Sal Paolantonio: Jets fielding offers for picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NEJets, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wrong thread for this but if you think things fell apart the last two seasons, well that just shows us how far the Jets have come. Fell apart used to be 4-12 in the cellar. The Jets were 8-5 and 6-7 after 13 games the last two years.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

even though the starts to each of those seasons weren't completely horrendous, to lose the last 3 two years ago and blow the playoffs, and then do it again to cap a 6-10 season, I think it is fair to say both seasons fell apart.

3. Br4d

The Jets were 8-5 in 2011 with Mark Sanchez at QB. Think about that.

Rex has won 38 games over the last 4 seasons with a QB who has ranked no higher than 23rd at any point during that time. That's got to be near an NFL record.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I am a Rex supporter, so I am not advocating the seasons fell apart because of his coaching ability (though I am critical of his decisions last season). but the seasons certainly fell apart. absent of the specific reasons or blame, I think it is fair to qualify those seasons as falling apart, at the end at least, though one could argue that last season was just one sustained failure.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

:( sadly i will never see it. he is on my ignore list. but im sure someone will quote it so i will still prepared for the dynasty!!!!!

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

one thing to remember guys is that rex was the head man in charge when the braintrust decided to give sancho his big pay day and was the guy who has refused to pull him for the past 2 years. until it was just impossible to not pull him

then he went and put him back in again.

thats an issue for me.

7. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I have been waiting a long time for the NYJs to trade down and "cash in" on draft picks.

Could this finally be happining?

Trade #9 and #13 and recieve two late round 1st plus two seconds plus our own.

Thats 5 picks in two rounds. Thats building power. Heck, or even three 3s or whatever.

If the NYJs can get to round 4 with 7 or 8 picks thats a coup!

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I have and always will be a Rex supporter. Having seen the Jets go thru so many coaches, whether it was Ewbank, Holtz, Michales, Walton, on and on - they've all had their ups and downs. It's inevitable...so what do we say...if we don't remember the past we are doomed to repeat it? The fans/media are to blame for this because of their impetuousness.

The Jets are known to be on one of the longest '5 year' programs since football was invented.

Well, when a coach expresses his zealousness about his team and to have his players support him by making it know they want to play for him, well that's the coach we should do our best to hang on to.

Rome or Manhattan wasn't built in a day.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Hill was a rookie last year. It's rare that 2nd round WRs find their stride in their first year without an elite QB. I don't agree about Kerley. He's shown he can be a decent #2 WR behind Holmes. Holmes - Kerley - Hill is a decent core, provided Holmes gets healthy (in which he should). We really only need a #3/#4 WR, so we don't need to draft one early. Right now we have NO FS other than last year's 6th round pick, Bush, and backup quality OLBs. With WR we have Holmes, who's the best playmaker on the team, and Kerley who's a good slot / #2 WR. My hope is that Hill can develop into the #2, while Kerley plays more slot, since that's his forte. I also don't mind both of them going long while putting Holmes in the slot. That could potentially give the defense nightmares. This is a defensive draft, so I'd rather see more early picks on D, along with some OGs. WR isn't a big need. It's a small one. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Braylon if we don't draft a mid to late round WR.

#69 Barcs, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  10. JETFIGHTERS

Somehow I really believe this will be the best draft the NYJs have ever had. If "it" goes down like I want, the NYJs will be set by in the 4th.

New GM, "do yo thang!!!"

11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Greene was replaced by Goodson
    Landry was replaced with Landry
    Pouha will be replaced by Ellis (plus the other backup NT we signed, can't remember the name)
    Scott will be/has been replaced by Davis
    Devito will be replaced with Coples

I expect Moore & Slauson to be replaced via draft. We'll probably also draft a FS to replace Bell plus another LB early to replace Bryan Thomas. The rest will be depth players, unless we draft a QB. We'll probably draft a TE in the mix somewhere and then sign Cumberland after the draft. That's my guess. We also signed an OLB earlier this off season.

OLB at #9, trade down get another 2nd and 3rd plus late first, draft the guards in the late 1st / early 2nd round and a QB /TE in the third. I'd go with FS with the other 2nd rounder. The 4-5 rounds, should probably be the WR & RB (maybe Ivory) or a CB, then 6-7 should be all depth for the lines. Of course I'm no GM, so I'll probably be dead wrong, but that's my estimate. :)

#71 Barcs, Apr 25, 2013
  12. JETFIGHTERS

Teams that make it to the SB usually have a draft with 4 of more "hits"

Lets be one of them tonight.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd be thrilled if our draft involved getting Austin at 9 or 13, using the other pick to trade down for a late 1st / early 2nd pick and a 1st next year, and using one of the two later picks on Ertz.

14. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Any chance in hell of this being true?

Lafferty ‏@S_LYNGSTAD 35m
    BREAKING: Potential top 10 trade partner for Minnesota is the Jets. Package includes picks 23 and 25 from MIN, pick 9 and Tebow from NYJ.

https://twitter.com/S_LYNGSTAD

#74 Concerned_Citizen, Apr 25, 2013
  15. NEJets

NEJets Member

Please,, let's do it!!!!!

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

No chance. He's a kid, and he also says that the trade up is to select Nassib.

17. Br4d

That trade would value Tebow at about the 92.5 pick. I'd say no chance at all unless the Vikings were paying a premium to trade up.

Would be a good deal for us if true however.

18. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

This guys (Mangini) included just live mocked us

Jets send 9th and third round to Cleveland for their first.
    I'd be so pissed.

19. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

If Dion Jordan dropped to nine, would you still want to make this move?

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd rather start to shore up the rest of the roster, we'll finish bad this year anyway and hopefully get a QB then when Sanchez is fully off the books.

Of course I wouldn't mind trying to find a diamond in the rough later in the draft (a la Wilson) but I don't think it should be our priority.