Salehs press conference plus latest jet rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Feb 4, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This season was about getting the young players experience. Winning would have been nice but it really was not the goal of the season. The goal was to take your lumps this season and comeback stronh the next with an experienced team.

With all the young guys on the roster that got to play this season will have huge dividends in the future. My guess a few players most likely could have and would have played the last couple of games if the team was in contention.

Yes, that meant Zach as well so this talk about competition is misguided you either have a QB or you don't . Zach and as not competing for the starting position he was learning, you can say he should have sat and that is a fair argument but this season was about developing Zach and the rookies.

If Zach has to compete for the job next season he is not the answer and I would have to question the coaching staff.

Zach's play will determine if he stays the starter if he plays like the worst QB in the league again we will be drafting another QB or bringing in a vet but the chances of that are slim to none IMO.

For the good of the Jets all fans should be wanting him to succeed not bring in competition. What the Jets should be doing is bringing in weapons and protection so we can determine if you can win with him. You have three year window with QBs before you have decide on picking up the fifth year option.

STOP beating the kid up and let's discuss what he needs to succeed. Because if we have to bring in a vet the rebuild was most likely a failure.

NCJetsfan, bicketybam, Noam and 3 others like this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Who cares?

He doesn't become the answer just because you pretend he IS the answer either. You are acting like If there Is no QB competition, that somehow makes Zach Wilson the answer to all of our problems. When, really, that just takes away merit.

If he Isn't good enough to win a QB competition, then he Isn't the answer. Why go into the season with Zach Wilson, If he Isn't good enough to win a starting QB competition. Competition Is NEVER a bad thing, no matter the position.

This argument makes zero sense to me.

You can want him to succeed and still want to be sure he Is good enough to be the best QB out there for this team In a QB competitive setting as well. It doesn't have to be one or the other. That Is silly.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

Jermaine Johnson, I don't see a top 10 guy here. Where are the rumors that Jets may go Johnson at 4? That would be nutty, I can't imagine that will ever be a thing. You got a source on that rumor? That definitely has me curious. I'm going to go watch more gameplay of him now. He Is a early second caliber talent for me, I am clearly missing something here.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

There is no rumor they take him at 4, it just that they like him and he may have put himself in top 10 consideration. Which means if they really did want him, he might be gone by 10.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

TBH, he seems like a stud and good fit for the Jets, but I'm very leery of anyone out of FSU. Somehow they don't seem to work out for the Jets.

6. IIMeanDeanII

I get that.. I'm sure they like a lot of prospects though, doesn't necessarily mean they are going to take them with our two top 10 picks. I would hope they would trade out of 10 If they were thinking of going that route, taking him at 4 definitely Isn't worth It.

I get he was solid at the Senior Bowl, I have no doubt that he will do well at the combine, I just can't see him shooting up In the top 5 regardless of how well he tests out at this point. I just don't think the tape allows for that to happen. We shall see though. I watched more film yesterday, I still think he Is a day 2 guy personally.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There are only a certain amount of reps to be had. You have a QB competition you really have no QB. You want your first and second year QB to have as many reps as possible in practice with the 1's. It is really not that hard of a concept. You have a "competition" you are taking away valuable reps the starter needs.

If as a staff you think Zach is not your guy then have a competition but that is not how this works. Zach will start with year and be given every opportunity to succeed. The Jets have to figure it like with Darnold before picking up his fifth year option.

I really can't believe I actually have to type this out. Do you think Trevor L will be competing, do you think Justin Fileds will, how about Mac Jones? You want a competition because you do not believe in Zach well the coaching staff does. Therefore; they will be helping him succeed by developing him not having an open QB competition. (He already won the QB competition)

Noam likes this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

When you pick a QB #2 overall, and say goodbye to a guy who three years prior you picked #3 overall, it has to be all or nothing, at least for the first three years. The organization is committed to Wilson to be the QB of the Jets, just as it was committed to Darnold for three years. It serves no purpose to bring in other QBs for competition when you've already made the choice and commitment. Sure get all the backups you want, but Wilson should be given every opportunity to develop into the QB they hope he will be. This is not to judge Wilson as good or not good enough, but he needs to get every chance to determine which of those two he is.

cval, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There is no reason to have a quarterback competition because the Jets need to figure out what he is next year in game action one way or another.

A camp “competition” would be a stupid mirage. This roster sucks anyways, it’s not like Jimmy Garoppolo or Jameis Winston is getting this team to the playoffs anyways. So they need to figure out if Wilson is in play for 2023 or not.

10. IIMeanDeanII

Again.. I don't care, If he Isn't good enough, he isn't good enough. I would rather have the best QB out there regardless, since I'm a fan of the team. I would like to see us actually win games, I don't care who the best QB Is. If It's not, Zach Wilson. Yeah, not ideal, people will likely get fired. That doesn't change the current situation though either.

Not having legit competition just begs for complacent play as well.. Competition makes people better at the end of the day. So, even from a psyche standpoint, It makes sense to put that pressure on the kid, allow him to raise his game In every way they can. I just don't buy Into the spoon fed mentality. It should be earned. Just like every other thing In life.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

It does though. Not only does It make players better, It allows for other perspectives as well. It also helps to establish unforeseen possibilities. When you are constantly going all-In, with no backup plan, you are destined to fail. Unless you hit, the odds are obviously very low with that. How long has It been since we've had a legit FQB?

I'm all for bringing In QB's until you find the one that can be that sustainable force for our team, behind center, for years to come.

We obviously don't have a clue If we have that, so, might as well keep throwing shit at the wall till we do.

I'm not just talking about bringing In a VET. I'm okay with exploring all options, including the draft.

He will still have his chance, he should earn It though. I'm tired of waiting years to conclude the obvious on these guys because we've "committed". It's dumb to me.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. westiedog1

I get the frustration, believe me. I didn't want them to take Wilson in the first place, but as they say, that train left the station. A new coach and GM, and they are entitled to have their guy at the top, come what may. It's their jobs on the line. Nobody said anything about not having a backup plan. That's why they call them backup QBs. I don't think there is anything obvious about Wilson at this point. He was drafted high for a reason. We need to find out if the reason is valid.

13. IIMeanDeanII

Again though...

If he can't even beat out the QB's on the roster. The "backups"... What does It matter anyway? If he benefits from competition, why wouldn't they go that route? If he falls on his face, better to know now than later, It only makes things worse when you force players Into the lineup when they clearly don't belong. I'm not saying that Zach Wilson doesn't belong there, yet... I'm saying, the fucking kid Is closer to busting out of the league than blowing up the league though.

I'm definitely frustrated and tired of the same BS. Especially at key positions on the team.

I just don't see any downside to having competition, at every position, especially at KEY positions. This handing out jobs just because of where you were selected In the draft Is complete non-sense to me.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I don't see the point of taking reps away from Wilson when the staff knows he's better than Mike White. To appease the fanbase? Come on.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. westiedog1

If it was an open competition in 2022 among roster QBs, Joe Flacco, would probably win the job. Is that what you'd want for next season?

16. IIMeanDeanII

This Is a fair point..

Still, can't help but feel like we are just spinning our wheels again until we finally conclude that we drafted another bust at QB. I don't want that either.

I just feel, unless you've established yourself In this league, you should earn your spot on the depth chart.

It's not impossible to learn and grow If he doesn't get EVERY rep. That's not logical to me either..

He got every rep last offseason, no? If he was forced to sit last year, he wouldn't have gotten every rep then either, but, he would've had a chance to learn and grow regardless.

..and, yeah, the Jets should appease the fanbase at some point. That Is an obvious, no?

I'm also suggesting that If you can find legit competition for Wilson, why not go that route? I'm not necessarily just talking about Mike White here.

17. IIMeanDeanII

Opposed to what exactly? Zach Wilson falling on his face, looking like another failure at the position, at the cost of proving they didn't fuck up taking him at #2?

That hasn't went very good for other promising QB's. Instead we ran them out there on the field, despite the fact that they weren't ready, and, ultimately, were ruined before they could ever find their footing. Darnold was a good example of that, amongst all the other failed experiments over the years. Darnold showed promise, had promise, and I still think he was ruined because of coaching and timing. He wasn't ready.... It showed, NFL defense's fucked his head up, end of story.

I don't get paid to know the answers I guess, I just know, I'm tired of this team spinning their fucking wheels and never learning their lesson. Definition of insanity.. all of that. Etc..

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are the Jags going to bring in someone to challenge Lawrence? Are the Bears going to being in someone to challenge Fields? Those two guys have the same things in common with Wilson. Considerable resources were spent on acquiring them and they both sucked like Wilson.

There's no way those teams are going to bring in competition. All 3 franchises paid a hefty price to get them and they are going to let them sink or swim. The best they can do is surround them with A list talent, as they should.

K'OB likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

tinking like that is how you wind up with fitzpatrick for 1 season and then it all falls apart. the jets aren't trying to just win in 2022. they are trying to build a team that wins year in and year out. part of that has to do with developing your young QB and getting him experience while the team isn't great so when the rest of the pieces are there, he is ready. If JD stays on track and continues to do what he's been doing the jets will be competitive in 2023 and for the foreseeable future. that to me is more important then a few extra wins this year only

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Teams rarely have QB competitions any more. It's counter-productive. It can divide the lockerroom. QBs don't need competition to get better. In fact, if players need competition to make them work hard and try to do their best, then they're probably not worth having on your team. The best players motivate themselves and don't need outside motivation or competition. That's who Zach is. If he doesn't succeed, it will be because he's not talented enough. It won't be because he didn't have competition to make him better.

ColoradoContrails likes this.