RUMOR: Jets offered 12th overall pick in 2021 for Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 15, 2021.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Prove it.

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It was a joke....

But seriously, the original article doesn't even say that the trade proposal was straight up. Just that the Jets turned down the #12 for Darnold.

3. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think it's pretty funny how a twitter feed can turn into a "the sky is falling" situation...Let's look at this logically...JD is a very smart and well respected football man. There's zero chance he would have turned down a 1st round draft choice for Darnold. Think about it...if he knew a team valued Darnold as a 1st round draft choice, especially as high at #12, do you think he would have traded him for much less...I think in these situations we just have to apply some common sense to things. The 49ers are also a very well run org, there's no way they would have offered value way beyond anything other teams were willing offer. I actually terrible about responding to this threat, but there's just zero percent chance this is even remotely true.

cval, Freddy Mondo and Jets79 like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You don't think it's possible for the 9ers to see Sam as their missing piece to winning the ring NOW with a stacked team, and with 4 other teams were also calling JD for the same QB, that the 9ers offered whatever it took to get their FQB? Heck, the 9ers just spent THREE first round picks for the THIRD best college QB.

I'm not saying this offer ever happened, but once a team convinces themselves that so and so QB is the final piece to the puzzle, they'll do almost anything to get him (look up Jets/Favre, Jets/O'Donnell)

5. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

What has JD done except trade J Adams for 2 late 1st to show he is a good GM. Nothing. He selected a good lt at 11. We all could have done that. Mims could become a player , but he caught like 22 passes and no tds . Not much production out of a second rd pick. There are at least 8 w/os I would draft before him in this yrs draft, and expect better rookie yrs. Talent-wise JD has killed this team and we are rebuilding on the project/let's hope they stay healthy players. Robbie Anderson almost never hurt, Leonard Williams the same. The guys JD brought in to replace them ... We will see

#125 Bellys Lies, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty funny that Tweets get posted here at all, especially when they come from some nobody.

7. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I’m 10000% this ain’t real..but if it is, fire Douglas

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is going to be a long 4 years or so for you maybe more if the useless GM lucks into some success.
    :rolleyes:

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s not real.. I bet it was a pick swap like either 23 or 34 plus Sam for 12

10. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Even if the 49ers did not offer the 12th pick in the first for Sam. Sams value was much more or equal to that when JD took control. He did nothing to help him even if he felt Sam was not his qb , it would be easy to showcase him to get a great package for him. Even if JD began this last offseason believing he needed a new QB, why not trade Sam then? He set the guy up to fail, Perriman, gore,. He ruined Sam in NY. If he had retained Robbie, and maybe signed a decent second w/o and a few offensive weapons and gave Sam a chance we would not be where we are today. Our free agent signings are not any better than the players we had when JD took over. I hope I am wrong but I think JD stumbled into causing a 2 win team and is now allowed to rebuild from the ground up, not because of his vision but because he screwed up.We are yr 2 into JDS rebuild and there is not one position that is better than when he took over.

11. K'OB

You do know all of this stuff has been discussed over and over again.

I loved Robby A, but Gase didn't, he then told JD don't overpay that guy, he didn't and he left but even if he did give Robby the contract he wanted, Gase would have continued to fuck him off like the inept piece of shit coach he was.

All the rest of the gumph about stumbling etc is bullshit born out of your bizarre hatred of the first competent GM we have had for ages.

I am not fan boy enough to say he hasn't made mistakes but everything he has done looks as if it has been for this moment in time, short term contracts with easy get outs to Vets, a decent draft, of course, with the use of hindsight it could have been better but still, it was better than anything Mac managed.

Are you serious about this year's FA signings not being any better than what we had? Really? Wow.

The D looks a lot better and whisper it quietly we may have some sack machines on the line for a change, the only thing missing is a good CB, the rest are ready to go out and play, could we have better? I am sure nobody liked Feeney but he will only be backup but he has got two good WR's who are a lot better than what we had and then we have this draft to look forward to, well some of us will look forward to it anyway.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I was about to post something similar so I'll just piggyback off of your post.

@Bellys Lies are you serious that not a single position is better than when JD took over? The only arguments I could see for the 2019 squad would be RB (Bell/Bilal/Montgomery vs Coleman/Adams/Johnson/Perine, and this one is closer to a push IMO) and Safety (Adams/Maye vs Maye/Davis/Joyner). At worst the rest of the position groups are a push and some are substantially better (WR: Robby/Crowder/Demariyus Thomas vs Davis/Mims/Crowder, DL/EDGE: Anderson, Quinnen, McLendon, Jenkins, Leo Williams vs Lawson, Rankins, Quinnen, Fatukasi, Curry). Can you name me one group other than S that we were obviously better at in 2019 than we are now?

Noam and K'OB like this.
  13. K'OB

A fair point on the Safety position, RB is hit and miss due to Bell being shot and Gase making him look more shot than he was, I hope we draft Carter/Gainwell/Hubbard in the 4th or 5th and that will give us a guy for the future imo

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Exactly, say what you will about Jamal but the guy is an All-Pro caliber S. 2019 has 2021 beat there no doubt but the rest are either pushes or 2021 is better IMO and this is before the draft. This would be a great topic to come back and re-asses post-draft to see how our 2019 roster stacks up vs the 2021.

Also, I agree, I could definitely see them going with a RB in the mid/late-rounds. Trey Sermon, depending on how far he falls, would be an interesting option IMO. I think he and Coleman would compliment each other fairly well.

K'OB likes this.
  15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

This can't be true. No GM could be that stupid.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really think his point is that misguided. He punted on the guard, receiver and edge rusher spot last year. He seems to have improved two of the three while punting at guard again with another shitty patchwork player in Feeney. He signed McGovern at center who was half good and half bad. He could've had Conklin (sorry @BroadwaySam - you were right to be upset last year over not signing him) at a reasonable price for an All-Pro tackle and we settled for an ok (I guess) Fant.

The team looks much better on paper. But let's see if Lawson and his 5.5 sacks are worth $15 million. Let's see if Feeney turns into GVR 2.0. Let's see how Davis does and if he stays healthy. Same with Mims.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

On the Safety thing, don't forget the two 1st round picks we've yet to use. Lets see what we get there b4 we bash the trade. Yes, for now it set us back, but lets review this again in 2023. We may very well come out ahead of what Seattle got with Jamal.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Here's the good news... I've bought into the direction we're going so hard that I forgot we whiffed on Conklin. I do like Fant as a fit for this offense but I would have spent the cash on Conklin for sure.

19. K'OB

This is all we have to go on atm, it will all play out in the end, I do not like the Feeney signing, some say this new system will suit him better but I hope he is just back up but it is a positive that we are signing scheme fit players, as obvious as that sounds it hasn't always been the case lol

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes. However, I'm not sure about you but I felt the same way last year. Perriman looked like an easy hot swap for Anderson after Perriman played well at the end of the year with Winston. Anyone seemed like an upgrade over Shell and the two guards. Pierre Desir felt like a quality signing at a reasonable price coming from a good defense.

Just saying - Douglas hasn't been flawless and I think he's held in higher esteem here like he's built something great. The rosters shortcomings of last year felt a bit more easily repairable with a better free agency/roster decisions.

K'OB likes this.