RUMOR: Jets offered 12th overall pick in 2021 for Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If anyone spews any speculation or garbage, sometimes it is impossible to prove 100% it was wrong. But if the report doesn't make any sense like this one (JD wanted to see him throw in person to medically clear his shoulder), let's not proclaim JD as a complete imbecile just yet.

cval and REVISion like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really get this though? He just had his medical examination last week. Did Douglas feel up his shoulder himself? Did they take him in the meeting room and hit it with a small hammer to see if it would break? I'm being facetious but I can't really understand what they thought they'd see in person regarding his "medical" that they couldn't see in live action tape.

cval likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It doesn't make any sense to YOU. In no way does that prove or disprove the report.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What would trouble me - if this report is true, which I doubt - is if Douglas was so concerned about Wilson's shoulder that he wanted to wait for more medical reports before trading Darnold, how does he supposedly have him as his pick at #2? Surely by January he had obtained medical reports on Wilson, and had watched him play and throw on tape, and was impressed with what he saw. IOW: if Wilson's shoulder was this much of a concern, why is he still supposedly the pick at #2?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya I get it. But seeing ZW in person launch 50-60 rockets including that one flick for 50 yrds had to ease his concerns. The last thing JD wanted was to trade away Sam only to have Zack go on IR before throwing his first pass in the NFL. After seeing Z in person, that trade offer from Carolina was too good to pass up, even though the offical meds hadn't happened yet.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’ve totally lost wood

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Nah I don’t buy it.

I think it was a pick swap.

sam + 34 for 12 is my guess

9. Footballgod214

I find it hard to believe that ppl are shocked that a team offered #12 for Sam, and JD turned it down.

First, a single 1st round pick is NOT ENOUGH for a young FQB about to enter his prime years. Heck, JD had just gotten TWO 1st round picks for a box safety. I'm sure he was expecting AT LEAST that much for his young FQB, the single most important player on the team. He probably demanded their 12th AND Bosa. One draft pick, one player in exchange for his young FQB.

So 9ers were weighing 12+bosa versus three 1st round picks to Miami for their own rookie. It was a tough call, but the 2nd option won out.

JD got THIS CLOSE to landing the #12 AND Bosa for Sam.

At least this is how I think it happened ;)

#109 Footballgod214, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You don't trade away a young franchise QB about to enter his prime years. The Jets don't view Sam that way, and neither does the rest of the NFL, since the best offer Douglas could get was a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round pick package for him.

Like I said earlier, the 49ers must not have believed in Darnold either, or they would have waited to trade for him. He clearly costs way less than what they paid for the #3 pick.

I believe in Sam almost as much as you do, but I also understand how bad the 2020 season was. He also has been injured a lot, and clearly lost his confidence last year. I think he can get it back and succeed, but it is a gamble. That is why teams were not willing to trade that much for Sam and why the Jets decided to move on.

REVISion and cval like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Ya, but it really doesn't matter what JD thinks of Sam. JD knows that before another GM picks up the phone, the other GM has already convinced himself that Sam Darnold is the missing piece for their team, or else he never would have called. JD could think Sam is dirt, but if the other GM thinks Sam is the answer, then you go off of that when discussing compensation.

It's kinda like Watson. For the Texans, Watson is worthless b/c he ain't ever playing there again, but the cost to trade for him was HIGH because the Texans knew whoever was trading for him saw Watson as their savior. Same would go for Sam....doesn't matter his value to us, what matters is Sams value is to the team that picked up the phone and called in an offer.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. Where was the rush?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It definitely didn't happen

REVISion likes this.
  14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he never said this

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/08/inside-story-of-why-jets-traded-darnold-new-qb-search

And, also, through that period, the Jets’ trainers were trading medical information with other teams’ trainers. The league’s medical combine is actually this week in Indy, and ideally the Jets would’ve liked to have waited for that too, but they got to the point where there wasn’t a pressing need to.

“Even though the box isn’t fully checked,” Douglas says. “We’ve been able to gather a lot more information.”

Which, ultimately, allowed for the final stages of the trade to materialize.

Footballgod214 and Borat like this.
  16. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

The Jets were never offered this

The angry 49ers want Wilson, will not be getting him, and now are trying to smear the Jets by floating this nonsense to make the Jets appear dumb

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The 49ers were so angry that the Jets are taking Wilson at 2 that they traded up to 3?

18. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

well they needed a plan B. But Wilson is the guy they wanted above all else

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i see nothing here about wilson or his shoulder

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Who else would they be referring to? It seems pretty obvious they're talking about Wilson based on the context.