Salehs press conference plus latest jet rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Feb 4, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't care what the stats say. The reality of play showed that our OL was a problem. It's true that they improved over the season, but then injuries started hitting them. The Jets cannot afford to have poor OL play for whatever reason.

Jojo and Borat like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the point is that you can only start so many rookies and that 1 great one is better then 2 ok ones. it's clearly a policy JD follows which is why he traded up for AVT.

of course all of this could be nonsense. and when i say personal feelings I don't mean it that way. I mean it as personal evaluation of a prospect.

thats how you see it, and that's fine. I don't think we have an OT issue. We could use some depth as could every team in the NFL but I think fant and becton make a good starting duo. You realize the bengals passed up on a much needed o-line upgrade to take chase? and they are in the SB. burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL this season.

thats fair on becton. you can have your opinion. as far as edoga goes though I'm not sure what you expect out of a backup but it seems unrealistic. he's a fine backup. can we not forgot that you thought GVR was good at RG for us last offseason when I was saying he needs to be replaced badly and will be beat out by lewis (who promptly retired for unknown reasons) maybe we all can step back from time to time and not be so strongly tied into our own evaluations of players

he's a TE2. he dropped 5 balls. not great obviously but he was miscast as a TE1 for us. he's fine for a TE2. could have been something else going on to. I see stats for drops kept since 2018 on this site and he's only dropped 2 in his career prior to this season
    https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=10247

3. GasedAndConfused

injuries played a big part. becton missed pretty much the whole year. we had a time when mcdemott was a starting LT for us. we also had feeny and some other guy i can't remember starting inside late in the season. no team playing 3rd and 4th stringers on the o-line will block well

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, but I can't remember too many folks on here pining for Mahomes OR Watson. Mahomes was an odd ball with a losing record that most teams shyed away from. I think most folks were surprised with Chefs traded up for him. Same fans were even more surprised when Mahomes lit it up.

What was the chatter on here? I know most/many didn't care for Hack, but were we yelling for Mahomes? I don't recall any Mahomes hype on here. One guy for sure, but overall I don't recall much Mahomes noise.

Jojo likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

You didn't say Safety was a premium position directly, but by saying you'd use a top 15 pick on one says that.

No one is saying we should "reach for need". But if a stud player is available at a premium position of need then you take him.

While QB makes the biggest difference by far, there are other positions where adding a true stud can make a significant difference in your ability to win games, that is improve the win total. Edge is one of those. LT is another. WR is another. In certain offenses - LaFleuer's WCO - TE is another. What would the Patriots record have been without great TE play? Where would Rodgers and Mahomes be without great WRs to throw to? But lack of a great Safety hasn't been a deal breaker for most SB winning teams.

Borat likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

1- Those are my fav unis. Black with the dark green hats.
    2- That play by Adams was career defining, like OBJ's backwards catch. Giants should have cut Barkly and Danial Jones right after that game!
    3- Was watching highlites of Hamilton a while back..very impressive. One moment scared me a bit though...after making a great play he tore off his helmet and strutted around the field pounding his chest. That one moment he struck me as a huge me-me-me guy. Of course, he got flagged for 15. Maybe that was just a one-off and he's not really like that?

7. ColoradoContrails

I was one of those pounding the table for him. Legler called attention to Mahomes early and I jumped on the bandwagon right after that. I'm frankly still amazed that even professional NFL talent evaluators didn't see what he could - and would - do. His arm strength and ability to improvise and make plays out of nothing is off the charts.

But the point you bolded of mine wasn't so much about missing on Mahomes as it was in passing on taking a QB when one was needed. Reports of how bad Hack was were widely known, so how Macc didn't understand that was a massive failure on his part. Most likely he was trying to avoid admitting he had made a big mistake using his #2 pick on Hackenberg, but regardless, not taking a QB at #6 was incompetent.

Footballgod214 and Borat like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

1) I agree, those jerseys are legit
    2) absolutely, he called it before the play too so the story goes. of course probbaly calls it a lot and fails but he said i'm getting in there and getting that ball. more impressive was how he blew up barkley who's a freakishly strong RB. barkley doens't get blown up like that often if ever.
    3) players can have their moments but hamilton isn't a selfish guy. he's also extremely smart and not just football IQ. he's a certified mensa member. here is a good article about him
    https://www.ndinsider.com/story/spo...noys-his-seemingly-endless-skills/7978387002/

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am sure there were lots of posts about quoting the articles talking about the buzz that the FO wanted to trade up for AVT.

The problem in you not seeing it is three fold.
    1. There are rumors every year and they rarely come true.
    2. This forum is dominated by very loud trolls that drown out the thoughtful and intelligent posts and most news posts.
    3. Last year before the draft the trolls were in rare form. One particular Justin Fields love troll posted 50 to 100 spam posts every single day for the 3 months up to the draft hoping to drown out all the posts he disagreed with but he was unable to make an argument in response. Essentially this forum became all about him and a few other trolls with little to do with the Jets.

#69 Noam, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Did you see Mahomes the Second half of the Bengals game and how he looked early in the season and the last Superbowl? That is the Mahomes Jets would have gotten and this fan base would be calling him a bust.

ouchy likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Yes, you're right, Jets fans would've been calling him a bust, which goes to show how little most of them know. Still, Mahomes would've been better than anyone else we used at QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

100% agree. Qbs need good weapons, consistent and good coaching, and a decent o-line. Missing any one of the three can make a very good QB look bad, especially when they are young.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Joe Namath won 1 superbowl and he's been worshipped by this fan base for like 70 years. I'm pretty sure Mahomes woulda gotten the same treatment here and wouldnt be called a bust

the stuff you guys come up with sometimes

14. Footballgod214

Cant help but wonder if we're back in the Hack days but with Zack. 99% of the evidence says Zack aint the guy, but here we are again bc we think Zack will come to life in yr 2, so no need to talk about drafting a QB.
    Only this time it's all of TGG and not just GM Mac.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, that's not the point. It's not a matter of either/or. If Saleh wanted to, he could start 22 rookies, but that wouldn't be necessary. Those extra players could be at other positions of need, be part of a rotation, or upgrade depth. You can't definitively state that JD follows some policy after one time following that policy. What's much more likely is JD either staying put or trading down for additional picks. That's the background that he came from, and so far he hasn't been all that aggressive. That's also not the way to rebuild a team when you have as many holes/needs as the Jets have. One time is fine, but it shouldn't be a habit or pattern.

Yes, Fant and Becton make a good starting duo if both are healthy and playing, but the point is that Becton may not be starting, or if he is, he may not be playing well. He may not even be healthy. If Fant keeps the LT job, then Becton may not be good at RT. He wasn't at Louisville. And what if both get injured again and have to miss multiple games? Risking Zach's health and future playing behind Edoga and some other scrub OT is not wise imo and is totally avoidable.

I never said that GVR was good at RG, so please don't twist my words or put words in my mouth. Besides, don't say it's "fair" or fine for me to have my opinion, and then try to turn around and discredit my opinion by citing some other player I commented on. That's hypocritical. I said that he played much better at the end of the 2020 season, and that Saleh and JD thought he would be a good fit in our zone blocking scheme as he is mobile. Evidently I have higher standards for play than you do, and my standards are totally realistic. Maybe you're willing to accept subpar play, but I'm not. Other teams have had better depth than the Jets, we can get better depth too. I think you probably are a minority of one who thinks that Edoga is a fine backup. I have seen quite a few others on this forum state that they think Edoga sucks too.

Whether he's the #1 or #2, or even #3 TE doesn't matter. If he sees the playing field, he could be targeted, especially if he's the #2 TE in 2 TE sets. The Jets would have to target him to keep opposing Ds honest, and if he drops the ball again, he won't accomplish that and could cost us games again. I remember reading that he hadn't dropped a lot of passes before he came to the Jets, but in the end that doesn't matter. What's important is what he did for us, and last year he killed us with his drops. I'm not willing to risk his doing it again, even as the #2 or #3 TE. We're stuck with Davis, and he could drop a bunch of passes again this year. I'm not willing to keep another potential receiver who is capable of dropping a bunch of passes. Besides, a message needs to be sent to the players, that dropping passes and committing stupid penalties that negate 1st downs, big plays and/or TDS will not be tolerated. It's a part of demanding accountability. If JD does bring him back, I'll accept it and hope for the best, but hope that he won't. We could sign another TE for what we paid Kroft last year or what we'd have to pay to bring him back. When there are better TEs out there, I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity, especially so I can focus on the D like you want to do. This is an offensive league, and getting out offense going and developing Zach into a FQB is THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS OR SHOULD MATTER AT THIS POINT. The D can kick rocks for a year if need be, but I don't think it will have to. JD can add new good players to the D as well, but Saleh/Ulbrich have to do a better job of adapting the scheme to the skills/talents of the players we have and putting them in a position to succeed, or it won't matter if JD uses the entire draft and all the FA $s on D. It took him several weeks, but MLF adapted and adjusted the scheme and his play calling. It took Ulbrich and Saleh half the season, and even then the D didn't start playing at a decent level until the last 3-4 games.

Borat likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Reaching for a RT in the 1st round would have been a pretty good trick for the Texans considering that they didn't have a 1st round pick or a 2nd round pick, and their first pick was the 67th pick of the draft when they took David Mills, QB. Further, they didn't even draft an OL in the 2021 NFL draft. They did draft an OT to be their swing tackle in the 4th round of the 2020 draft.

17. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to draft a QB but i'd love to get one in free agency, I havn't the greatest confidence in any of ours as much as I hope Zack proves me wrong. Not that I have any idea what the options would be, and no not Watson :)

18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Foley is a goner he'll get paid somewhere else. Don't like London, he doesn't create space, thats why he gets all the contested catches. Reminds me too much of Mims. Would prefer Burks or Wilson.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

personally i'll never complain about more talent but it depends how the drafts go. for instance would you trade an elijah moore for a denzil mims and zuniga? it really depends how JD sees the draft in terms of drop off of talent at each position. I think JD is flexible enough he isn't dead set in doing 1 thing and will look to improve any way he can

I think you don't have a fair outlook on backups TBH. I mean burrow's o-line is awful. they would kill to have fant and becton. and they are in the SB. fant and becton is a top 10 duo at OT. you can't have 3 starting quality OTs when i'd be surprised if 50 even exist in the NFL and there are 64 jobs. expecting us to have 3 of them is tough. salary cap is there to prevent that. JD found a gem in fant. maybe he'll find another. wouldn't suprise me if edoga found a starting job somewhere next offseason even if he'll be a low tier starter.io-line talent is thin in the NFL

i'm not discrediting your opinion, I'm simply trying to point out that anyone's opinion including mine and yours can be incorrect so it's fair to take that into account. If you aren't willing to go into a discussion with the possibility that you could be incorrect then you are never going to see anyone else's side. The reality is anyone here including myself and you would have all been fired as GMs at some point for some of the things we said the jets should do. I know you believe other teams have better depth but can you consider maybe you are incorrect? that maybe the chiefs lost the SB because they lacked depth last year and because hill had a bad game?, or maybe the lost the AFC champ game this year because mahomes who is arguably the best QB in the league sucked in the 2nd half of the game? I mean the bucs went into the season with 3 pro bowl talent WRs and wound up with 1 in the playoffs and lost. I didn't see anyone saying they lacked depth at WR because their 4th and 5th guys didn't do anything in the playoffs, but somehow we lack depth because our 4,5, and 6 WRs were starters at the end of the year. I didn't see anyone say the niners lacked depth when they went 6-10 last year due to injuries. My main point here is that sometimes fans look at the jets in a bubble and create their expectation but it doesn't match the reality of how NFL teams actually function. I think edoga is fine as a backup to spot start a game or 2. I don't want him starting a full season but you don't expect that out of a backup. injuries have a much bigger effect on record.

here were the healthiest NFL teams
    cheifs (AFC champ game)
    pats (playoffs)
    texans (suck no talent)
    chargers (narrowly missed playoffs)
    bills (playoffs)
    bengals (Superbowl)
    Rams (superbowl)
    cowboys (playoffs)
    cards (playoffs)
    colts (narrowly missed playoffs)

so out of the 10 healthiest teams 7 made the playoffs, 2 are in the SB, 2 narrowly missed, and 1 just sucked in the middle of a rebuild

least healthiest teams
    ravens (missed playoffs, but are a playoff talented team when healthy)
    packers (made playoffs, didn't win a playoff game)
    giants (sucked)
    saints (sucked)
    Bucs (made playoffs, lost in NFC champ game)
    panthers (sucked)
    seahawks (sucked)
    titans (made playoffs, didn't win a game)
    Jets (sucked)
    lions (sucked)

only 3 teams overcame injuries to at least get in with the bucs, titans, and packers. and they all couldn't compete with the healthier teams. No team can compete with a bunch of backups, they are backups for a reason

with kroft he made 2 mil. 3 years prior to us he averaged 1 drop a year. that's hardly an issue. davis was sure handed too but had drop issues. I think it's been an adjustment catching balls from zach for our WR group. even crowder had some drops. berrios was the only one who didn't really drop anything. if we bring in a new WR or 2 and a new TE that fixes a lot. we don't want to run too many 2 TE sets. the NFL is very much a 3WR, 1TE,1RB baseline. in 2020 when MLF was with the niners they ran 2 TE 12% of the time. they ran it 18% of the time in 2019. we ran it 20% of the time but a lot was due to injuries at WR. a 3rd WR is way more important in our offense then the 2nd TE. If we draft burks and he drops a couple of balls are you going to want to get rid of him instantly?

20. GasedAndConfused

you realize this isn't my opinion and it's what they jets would be doing based on rumors?

BudJet likes this.