Runyan praises Eric Mangini as he prepares for a serious contract offer.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Mar 22, 2006.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I have a hunch he doesn't make it to 4. Houston is going to end up taking him.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

The only thing that gives me hope is that the Eagles don't like to pay anybody (except Mcnabb). Time and time again they go into the season millions under the cap.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

For all of the guys and girls that are finding it a hard pill to swallow that we are in a long rebuilding stage (me included) a signing like this give us a little hope that whatever direction this new team is going in, perhaps they see a quicker silver lining.

Not one person would be shocked if the Jets never went after a guy like Runyan. How many would be truly upset if the Jets went after a solid/average tackle knowing that they have 3 years to right this ship.

Why would the Jets go after a guy thats 33 years old..and has perhaps 2-3 nice years ahead of him...to protect Ramsey? Pennington? or Leinart...who would not be ready to take a pounding for a year to two?

I just get the feeling that by next years draft, this ship will be righted and that we will already see decent progress this year.

May shock some with the optimism here...I am just flat out shocked that you have guys like Leinart...Young...and now Runyan who are impressed and want to play for the Jets...the Jets who have a first year coach and a first year GM.

Still very early....but didnt expect one player to desire the Jets going into this season. Perhaps its money for Runyan....but its not money for this higher draft picks...Bush included...who have announced publicly that they would love to be here. If thats not a change of mindset...dont know what is.

4. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Thanks HotRod.

I'm very pro Mario Williams. But the problem is, so are the Saints. If they don't trade the pick away, they will take him for sure.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

the eagles may want to sign runyan but we have more money. I read somewhere the decision will be made today and he is leaning towards the Jets

6. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I think players want to come here because they don't think we are in a long rebuilding stage, as do I. Our D is easily going to be a top 10 this year and if we get the OL problems fix during FA and the draft then we'll be better on that side of the ball. I just have a feeling that one of the Qbs we have will step up and be productive.

7. Martin&theJETS

it will most likely be Ramsey cause penninton is a great guy and was a great QB but he just isnt going to be the same. That video of Ramsey was pretty damn impressive.

8. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

liar:smile:

9. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

quick question... whats the cap status after abe bounced? 18? 19mil?

10. Martin&theJETS

around their i think i am not for sure.

11. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No. LT and RT are completely different. RT is for the run game. LT main responsibility is to protect the QB. Runyan at right, and Brick at LT immediately upgrades the line. Draft a young RT to learn behind Runyan for a few years.

As regards as to Jones being a position of strength, that is an overstatement if I ever heard one. Jones is a serviceable, average LT at best. And for a position that is solely responsible for protecting our young and/or injured QB, average is not good enough IMO.

#51 dabrowsk1, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  12. mudman

mudman New Member

I think it is important to note that we are going hard against the best available Right Tackle. That position becomes incredibly important when you have a LEFTY QB.

I know we dont have one southpaw on the roster.

But there is this kid from USC....

Mud

13. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

Good point mudman, although Runyan's forte is run blocking.

14. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

Houston will take Mario #1 overall? Or trade down?

15. Tenn_JetsFanatic

sign him ... but do not pay him too much

16. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Sign this sooka quick

#56 JetsTillDeath, Mar 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2005
  17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Runyan had to walk out of yesterday with a Jet contract. The fact that he didn't, to me means he's using the Jets.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well, the Jets are his only visit today, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

19. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

the guy made over 4 mil last so I think he is looking for something comparable and I hope we give it to him.

Since we gave Kemo over 3 mill per I don?t see it out of the question to give Runyan over 4 mill plus

20. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

It is definitely a possibility. But I actually think we can afford to overpay by 500k or so. Not more than that.