RUMOR: Jets offered 12th overall pick in 2021 for Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a hypothetical question because he won't know who is there. Trading up on the notion of hoping one player will there without actually knowing is not smart. Trading up and settling for one or the other is equally as dumb. We just experienced that.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, the 49ers completed the trade before he threw one pass or the medical reports on his shoulder had occurred. So that point doesn't hold any weight.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Isn't it safe to say the 9ers know who's going to be available at #3? Most of our coaching staff were members of the organization a few months ago. I just find it impossible to believe the 9ers make the trade without a little wink wink from Saleh or LaFleur.

Leicester Jet and Borat like this.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This is the dumbest thread in a while, and I spend time in the politics section.

There is no way San Fran offered the #12 straight up for Darnold and Douglas didn't take it. It didn't happen.

Some people well believe anything. If there was a deal being discussed it was probably something like #12 for Sam and #23.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If you like all 3 QBs as FQB, why is it not smart? It's only not smart if your evaluation is wrong, like it was for Mac. If you are right and you end up with FQB for next 15 years, you look very smart. And you still didn't answer the question. Right now they are favored to end up with Fields. If they do, is that smart?

As far as second paragraph, the report said that JD wanted to see Zach throw to make sure his shoulder is good (hence he declined #12). Read the report. It makes no sense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

If that part is true, then the organization should re-evaluate their processes when it comes to giving information to other teams. They're competition to their own prosperity as well as the franchises. If they did give the ol' winkeroo that's not good in my eyes.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

KRF better kick some ass in the NFL or JD gonna have some splaning to do!

ouchy likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

LOL

REVISion likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Do you think the 9ers were the only team bidding for the 3 from Miami?

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Idk man, this strikes me as a tad too cagey. Saleh worked with Shanahan for years. LaFleur as well. Both guys largely have Shanahan to thank for the success they've had in their coaching careers. I don't think that goes out the window immediately upon getting a job with a different team in a different division. Sure, Shanahan and LaFleur are team Jets now, but if we're being honest they both still have a far larger emotional connection to Shanahan than anyone with the Jets.

I also don't really see a huge downside for the Jets to having the 9ers know who they're taking. It was sort of an open secret even before the trade.

Borat likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

My mistake, I read the second part wrong and interpreted as if the 49ers made the trade on the basis that they were waiting for Douglas to decide on Wilson, not factoring in the Darnold trade.

No, I don't think it's smart to make a trade up a month before the draft without knowing who will be there. The Jets did it in assuming they knew who was going to be there (Baker was apparently the #1 target) and it backfired. Maybe the 49ers do have three potential targets at quarterback that they were willing to take that 'risk,' even though most of you don't believe it was one.

As a generalization, I don't think most franchises zoom in on three potential franchise quarterbacks that they'd take in the top five. Apparently though, the 49ers have and it appears that it's only two with Lawrence going #1.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Fields?

12. Jonathan_Vilma

He said kid not young man. ;)

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fields has some flags but they are more evident and easier to coach up.

Wilson is going from playing one good season against a D2 schedule to facing the Buffalo Bills and NE Patriots. If we rush him into the lineup he will likely be a deer in the headlights. In fact, there is no evidence to hang our hat on that he will EVER be NFL ready. Against a D1 schedule he didn't perform well. There is no way this kid is worth the second pick. He should be a mid to late rounder.

Inconsistent, unproven, and injury questions are way to many red flags for the price. Wilson is going to be one of the biggest gambles the Jets have ever taken.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

You might be right. I might be jaded because of the way Maccagnan and friends were played like a fiddle every damn year in free agency. It could ultimately be a situation where the Jets had no intention of moving back so it really makes no difference if a non-conference opponent knows what direction they're going with the pick.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The dolphins have indirectly played us like a fiddle this year. Revealing so early that we aren't trading the 2nd pick made both SF and Phily move on trades that helped Miami. Both of these teams wanted our pick. No matter what anyone says, that was a rookie slip by JD.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Devonta could have been ours!

REVISion and ouchy like this.
  17. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

No way it was 12th pick for Darnold. It was probably Darnold + 23 for the 12th pick.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ironically, thanks to those trades, now he is going to be the dolphin's.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That would be absolutely stupid If true.

In no way does that benefit the NYJ and Is an obvious indicator of another moron(s) at the top.

I definitely do not assume that Is a safe assumption because I hope our GM and HC aren't that fucking stupid.

ouchy likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I love how so many want to pick a choose, make up things along the way, to fit their narrative In their head.

It is highly unlikely we will ever know exactly what was.

However.

Nobodycan prove or deny the reports. It's impossible to do as well.

We can speculate and assume. For sure.

..but for those saying there Is absolutely no way. Or there has to be strings attached, etc...

I appreciate your certainty, but, It's impossible to actually be certain. Either way.

If It is ever proved and confirmed though.

We have the wrong guy as GM.