RUMOR- derek anderson (rotoworld)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KBJET, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Tenn_JetsFanatic

no thanks .... he's too inconsistent

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Kellen Clemens>Brett Ratlif>Erik Ainge>Cliff Kingsbury>Derek Anderson.

3. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Hes pretty terrible. I'd give no higher than a 5th, maybe a 4th and we also get back a 6th. Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable with Ratliff.

In any situation, he should be given no edge in the QB competition, he should have to earn his spot with the rest of the guys.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sadly he would be the best option for us at QB. If we can't get a QB in the first round I would have no problem throwing a late round pick for him and hope he pans out.

5. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Does he come with Braylon Edwards? :)

6. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

I actually remember reading a rumor earlier that because of Anderson's contract (lot of guaranteed money down the stretch I believe), they were considering moving them as a package deal to get Anderson off the books. Of course they'd expect high compensation in any deal...

7. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Agreed. Personally, I'd much rather get Quinn out of the two. No chance of that happening so I'd give up a 5th for Anderson.

8. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

no thanks. this is a guy flash in the pan

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Eh...

I think if they can't land a stud QB in the draft, they use Clem or Rat as a stop gap and take one in 2010.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

This guy is a one hit wonder. I'd rather go with what we have, and for half of the pay.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He did win 10 games for the 4-12 Browns the previous yr. And he made the pro bowl a yr ago. He had a bad yr last year. 9 TDs and 8 ints in 9 Starts. His completion percentage was 50 though. Hell, the most accurate passer in NFL history couldn't take us to the AFC Champ game if that what you are concerned about.

He's almost 26, has almost two yrs of experience, and can be decent in a run first offense. He was good when Jamal Lewis gained 1300 yds at 4.4 ypc. He wasn't good enough when Jamal stunk it up with a mind blowing 3.6 ypc.

IMO, Anderson will return to his form of 07 while Thomas Jones/Leon are in charge. Whatever prime he's got, he'll be reaching it in a yr or two. Give him another chance and he'll be fine in a run heavy offense.

12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If the FO were considering signing a vet to compete with the youngsters - this would make sense for a 5th rounder. If Clemens/Ratty can't beat out DA then it's an upgrade. If they were to beat him in TC then I'd prefer to have a guy like him playing back up as opposed to Leftwich or any of the other retreads.

13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. He's just not that good. Hell, the Browns told the Seahawks to just pick a QB between Frye and Anderson. That shows their confidence in him. Then he makes the Pro Bowl, and the following season loses his starting job? Why would a guy like this warrant a 3rd round pick. He's inaccurate, and doesn't really have a strong arm. Not a smart QB either. Where's the plus???? I'd rather give Clemens and Ratliff a shot than waste a 3rd rounder on Anderson.

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

So why would the Browns get rid of him if they just paid him his bonus? Why not keep him for the low salary for a back-up role?

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Maybe not a 3rd actually. The most would be a 4th. 5th would be ideal. We are not giving up a lot of value. If you want a probowl caliber QB, I highly doubt if that comes in for a second day pick. Just look at Cutler.

What if KC and Ratty both fail miserably? Then Ainge comes in and I seriously don't like that scenario. He'll be good for depth and competition. If he beats out the other two in TC, why not?

Mike T can come up with a creative trade where we lose nothing if Derek fails but pays upto a third to the Browns if he picks the league apart. What about that deal?

16. jsf_f35

jsf_f35 New Member

No way, I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him, not even a 7th. If Mangina wants KC for him, I would pull the trigger.

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

The value of going to a pro bowl is overrated. I don't look at Derek Anderson and see a pro bowl QB. I look at him as a guy who just got an opportunity to start, did well, and since has fallen apart, probably because it's not too tough to gameplan against him now that people know what he brings to the table.

I maintain that we should at least give Clemens a shot. He didn't have the o-line the Browns had when got to start. Now he's got an o-line. I'm certainly not saying that Clemens is the QB. Hell, it could be Ratliff. It could be neither! But I don't want the coaches to bring in more competition for these guys. Let them fight it out and give them full confidence.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Uhm . . . it doesn't say "2nd round draft pick", it says "early 2nd day draft pick". (i.e. 4th or 5th round)

For a 4th round pick, I would definately consider it and for a 5th round pick I'd probably do it. He has a few years of experience and he would likely give the youngsters great competition in camp. Having said all of that, I'm not a big Derek Anderson fan. Maybe.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this isn't a rumor, it is some random writers speculation. there is nothing that ties the Jets to this whatsoever.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I am confused about this as well. Also, I had heard on ESPN that it was thought that Mangini has some reservations about Quinn as the franchise quarterback (I, myself, have doubts about Quinn) of the Browns. The basic conclusion of the report was that Anderson was likely to stay in Cleveland and get another shot to compete for the starting job. If that were true, why would they be looking to trade him when his cost against the cap is so minimal next season? It makes no sense.

#40 slimjasi, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009