it's a huge deal. it's a lot more pressure and sometimes you make a bad call
    If we can't ghet a 2nd back for him on draft day, i'd absolutely do it. it gives him a year to raise his value, lets trevor sit for a year as we build up the offense and we can move him after that. 25mil for a starting Qb even a low end one is chump change. it's literally half of what the top players make. and we have a shit ton of cap room no reason not to use it
    If we have the top pick then yes. but rosen was traded on draft day for a 2nd IIRC. arizona picked murray and then traded him to the fins for their 2nd. sometimes your looking and what you want isn't there so you make a trade. more trades happen during the draft then any other time

15. MaximusD163

Well, I could be wrong. My thinking is that if a team enters and exits FA without going QB, that means they are probably picking in top 5-10. It’s too risky to not have your starter relatively locked down at that position. It’s not like you can hang out and wait until pick 22 and say “oh darn, no franchise QB available” you know? They need a plan.

Darnold cannot be viewed as a developmental QB by another team because he only has the 1 year left under contract. If you trade for him, you need to start him to know whether you want to keep him in the future.

The caveat would be as you said if a starting QB has a season ending injury in training camp, they might get desperate. It does seem like the less likely situation though. If the Jets pick 1 or 2, I have to imagine someone will offer a trade package the Jets consider worthwhile at some point in FA.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

More pick for pick trades happen during the draft than any other time. Player for pick trades during the draft are actually quite a bit more rare. How many can you name from the 2020 draft? The only one I can think of was Trent Williams for a day 3 pick. Rosen was taken as a flier developmental guy for a Fins team who knew they were rebuilding. Darnold would have to be viewed by a team as the projected starter. With only 1 year left under contract, no team is going to wait until the Second round of the NFL draft to see if they can find their 2021 starting QB.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Gotta trade him for the best available deal. An extra second to go with the Jets two 1st and 3rd rounders would go a long way in building the team back up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

yes player trades are rare but happen more often then you think. henry anderson, quincy wilson, josh rosen, trent brown, all come to mind

19. NCJetsfan

I agree that the more likely scenario is that he gets traded during FA, and in terms of the Jets and developing Morgan, that would be best as Sam wouldn't be taking Morgan's reps.

I was just trying to point out that it is possible that perhaps the Jets don't get a decent trade offer during FA, perhaps other teams try to lowball the Jets, or they think that Sam may already be ruined, so aren't willing to give the Jets anywhere near what Douglas sees as Sam's value, so he decides to keep him and see what happens during TC and preseason. All it would take then is for some team's starter to go down in TC or preseason, or a young QB that they were counting on to start or be the backup struggles badly in TC such that they don't think they can count on him for that season, so they are then willing to give Douglas what he wants for Sam. We know that injuries happen and that young QBs can struggle.

20. GasedAndConfused

i mean a team like pitt or indy or minn who have in a sense "lame duck" QBs and won't be picking near the top could very easily move a 2nd rounder for a young QB. i doubt rivers and cousis stay with their teams after this year and ben wants to retire every offseason it seems