Sad- Bills and Jets were in the same boat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Jan 16, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those are just "guys" for the most part. Allen & White withstanding of course. Oliver looks like a bust even and so does Singletary & Knox.

Something that is NOT discussed is how Buffalo built that team through free agency & trades. They say to build your team through the draft is the best avenue but Buffalo has Cole Beasley, John Brown, Stefon Diggs, almost the entire offensive line and 3 of their best defensive players (Hyde, Poyer, Jerry Hughes) all acquired elsewhere...

they didn't built their team through the draft at all

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This draft is year 1 of the rebuild.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Good thing next week isn't the Superbowl then.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they have to make it there 1st. without mahomes I don't think they will make it. obviously if they did make it he would play in it because that's a lot of extra time.

I do wonder though if the NFL would find a way around concussion protocol to get mahomes in the game. nobody wants to watch chad henne try and beat the bills for a trip to the SB. losing mahomes would be a big ratings crash for the NFL

5. IIMeanDeanII

I think we all would prefer to see It played proper with both starting QBs going at It. I think the NFL clearly benefits from Mahommes playing.

I think favoritism would be way too obvious though and wouldn't allow for it.

The Chiefs have a good roster though. It's not impossible for Henne to get that win In a game manager capacity. IMO

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's pretty impossible IMO without mahomes. of course stranger things have happened in the NFL but the odds go way down.

and we wouldn't know favortism we would just hear he's out of concussion protocol

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is year two. Can you address the specific points about blockbuster trade of Adams, trades of Williamson, McLendon, Willis for draft position, waiving of Bell, multiple trade downs in the last draft to bring more young talent, not giving any big contracts and saving CAP? How is this not a start of the rebuild? I am not sure what in your mind constitutes start of a rebuild, but what JD did last year was exactly it by any objective measure.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yes the trades and then the following draft are year 1 of the rebuild. Until we actually acquire players from those trades we are still in year 1. Next year, including the 2022 draft, will be year 2.

9. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Yea......I definitely disagree.

2007- White(starting CB), Dawkins(starting LT), Milano(starting OLB), T. Johnson(starting slot CB), Oliver(starting DT), Allen(starting QB), Singletary(starting RB), Knox(starting TE), Bass(K), H. Phillips(rotational DT), Ford(starting LG before injury) and G. Davis(big contributer)

The saying goes you want at least 2 starters out of each draft class, which we’ve achieved.

Bills over Jets likes this.
  10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I can’t think of the last time someone called 3 players, all in just their 2nd year, who are all starting and contributing “busts.”

BuffaloBills06 likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no doubt in my mind that Mahomes will play on Sunday. The NFL can bang the independent neurologist drum all they want but they're still ultimately employed by the NFL regardless of the label they also on it.

The league views Mahomes in the same light as they viewed Peyton Manning in my opinion. He will play.

And for what it's worth (and I know he got up woozy), that didn't look to be a really bad one. It looked like he got some neck whiplash more than anything. Not trying to belittle any concussion of any kind but if it were on a scale I'd imagine it to be on the lower end of severeness of that scale. I didn't even see him really hit his head.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The first angle they showed made it look like his head was pile-driven into the ground, but the side angle showed that his helmet barely made contact with the ground. I agree, the way the tackler had his arm around the neck made it look more like a neck injury than a head injury.

jilozzo likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The biggest trade (Adams) and draft trade downs for more youth were done last off season 2020. CAP preservation, not signing long contracts, not making any commitments was last offseason 2020. Other players released and pick swaps - in season 2020. We are now in offseason 2021. Let's call spade a spade: 2020 is the first year of rebuild, 2021 is the second year. Look, I want to give Douglas as much slack as anyone, but either he is absolute shit of a GM or 2020 was the first year of rebuild. And I think JD is a very good GM.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with JD but I'll split the difference. Last years draft was a normal draft. We didn't cash in on any trades so technically its not a rebuild draft. We did sort of rebuild with that draft so we can say it was a half rebuild. But we are still 3 drafts away from being rebuilt and we have the capital to do it. We are in almost the exact same position as the Bills were when they traded Mahomes. They had a little better team. We have a little better draft position.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

With the idiots we have hired now in the FO if we had 6 1st round picks we would screw each one of them up :mad:

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

He absolutely is.

17. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah? Based on what?

18. BrowningNagle

have you watched the guy play this year? he is at an MVP level

19. BrowningNagle

lets see... the 3 biggest weaknesses on that Buffalo team. Running the ball, stopping the run and having a reliable TE. Those guys? running back, DT, and TE. I didn't say anything overly negative anyway, I just said your best players were acquired in free agency for the most part. And it is true. I suspect the GM will look for upgrades at those 3 spots after the season.

The Buffalo fanbase are the biggest "chicken little" fans in the universe. And you are playing the stereotype out perfectly. Instead of enjoying your team on the cusp of the Super Bowl, an entertaining team I might add, you are on a Jets message board looking for every little opportunity to get upset about someone talking about the team

20. IIMeanDeanII

Sure did. I watched him play against KC in the regular season. He looked like dog shit.

I still think he is shit. I'll wait and see.. Maybe I'll be wrong.