Salehs press conference plus latest jet rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Feb 4, 2022.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Fuck. Sign me up for that, we barely missed the playoffs and that season was fun.

It's also just proved that the two younger guys in this roster wasn't the answer. Trotting them out that year would've just lead to another disappointing, miserable, same ole Jets type of season.

No. I don't care to see those anymore and I give two shits who makes this team fun to watch, as long as It IS fun to watch.

I'm all for finding a young guy to take the reigns for decades to come, but, reality says we aren't there yet.

So, again, I'm just saying.

Keep throwing shit at the wall till something finally sticks. If we didn't hit, at least play the best players at each position until you get another crack at It.

I'm not advocating giving anyone a multi-year deal that doesn't deserve It either. So, It shouldn't matter In that regard.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

I don't have a clue what those other teams plan to do and I don't care either.

As a fan. I just want a team that wins and plays the best players at every position, instead of handing out jobs based on draft status, In an attempt to achieve that goal. I don't think that's asking for much.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

What QB competition has divided a locker room? Huh? Since when does that divide the locker room to have competition?

Competition, In anything I've ever done, has made me better.

Why?

...because I'm order to be the best, you have to beat the best. In order to be on top, you have to work for that. It doesn't matter who you are competing against, if you don't put in the work, you will get out hustled.

If you are afraid to compete, you shouldn't be competing.

I'm very against the participation medal mentality.

In no way, does competition indicate someone isn't a hard worker. It brings out the best In people, in the realm of whatever they are competing for.

None of us truly knows who Zach Is.. you can have an idea but you can't say for certain who this kid truly Is deep down inside.

I am a firm believer In competition, I've thrived because of It in my life. Even if I'm only competing against myself, it's always made me better.

I just don't agree.

Bickety had a good point with reps being limited. I can understand that to a degree. For sure.

I still stand by there should be a QB competition. Regardless.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You need to go read Demming.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I agree it was a fun year, but the 6-7 years we suffered after that, not so much. and we still didn't make the playoffs. on top of that we wound up picking early 20s and took lee and if we had a top 7-8 pick we could have gotten someone like tunsil, hargreaves, conklin, maybe even a ramsey, staley, or buckner if we had a top 5 pick.

we can not win and still be fun to watch. We had a few fun games this year. the bengals and titans come to mind off the top of my head. I want us to build a steelers or ravens that consistently compete and not sell out for a good year or 2 then go back to how we've been. JD is doing it right we just need to be patient a little longer

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You have no clue if the Jags are going to bring someone in to compete with Lawrence in camp?? I know you follow college football. You should try the NFL, lol

I'm just busting you balls. But there is no way you draft a guy at 1 and after his rookie year you have him compete for his job after he was handed it in year 1.

7. IIMeanDeanII

Thing Is. It doesn't matter if we are pick #1 every year. If we don't have the right people in place, we won't be drafting well regardless. There is a reason why the top teams that make the playoffs, continue to do so, despite picking in the 20's every year.

We were set back because of the wrong people making decisions. Not because Ryan Fitzpatrick was our QB for two years.

If you are trying to have fun every year, while losing every year, as a fan. I'm happy for you, I don't have that type of mindset though.

8. IIMeanDeanII

Dr. Deming can go fly a kite.

What I really need Is a Jack and Coke.

ukjetsfan and cval like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

I mean. I get It. I'm not completely ignorant either.

At the same time, winning should always matter more than If you were wrong In the draft.

I'm not a billionaire owner, so, what I think truly doesn't mean dick at the end of the day.

I just know what I believe In and I don't believe In handing out jobs based on status and stature.

I get you though.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this. no loyalty to ANYONE

SHOW ME!!!

SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

it's because they already have playoff teams and are drafting players to fill holes from salary cap losses and to round out an already good roster. they aren't drafting players to change the franchise. we'll get to that point with the way JD is building the team but it takes time

12. IIMeanDeanII

Trust me. I hope you are right.

This will be a telling offseason and season In general.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

I hope i'm right too. Only time will tell. I just don't want JD to sell out for 1 good year. he seems to be doing all the right things and have a good idea about the direction of the team and how to build it. I want to give him a fair chance to do so.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree, but I wonder if it's possible to build a NE type dynasty anymore which seems to have been the objective of every Jets management team for the last decade or so. We have seen in the last two Super Bowl winners, teams that were considered good but not great, have significant pieces added at the last minute to put them over the top to championships. Whereas, we have also seen a team, KC, with a Bradyesque talent at QB, fail to win the SB for two years in a row. Nevertheless, the Jets have to get to "good" before a decision needs to made as to direction after that.

#134 westiedog1, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    cval likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

they were lightning in a bottle. they wound up getting the best coach in the NFL because he hated us and an elite QB in the 6th round that stuck around for over 2 decades. Likely that never happens again

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The quarterback position is so different to any other. Almost any rookie will struggle to run an offense as well as even a journeyman quarterback. If you insist on a competition, then you are dooming the rookie to sit on the bench behind more experienced players and not get the experience he needs to improve and show what he can do. This is true for all but the most exceptional young quarterbacks. You therefore have to put up with sub-par play in order to see if your quarterback is any good.

It's a completely different argument to the one over whether or not a rookie QB should sit his first year. I personally think they should but I know many do not. I think that first year should be spent acclimatising to the professional system, but in the second year, they should start unless there is some sort of disaster or injury. You can't expect them to 'win' the job in a competition with a quarterback who has years of experience. The job is too complicated.

KingRoach, cval, CotcheryFan and 2 others like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its bad for the locker room if the 32nd ranked QB doesn't have to worry about his job.

I disagree on your point that competition won't help him as well. We already know it does! BYU challenged him in college. If they subscribed to your line of thinking - that competition would doom his career - he woulda never been drafted no. 2 overall.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Isn't there a difference between a QB in college and one who was picked No. 2 overall by an NFL team? The Jets HAVE to find out what they have in Zach. I think he should have sat last year because I think almost all rookie QBs should sit to start their careers, but in his second year, he has to play. He's the present and the future of this team until he proves he isn't. And he ended the season on an upswing. You don't respond to that by pitching him into a quarterback competition.

It's the coaches' job to push him. If he was a five-year vet and was the 32nd ranked QB, then absolutely he would have to worry about his job and the team would be crazy not to bring in serious competition. But not for a player in Zach's position, not for a second-year QB who showed signs of getting it at the end of the season.