Saleh admits to terrible planning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Nov 21, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't know what his point is either, but he's missing the real point. He's arguing about quarterback injuries, when the real point is all about preparing for a quarterback injury. Two different but extremely interrelated subjects.

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  2. The_Darksider

Let me ask you a question. Aaron Rodgers played four snaps for the Jets, never even completed a pass, what does him being a Hall of Famer or an elite quarterback have anything to do with it? If a team loses a "starting" quarterback, they need a decent back up. Doesn't matter if he's elite. It's not like Aaron Rodgers was here for four years and had multiple championship game appearances. It is completely irrelevant who the backup is replacing in this particular instance.

The point here, and the only point here, is that the team knew that their backup was not ready to play in the NFL as evidenced by going out and getting another quarterback. They did not prepare properly for not only the eventuality that he might have to play, but in not thinking about the fact that forcing him to play would probably run him into the ground which is counterproductive to what they were trying to accomplish.

So in essence, you can throw away every variable except that one. Wilson not ready, forcing him in too early not only ruins the season but possibly him as well, you need to make sure you don't allow that to happen.

Forget everything else. Forget Prescott forget Cassell forget Pennington forget aunt Jemima forget Abraham Lincoln, that is the only issue.

#102 The_Darksider, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  3. The_Darksider

Agreed, it can definitely be worse. Multiple pick six plays, no first downs at all, a lot of sacks because the quarterback is immobile. However, I'm willing to bet that his much quicker ability to get the ball out will negate some of the sacks and keep the line a little fresher because it doesn't have to work so hard while Zach scrambles after taking too much time. So while the results COULD be much worse, I think it will be much the same with a little bit more offense and potentially more turnovers.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Saleh is no angel, that's for sure, and really, we should have gotten Daboll that year. Just needed to wait a little longer. I am becoming convinced the way to build a team if by hiring a successful OC who calls the plays to be your HC. Offense is just much more important than defense in modern NFL. Ability to develop a QB is critical. Calling innovative plays. And yes, to evaluate a QB. Last year a lot of teams with good defense didn't even make play-offs, while these with good offense all did. We just need to pick the right OC.

With all that said, I would not fire Saleh now. I want to see how Rodgers experiment plays out next year. I still have hope he can come back and be the best QB we can realistically get. And if he comes back, Hack has to be back, so the offensive play calling is set. And if that is set, you can't really hire that promising OC to be your HC. Saleh does know how to run defense. So, at this point, Saleh stays.

The only guy I would possibly get rid of would be JD. Even then Rodgers might oppose, but I think it is a much easier conversation than firing Hack. Maybe the new GM can actually build a line to protect Arod, something JD could not do in 4 years. But most likely it is a package deal. We keep everyone and give them one last shot because of Rodgers.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  5. The_Darksider

C. Neither have a chance in hell

Boyle is terrible and always has been, and he's about Geno's age now. Give or take. Geno was never as bad as Zach.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yup…to me the issue is that there was enough concern on Zach before the season to go get Rodgers. So first inflection point is:

1. Offseason - decision on what to do with Zach…give up on him and cut/trade him like SF did with Lance or keep him as a backup and see if he can develop

2. Offseason - decision was made to keep him and develop him…ok then the next decision is to make him #2 or #3…obviously we let White go and signed Boyle so we decided to make Zach #2

3. Game 1 - we lost AR with an injury that has always been season ending…ok then do we go out and sign a QB…could have tested Wentz, Foles, Flacco (Ugh) and maybe a couple other free agents, none of whom are very appealing, or we could have explored a trade for someone like a Brissett or Dobbs…at the time trade was probably not a realistic option that early in the season, but the decision was made to literally do nothing

4. Trade Deadline - by this time, we knew Zach was struggling…and while we had signed Simien, he stayed on the practice squad, so either he looked THAT bad or there was stubbornness in not pushing Zach, but at the deadline, it seems like there were some options available..Dobbs was in fact traded for a throwaway 6th round pick (peanuts), and there was talk that someone like Brissett was made available. We passed on all of them.

Personally, I would have done the opposite of all of these decisions. Starting with finding a way to keep White, or else signing another QB in the offseason, but FOR SURE would have gone after someone else once the injury happened.

I’ve just not liked the reaction from JD all along this trail

SOJAZ, REVISion, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was pretty much a rhetorical question because Wilson has been cited here about possibly being the second coming of Smith.

The_Darksider likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

lol I know, I just rarely pass up a chance to be humorous. Or at least attempt to.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

After the NE game JD finally woke up. I could even understand at the time that maybe he wants to give Zach a couple of games to see if he should try to trade a lot for a better QB or get a Wentz without assets. But after NE game that point has arrived and we had to do something.

instead of exploring a trade (at that time it was reasonable) or getting Wentz, he just went with Siemian because of system familiarity. I personally didn't understand it, because Trevor sucked lately. Sucked really bad in preseason to the point he did not even make a PS for the Bengals. Which is why I understand why the Jets are starting Boyle. As bad as he's always been, at least he had that one good game in preseason, and he is probably better than Simien now who sucked in very game in preseason. It's just inexcusable.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

True, but it was fun to watch him.

NY Jets68 and Acad23 like this.
  11. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

ho
    This team does everything ass backwards. Well we should have sat Zach when we drafted him, but we screwed that up so we're gonna sit him now and then everything will be ok. That worked out real good. At least we didnt have to wait another year or 2 to see them try Zach yet AGAIN because we all know how that would have gone.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  12. Yankee6

How many times in a row do we need to pick the wrong one before you realize we are not capable of doing so?

13. The_Darksider

This. It all starts at the top, I wouldn't trust Woody to pick out fruit at the supermarket much less get a proper regime in place to pick the right offensive coordinator.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed. The only thing that remotely makes sense is that JD had blind hope/optimism that Zach would miraculously put it all together despite all the evidence to the contrary. Either way, the conclusion is the same: gross incompetence.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We didn't pick that many successful OCs to be the HC. When was the last time it happened? I can't recall that happening in recent memory. Looks like Coslet was the last one in 1990. But this was different times. Now is the new era with offense heavily favored everywhere. Daboll would have been the first one in the new era if we waited for him.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  16. Yankee6

my mistake i read it wrong. Now i see what your saying.

Borat likes this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is football. No one is being punched in the face or shot in the dick. We’re here to be entertained. We’ve watched 3 years of the most unentertaining QB in Jets history. There is not much worse. Tim Boyle is new. I can be entertained for a short while by something new. Maybe a quarter of football, who knows. Maybe he throws 6 picks and we lose. It’s still different. Everything this season is a punt to next season, so I wish to be entertained now somehow since wins clearly are not gonna be the way. Zach has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be unentertaining.

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and jets_fan like this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Matty Ices agent called the Jets. I absolutely would have kicked the tires on he and Wentz instead of dismissing them like they couldn’t possibly outperform the mighty Zach Wilson.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Everyone says this and that and literally the Tim Boyle haters were talking about Mike White the same way.

And then he comes out and throw 37/45 300+ yds against a Bengals D that went to the super bowl that year. SHUSH!

Stop sleeping on backups who rarely played any live reps.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

White had never started before his Jets debut, lit up college defenses, and was drafted. Boyle has started before and played like Peterman. He was also terrible in college, was undrafted, and is only still in the league because he's friends with Rodgers.