Russell Wilson: Another QB Situation for Jet Fans to Track...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Snatch Catch, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Easy for Brady to take less money when his wife makes more than he does.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats not what we want as fans. it'll destroy parity. when players start taking big pay cuts and demanding places to go and building a dream team it's not good for parity. we just watched brady do it and get a SB. we don't want the NFL like the NBA

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. It's much harder for a single player to dominate the NBA though. I really don't think we're ever going to see anything like Brady again and it's too early to predict that sort of success with Mahomes.

Players controlling the movement will only hurt the product. Especially because the more it happens, the lower the asking price will go by the team dealing them.

GasedAndConfused and REVISion like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's what they said about baseball. NFL players are the worst treated players in sport. If you're a kid who is so gifted you could play any sport, the last sport you should play is football. Shorter career, even if you stay relatively healthy, lower compensation, less opportunity to play where you want to. Sooner or later the player will get enough resolve to change this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't see Wilson getting traded; the Seahawks surely will do what they have to do to keep him, and there are a lot worse places he could end up than Seattle.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Then the NFLPA needs to do a better job at negotiating their CBA's. Increased player movement as dictated by the players only benefits the top tier players and when the product gets worse it will ultimately hurt the rest of the league while they're still highly sought after and well compensated.

Russell Wilson potentially wanting to be traded because he's frustrated does not help anyone but Russell Wilson.

cval, TonyFtLaud and REVISion like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

One concern with trading for Wilson is his agent, Mark Rogers. Rogers has exactly one client, Russell Wilson. So what you say? This gives Rogers the ability to demand top dollar for his client (which he's done twice now) with zero repercussions for any other players he reps. He really doesn't care who he pisses off.

Agents try and stay tight with GMs and HCs, getting their players jobs, playing time, etc, and they consider their entire portfolio when negotiating for a specific client. No agent wants to become toxic to where GMs avoid his players just to avoid dealing with the agent. But Rogers can be as toxic as he pleases, as long as he has exactly one player as significant as a FQB.

Rogers has already demanded Wilson be the highest paid player in FB twice now, and would salivate at the thought of Russell being traded to a new team. And with Mahomes just signing a $45m per contract, Rogers can't wait for his next shot.

Wilson would be a great QB for the Jets, but if he comes here we're gonna have to pay him top dollar.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I love Russell and would absolutely take him here. He probably costs less than Watson and he brings Ciara with him

9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Whoa, things are really bad in SEA - way worse than I think anyone realized. Some pretty significant reporting here by The Athletic, with the Seahawks side consciously putting some damning words out there publicly. Potentially great news for our 2022 pick...

https://theathletic.com/2409212/2021/02/25/russell-wilson-trade-seahawks/

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Seems like they view the situation a bit differently on each side.

But honestly I think it's a mixture of both. Wilson does play hero ball sometimes, but it's also a nature of the playcalling and offense and what they've coached their receivers to do. And it's what Wilson is great at.

They do have a bad offensive line across most of the positions outside Brown though because of the type of massive run blockers they draft and sign.

They should switch the system and the playcalling in the Rams game was just atrocious against that pass rush. And I'm sure Wilson is a bit miffed that they traded three premium picks for a box safety with resources that could've helped him.

dawinner127 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Give them the 2-1’s they gave us for the one trick pony safety for RW

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

As long as the cap stays in effect then I don't think we will end up with NBA-style dream teams, after all if Brady, Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers were all out there now trying to build that team then the question for FA's in other positions is "Come here for less pay then you are worth and maybe a 1 in 4 shot of a SB".

Then you have the part of the CBA dealing with rookies where an organisation can just keep a rotation of cheap, young QB's going and any that whiff of FQB material can be dealt for picks to build a sustainable team that only requires Ryan/Dalton levels of competence to have a run.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I have no interest in this guy.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All of these situations: Goff, Wentz, Watson, Wilson and maybe a few more like Big Ben, Rodgers, Garoppolo and Cousins are related to the cap crunch.

Lots of QB's signed to deals when it seemed like the cap was always going up, up, up and now it has taken a big step back (-10% for 2021) and things don't look so certain a year or two down the road and those big QB deals are coming back to bite teams hard.

Why the QB deals among all the rest?

Because the QB deals are the richest and have the most guaranteed money as a class and also as a class QB's were the most overpaid position under the old CBA.

If I'm the Jets right now I'm just sitting back, content to know that I have both a good opportunity to draft a cheap QB and also have the cheapest returning starter for 2021. It's a buyers market in a big way and when the bargains start hitting the market maybe I even spend a bit there to upgrade. Only if it's a bargain though. Buying high in a buyer's market is something only idiots do and nobody gets away with in the end.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if there will be a time in the near future when QB's are willing to take a little less money on their second contract and make it easier for their teams to build around them while still being set for life.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing, assuming football survives the next decade, which is an open question, that teams are going to become a lot smarter about how they spend their money as the effects of the truly huge QB contracts become known.

It's really only been about twenty years or so since the QB contracts exploded upwards in the wake of Drew Bledsoe's big deal. That's not enough time for a culture to really absorb the effects of a trend like ever-rising QB contracts and their effect on overall competitiveness.

The fact that Bledsoe signed his huge deal but the Patriots became a dynasty off of a cheap 6th round QB will be a key indicator in the studies that are yet to be done.

Teams have tended to pay their QB's huge amounts after the first Super Bowl win. The open question is: what would a newly drafted QB, or a QB drafted a year before the big win, have done with all the talent the guy who got the big deal got to play with?

I think the answer is likely to be just about as much as the big deal guy when you look at the situation a year or two down the road and all the talent that had to leave because Flash Gordon got paid.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yes please.

I’ve found myself to be more intrigued with this stuff than the Watson rumors. This could be monstrous for us since we own their 2022 #1. That team will be abysmal without Wilson and could easily be a top 3 pick.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The bears offered 3 1sts, a 3rd, and 2 starters and seattle said no. They aren't moving wilson. might as well close the thread at this point