Ryan keeps talking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dexter Morgan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Look.......I'm not saying I like it or dislike it. I actually dig Rex. However, there is something to be said for being humble and quiet.

2. Jetserella

Jetserella New Member

Personally, I don't think those are good qualities for a head coach...but watch the video and judge for yourself

3. KWJetsFan

I guess I should specify........I'm all about crazed profanity and bravado behind closed doors. I just think that speaking your mind to the extent Rex does in front of the press puts a LOT of gratuitous pressure on the team.

Then again, they are doing a hell of a job of winning games, so I'm most likely wrong.

4. Jetserella

Jetserella New Member

Agreed, I do think it puts a lot of pressure on his players, but I think they like it. And as a long suffering jets fan, I kinda like it too...

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

What evidence do you have that shows that saying you want to win the game against a great team puts gratuitous pressure on anybody?

I don't quite understand why the media insists on reporting this as if he said something is even controversial. The Colts beat us last year and we want to win the ball game. BFD.

I am psyched that our coach isn't some tight lipped taciturn a-hole who refuses to discuss the game. He says he wants to beat the colts - why is that some sort of controversial stmt? WE DO WANT TO BEAT THE COLTS. ALOT.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

They all got their quotes from [​IMG]

7. KWJetsFan

You don't think it does? You don't think the Jets will get 10x the Sh*t from the media if they don't win it all because of the bravado Rex displays in front of the media? Imagine if they go out in the 1st round?

Again, I didn't say I didn't like it. I think a lot of Jets players love it, but you are naive if you think some Jets players aren't wishing he would shut up.

Why not just say it behind closed doors?

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

No, I don't think it does. What exactly is it that Rex said that you think is so terrible? I think the players all agree with Rex. THEY WANT TO WIN THE GAME. I mean who the hell is sitting around worrying about what bob costas might say??? Thats just gay.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I hope he's calling Peyton Manning's house right now and screaming Journey Lyrics into his phone. I hope he never shuts up.

Indianapolis delenda est.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

haaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I really hope that happened.

11. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Here's something posted on another board about Rex

To answer the question people are afraid of things that are new, they've been so accustomed to Belichick style of coaching they see Rex come along with a different way of running things and they say: "OMG shut up" or "he's such a loudmouth" fact is IF Rex will find success with the Jets or maybe another team then his style of loudmouth coaching will become the norm in the NFL,

Secondly Rex is like the biggest star in the NFL right now between Hard Knocks and the funny interviews/press conferences and the foot fetish vids people love his swagger and the way he does things, he's one of those rare people that was born to play/coach in New York the way he handles the Media to the way he took the Jets from basically nothing to almost going to the Superbowl in his first season with a rookie quarterback and are in position to do the same thing this season. So he not only gets star attention but everything he says is dissected just like a regular celebrity and blown up

Thirdly you came to the wrong damn place to get a logical explanation for the widely hated Jets and especially hated Rex Ryan

Fourthly people just need to mind their own damn business really and worry about their own team instead of worrying about the fat loudmouth in NY is doing or saying, but as you can see in this thread the Jets trolls are just waiting to jump on the first out of the ordinary thing Rex says and crucify him

To sum it up Haters Gonna Hate

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

not everyone is of Teddy Roosevelt's ilk. I'm more of a Reagan doctrinaire, as in "tear down this mothereffing wall, beeotch." He said that as he pointed nukes at Moscow and talked about building the real live death star.

13. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Im so tired of the same old football cliches. The Belichik type shit (there are many but he is kind of the trendsetter) the "It is what it is" type bullshit. I appreciate the sincerity (of Rex) and I think the whole league should exercise a little more of this attitude. Id rather hear him say this kind of stuff than the same old tired football coach who is trying to avoid the tabloids.

Please realize the only reason you hate Rex is because he does not fear the media. When you want him to shut up all you are doing is being afraid of being accountable as a Jets fan, because your coach has some over-the-top inflated reach of a story that the media tries to create. I can't tell you how I loathe the media and how it takes a lot of the magic out of the game that is football.

So as far as Im concerned Rex and every other coach in the league should speak their piece. If you ask me the league needs an attitude adjustment. (lets start by ousting this twat commissioner)

14. hang3xc

hang3xc Member

I'm a Pat's fan & I think Rex is great. I always love his comments & that thing he did with the wig and his brother was hilarious. He has FUN, doesn't take himself too seriously, must be lot's of fun at cookout's etc
    I'm sure he's dead serious when dissecting teams & devising schemes to put in place for game day though. He's paid his dues and was great at what he did. You can bet he's watching, learning, & improving all the time. He's done a great job so far and will likely be a head coach for as long as he wants to be.
    That being said, I hope you beat the Colts so we don't have to play Baltimore and can have the added pleasure of whipping you guys one more time! Good Luck

15. The Mak

The Mak New Member

A Pats fan that....

[​IMG]

...likes Rex? And sees the humor behind his bluster?

Is...is this real life?

Seriously, it seems like the media has taken his "beat the fuck out of ya" speech from training camp on Hard Knocks and played it on their headsets during each Rex Presser this season. No matter how innocuous or self-depreciating his comments are, they get filtered out to some form of "REX TAWKS MORE SHIT THAN LAST WEEK, WHO WILL SHIT HIM UP?" It's tiring.

16. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Rex is Rex. I don't see where anything he said is bulletin board news. The dude is sick of losing to The Colts, he said what he said, so what. Does he need to be quiet sometimes? That all depends on who's listening.

Honestly, Rex is a breath of fresh air. I've watched way too many seasons of the Jets cowering in a corner as a team and saying all the 'right' things and still getting their asses handed to them, being the laughing stock of the league.

IMHO, people don't have the Jets to laugh at any more, to place a W on their calendar when they see our team on their schedule, and quite frankly I believe it's pissing a lot of people off, no more instant win, fans of other teams, can't say they're sorry when they hear me say I'm a Jets fan, because the culture in this organization has changed. If Colts players and coaching staff need what Rex said to get them hyped, then they've lost the game already and they can kick rocks.

Rex has a swag about him that rubs off on this team. He's a chip off the old block, Buddy was no different.

As has previously been stated, this is Rex, we all knew this from his very 1st conference, so no one should be surprised by it at this point.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

^^ I was gonig to post this but you saved me the trouble

Seriously 99% of the crap that the media portrays as "trash talk" by the Jets is nothing of the sort if people would take the time to actually read what is being said and think for themselves.

18. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

The NY media sucks. They are more mad that the Giants didn't make the playoffs then the Jets making it..

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The media will try to find things with Rex now. The cover of the post is Rex put his foot in his mouth,...haha funny...seriously guys??

Now reporters are annoyed that rex said Manning has beaten me and not his team. Saying he is just a coach and doesn't play a down. They just know rex will provide quotes and that controversy sells papers so they build up Rex saying that he wants to win Saturday---WHAT??? How dare he want to win a playoff game!!

He has toned down the talk big time...does he want the Jets in the Super Bowl -- hell yes...do 11 other playoff coaches want them same thing....I can only assume but I don't think they want to take pride in just coming to the dance.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Media, especially print media, has always been pro-giant. That's a main reason why Jets have always been in the second seat. This goes back a long way, to the NFL-AFL wars. NY papers were always more concerned with bringing Namath down than giving him credit. The current crop of writers grew up in the 80s, Parcells dominated atmosphere.

Rex is absolutely the first guy to throw down the gauntlet to Giants' supremacy and its threatening a lot of people.