Saints acquire LB Vilma from Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

looks like we will find out by tomorrow afternoon. Im also guessing this forum will explode with people online

2. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Yea definitely, tomorrow could be the biggest day of free agent transactions and trades in franchise history.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I hope, but I don't know. After trading two picks this year and not getting one back for Vilma, I have to believe there's some added bonus and more potential with that '09 pick.

I don't think anyone was willing to give a 2nd rounder for him. The knee is a major issue.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The reason why its conditional for 09 is because no one knows how Vilma's knee is going to hold up. Therefore, no GM would ever trade this years picks for Vilma, knowing he could get screwed if he can't play.

Since Vilma's knee condition is not fully known, a conditional pick must be placed on it, and a full season must pass before anyone knows how he is going to play. So 09 is going to be the judgment on what we get. Could be anything from 1-4.

5. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

I hear what your saying, I would just figure that Tannenbaum could play teams against each other and figure out a way to get a early 3rd (08) or second round 08 draft pick. But who knows, maybe were getting a conditional 09 pick and a 4th or 5th round pick for this season.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what a waste, they couldn't even take their time and get the best deal. AWFUL job by the FO, another gifted player exites the building.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'd also like to point out that with the type of injury Vilma has- he may never be the same player ever again.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

coditional pick was the way to go. the better he is, the better off we are. now we have another reason to root for him. thanks jville, we love ya! now go out and be the beast we know you are, and get us a higher pick!!!

9. CanadaGreen

CanadaGreen New Member

So long Vilma..won't miss you one bit

Let's be honest, Vilma did not play well the last few years. Good players make big plays and he was obviously on the decline. I don't give a shit about 3-4 or 4-3, he should have played better than he did. This is a good trade and if he plays well it could become a great trade.

10. Tumer

Tumer New Member

I was hoping for a pick/player to help us right away and it's hard/frustrating to know if the Jets got a good deal based on an unknown conditional pick. That said, we can't really pass judgement until we a) know what the terms are, b) see who we actually draft in 2009, c) watch that player and Vilma perform on the field. This is going to be a tough pill to swallow for those Vilmatics out there. (Vilmatic's not copyrighted, is it?)

11. Ciorson

Ciorson New Member

What's up with Detroit (other than Millen)? This looks to be the second trade with them that fell apart in a few days. They don't seem to want Vilma much and cant get rid of Rogers to a team that seemed to want him.

12. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

This pleases me - especially the conditional pick - as long as it COULD be a first, and doesn't top out at a second or something. It was the ONLY way we could get good value for a player coming off surgery coming from a defense he didn't fit. To be honest, I think we did well.

13. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Next year. This team should have that as their slogan.. At the end of every season i hear NEXT YEAR now we trade a man you'll get something NEXT year. What when the saints go to the nfc championship or Super bowl and we get a 30 th pick. . Im tired of next year.

#53 jets94nj, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

30th pick in 2009 > 3rd round pick in 2008

You're tired of "next year", I'm tired of medicority. With the Jenkins trade, Faneca signing, and trade for a conditional pick that could perhaps become a 2nd or maybe even a 1st, they're finally trying to be more than average.

15. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

im dissapointed to see vilma go. He's my favorite player and i really wanted to see how he would do next to harris and a big guy in front of him (Jenkins). That pick probably won't stay a 4th rounder. I'm curious with how high the pick will get cuz i think he'll play 16 games and tear it up in New Orleans. At least Vilma is in a system that he likes.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Then the trade was a complete success.

Might I remind everyone that we traded Vilma to a franchise that has had TWO PLAYOFF APPEARANCES EVER, i feel we did the right thing giving a knee-injured 1st round talent to a losing team.. that way if he does well- we get a high pick in whatever round... this was a great trade.

17. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

How could anyone comment on if this trade was good or bad when we have no idea what the draft pick was lol?! Give this trade time, I'm sure the details of that conditional pick will leak out sooner or later. My hope is that we get a 1st rounder out of this and anything less than a 2nd rounder is a joke, but we don't know yet. Still too early.

18. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

everyone bitching about next year, next year, please don't forget that's how teh Pats always seem to have a stockpile of picks, by banking on just that mentality. As for the Vilma details, I tend to agree that if the pick CAN be a first, then no matter what happens it was a good trade. If the highest it can be is a second, then I will grumble a bit and pray for the Saints to suck next year, and if it tops out at a third (which I sincerely doubt), then we got fleeced.

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

A conditional is fine; it would have been nice if we got something this year, but I can see this as the best long-term investment. The Jets are obviously banking on the fact that Vilma's knee is doing great and he will be a force for the Saints next year, which translates into a decent extra pick. The Saints are covering their butts this year just in case something goes wrong. I see the is fair and a win-win. Let's hope Vilma has a great year next year.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

vilma was great in the 4-3 but he was undersized in useless in the 3-4. Harris proved last year we will be a better defense with him on th field.

Vilma had a lot of energy and was a leader, but he just didn't fit. if he is a stud in NO, which I hope he is, we will pick up a nice pick for him next year.