Running Back performances. Who should get cut?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dinobot 2, Sep 1, 2006.

?

Who to cut?

1. Barlow

25.0%
  2. Washington

12.5%
  3. Houston

14.3%
  4. Blaylock

48.2%
  1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

it depends on if it was a conditional pick or not. I'll look around to all the articles about the trade, then edit this post with the answer

2. alwaysbeenajetsfan

alwaysbeenajetsfan New Member

i believe all 4 stay

3. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Why is everyone so down on Cedric Houston? The guys been very solid every time he steps on the field. I'm a huge fan, he looked great finishing the season last year and he's looked good in preseason this year.

4. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Seems to me they are down on Blaylock the most. As well they should be.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

how could anyone say that we should cut leon washington the mans a rookie and a beast on returns. He had a 87 yarder TD and today one 30 yarder.

I am not going to vote on this because i would think it should be barlow but i dont know what he is like... Not Leon, Mabey Blaylock but he did play quite well consistantly in the preseason, Askew no.

6. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

We all know Barlow will luck out of this because no way in hell we cut this guy after the trade for him. Of course this poll isn't totally based on that....

7. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I think that we can very legitimately keep all 4. I would say that if we had to let one loose right now we'd have to cut Washington, because his main value is as a special teams player and we already have plenty of capable return men (Cotchery, Dwight, Miller and maybe even Poteat.)

That's certainly not saying that I want to see Washington gone, he'd just be the most expendable.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

You guys I don't WANT to cut Leon Washington, I just think he's our worst RUSHER on the team...that's how I casted my vote.

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I don't understand how after a performance against 3rd stringers and "Roster fillers" that Cedric Houston is getting all of these props. He better be able to run on backups, and that alone makes the Barlow trade look bad because he looked good?

I'm sorry, despite his nice performance against soon-to-be cut players, he is still the guy who gets cut to me...Blaylock-Barlow-and Washington, and even Askew who can run are enough backs to carry on a team.

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I see where your coming from about Barlow but since he didn't play tonight, does that mean he's a starter since they didn't play either?

I say keep them all!!!

11. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I agree. His only value is on special teams, and that won't cut it. Not with capable return guys like Miller, Dwight and Blaylock on the team. Potentially, Brad Smith could also be used on returns. Washington has been poor running the ball and horrendous blocking. Everytime he is in, I fear our QB will be killed by a blitzer. Based strictly on RB ability, he's the worst of the bunch.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In the back of my mind I have a feeling Houston will be cut. I really think he deserves the spot and that he has the most potential of any RB on the roster, but I just have a bad feeling...

I pray that I'm wrong...

13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

If we had to cut any, I'd cut Blaylock. He's reached his ceiling, while Houston seems to be just beginning to gain his legs.
    Washington is a playmaker... there is no way he'd be cut, with the lack of playmakers on the team.
    The Barlow pick wasn't conditional, so if we cut him (which we won't) we wouldn't get the pick back.

I think we'll keep all four, but would like it better if we just realeased Blaylock, and saved the roster spot for another position.

14. billo83

billo83 Member

I disagree with this. Special Teams are 1/3 of the game. With Washington and Miller returning kicks, you have a great chance of returing one all the way or a long gainer resulting in excellent field positon every time. This can't be underestimated.

Every year players make the final roster just on their special teams play. It shouldn't matter if they are a RB, CB, WR, or LB. That's why I think he should make the team. Couple in the fact that he's a rookie and a 4th rounder and I think you need to give him a chance. As far as the blocking, this can and will be taught. Lets give the guy a chance and see what he can do in the regular season.

15. billo83

billo83 Member

Don't forget that the guys blocking for Houston are also soon to be cut players and 3rd stringers. Remember too that he ran pretty well last year against starting defenses while behind a terrible line. I think he should make the team.

Askew? When has he ever been able to run the ball? This guys been a bust since day 1. If anyone should be cut it should be one of the FB's and I wouldn't mind seeing him go.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Washington is not as fast as predicted and looks horrible blocking. In a real game his special teams play wouldn't be so special.

Also Houston looked good when no defensive starter were playing but when the real players get on the field his production is cut in half.

Blaylock would be better if he had a real line and we are not cutting Barlow.

In the end we keep them all.

Askew should be cut without a doubt.

17. billo83

billo83 Member

That is true. But I would give Barlow a pass in the Giants game. He just joined the team, doesn't know the offense yet, had very few practices with the team, and if I remember correctly very little rest. I am surprised though that he didn't play any tonight. Even though it was all backups playing you'd figure they'd give him some work.

18. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

If Martin goes on the IR or retires than we should keep them all.
    I think we can hold 4 RBs on the roster, especially since 1 of them (Washington) will play a lot on special teams and I think maybe Houston can play a little FB in a pinch.

19. billo83

billo83 Member

Washington has looked pretty fast returning kicks. Why would his special teams play be any different in the real games? Is the special teams players he's going to face in the regular season going to be significantly better than what's he faced so far? If you said he wouldn't be able to run against starting defenses in the regular season I would definitey agree. But IMO if he has the abilty to return KO's like he has shown, I see no reason he won't do so starting next week.

As far as Houston, I think you need to look at his performance last year against starting defenses while having a terrible OL blocking for him. I think he's decent - not a starter - but a good back up.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can cut Houston. He looked good even if he was playing against 2nd stringers (his blockers weren't starters either). He had some excellent cuts. Barlow will stay because they just used a fourth rounder on him. Leon has displayed excellent ST duty. I think that the FO is also sold that Blaylock can be a contributor as well.

I say the Jets will keep all four as well as Askew and Jamar Martin (he is probably our best blocker). If anyone gets cut I imagine it will be Askew.