Roster Turnover for 2017

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AlmostNamedMyDogRevis, Oct 10, 2016.

1. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Assuming the Jets finish the season somewhere around 6-10 and decide to rebuild, who do we keep and who do we get rid of? Fitzpatrick and Revis would be likely goners, while Wilkerson, Powell, and Carpenter seem to be thee only entirely safe players not currently in their first 1-4 years active. I personally think Marshall and Decker will probably stay, Forte too... our offense would be pretty dead without them. I think Mangold and probably Clady will be around too since we don't have much depth in our line, but Giacomini is gone. Defensively, I see Richardson staying unless we get a good trade. Not sure about McLendon, Harris, Henderson, Skrine, Gilchrist, Folk, etc; wondering what everyone thinks about these 15 guys or anyone else we seem likely to get rid of.

twown likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we get rid of Fitz, Revis, Giacomini, Harris and Gilchrist at a minimum. IF ASJ works out, Kellen Davis is gone and possibly Bostick too. McLendon has been pretty solid for us. Henderson's been injured this season, but is good depth and he's cheap. We'd take a cap hit cutting Skrine, and he's been one of the better DBs in our secondary, so he stays. Gilchrist should go, but Bowles likes him, so if Bowles is here, Gilchrist may be too. The Jets may opt to bring back the Duke kicker or another young kicker to challenge Folk, but I expect he'll probably be back barring a collapse during the rest of the season.

They'd get $19,208,333 in cap savings by cutting just Gilchrist, Revis and Harris. They don't need Giacomini. Ijalana & Qvale have been just as good, maybe better than Giacomini so far, and they have Shell, so they won't need him. They may even draft an OT in a higher round. Adding Giacomini to that would give them $23,708,333, less the $5 million they'll have to eat for getting rid of Fitz. Hopefully, with that $18,208,333 they get from those 4, they could sign some younger, good players that can help the team going forward. I'd prefer not to sign any bigger name FAs, unless they're younger and rising stars, and they seldom become available unless there's an attitude or off the field issues. I'd also prefer not to sign any older vets unless they're cheap stopgaps.

Mangold could opt to retire, but hopefully, he'll play for another year, maybe two.

I think what we do with Richardson will depend upon how he plays the rest of the season, what his trade value would be, and what the Jets think of Lawrence Thomas and Julien Obioha. Both showed a lot of promise in TC. If we could get a great pick or picks in return for Richardson, and the Jets that Thomas and/or Obioha can become good players, it might be best to trade him. If Richardson was cut, the Jets would incur any dead money cap hit and would save $8,069,000 on the cap. I can't remember how it would affect the cap if we traded him. I think would just get the cap savings and not be responsible for his salary, but that may depend upon if that is straight salary or some of it is bonus money and when his contract runs out.

Jarvis Jenkins has been pretty good as well, but he would give the Jets $3 million in cap savings if cut ($750k dead money).

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It will be tough to get a lot for Richardson because of his off filed issues. Maybe they aren't major to us but it will keep his asking price down anyway.

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

You may be right, but if he has no off the field issues this year and has a very good season on the field, then that worry may go away. If the Jets continue to play as poorly as they have, however, that will probably drive the price down because it will make Richardson look worse even if he is one of the few who busts his butt every week trying.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think we're locked into one more year of Revis before he can be safely removed from the cap.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight, Ozymandias and MJK like this.
  6. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I might have an unpopular opinion but even with Richardsons stupid off field issues I'd much rather have him here long term then Wilkerson. I really thought it was the wrong move that Mac gave him the big contract. To me Wilkerson seems like hes content being a looser as long as he's getting paid.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

15M to keep him, 6.3M to dump him if it is post June 1st.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I KNOW it will be an unpopular opinion with 101. :D I wouldn't worry too much if others dislike your opinion. I was against re-signing Mo. I thought it was too much money considering that they had Williams and Richardson, but accepted it and even was glad. I've always liked Mo. I'm not sure I agree that he's content being a loser. He's always seemed to go pretty hard to me, but perhaps getting the big pay day changed him, or maybe he's just frustrated with the pitiful excuse for coaching, game plans, play by the secondary and by Fitz.

9. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Skrine stays Revis can eat crow and go to hell ... heck why not give the Carolina cut a try he can't do worse ... the fact that Revis stayed away this Sunday was the last straw for me he is nothing but money hungry and could give a shit about winning no room for him here ... I'm disappointed in Wilkerson but I'm willing to give him another year. Breno is gone, the OL has held its own ... why in the hell can't we ever get the offensive line to play well when we need them instead they show up when everyone else shits the bed !?!?! seems like a typical Jet issue lol maybe we can bring in the guy NE just cut ...

In terms of the QB ... Geno and Fitz won't be here next year which is obvious ... our LB crew has upside so do our young wide receivers ...

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Once we show up on Offense our D line will improve so I'm not much worried about em and for once in my life I can say I'm happy with our punter ... thank you god !!

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I liked your post for the title alone. I've never had an enema, but just reading the title made me feel like I got one. Feels awesome.

12. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Haha :Dyeah I've been lurking around the forms for a while and know how alot of people feel about a lot of things. But honestly it could be any one of those things you mentioned, or is just content cause he got his money. He is also coming off that injury last year. I hope I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat crow if he just starts tearing it up but as of right now he is a complete non factor

13. mitsudriver

mitsudriver Member

Forte not getting cut. Costs $5 million to keep him and $6 million to cut him.

Definitely gonna be some movement though as the Jets are OVER the cap by $1.2 million for next year. Plenty of place for savings but you have to have bodies to fill those holes.

14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I really don't think that much change is needed. This team has all kinds of talent it's just that the CS sucks. They are the ones making this team look so bad. The Jets even at their best are NOT good enough to beat winning teams but they are a good team that should be building. This CS makes this team look like a lottery pick. Fire the CS and you'll see very quickly that a competent HC will get these guys playing like champions.

JetLifeLo and tbruner12 like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would try to keep our WRs and RBs along with our interior offensive linemen. Most of the other guys are expendable.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would keep Clady and Mangold for sure. Both are important going forward especially if we intend on getting hack to play well. Hack was killed behind a putrid o-line at penn state so we have to protect him to ensure he won't get happy feet again. There are a lot of older players and really unless Revis wants to transition to safety on a restructured deal, and he can manage the position well then there's no reason for him to be on this team. Gilchrist has regressed to his charger days. Giacomini won't see the field in a jets uniform again, and David Harris should also probably not be brought back unless he's willing to take a veteran deal for mentor purposes (which I doubt). Skrine is probably the only good member of the secondary so he should stay, and Sheldon Richardson should be signed and traded. We obviously refuse to play him where he should be played and have dropped him into coverage like idiots. Trade him to a team, get some draft pick compensation and be done. 2017 is gonna mark a huge transition for this team. We will be noticeably different in age, and personnel, and I just hope Macc drafts well enough where we can retool seamlessly.

#16 grkmanga31, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some of the suggestions in this thread are asinine. I understand we need to get younger and such, but you can't just go and cut 4-6 starters in a year, regardless if you plan on hopping straight into rebuild mode. It doesn't happen in the NFL like it does in other sports, where teams just go into full-fledged Atlanta Braves mode and clean house while accepting their going to suck for 2-3 years.

It's a win-now league. We will probably see Harris cut as he is overpaid and maybe one other starter. Outside of that they're not going to try to replace as many as six starters next year. It's a crazy proposition, and it's funny because that's exactly what Idzik tried to do, yet he was crucified for it. It's a shame because if he wasn't such a piece of garbage at evaluating and drafting college players, his plan would have most likely aligned us to be very competitive either this year or next year. Unfortunately he was terrible at replenishing the roster through the draft.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The unfortunate reality is many of these starters are truly backup material. Giacomini was awful last year and Qvale and Ijalana are better, Gilchrist is backup material as he has regressed, Revis is not worth his contract and unless he's willing to restructure then why shouldn't he be moved? and Harris is an old LB who cannot cover an RB or TE. We cannot continue to have dead weight players on our team when we can draft or replace them with free agents who may provide more. Replacing a bunch of starters is not ideal, I certainly agree, but really may need to happen given how poorly some of them are playing. Also Idzik did try to do it, but he was shit at doing it. Macc has shown a better eye for talent IMO and I can see a situation where he has to replace 4-6 starters

James Hasty likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles and the DC have to go or this all means little

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Some key roster decision points to be evaluated in offseason:

IF RELEASED:
    Clady: 10M savings (500k dead) depends on rest of season
    Mangold: 9M savings (no dead money) i would keep
    Sheldon: 8M savings (no dead money) possible trade bait
    Marshall: 7.5M savings (no dead money) i would keep
    Revis: 7.3M savings (8M dead) depends on rest of season
    Harris: 6.5M savings (no dead money) might need paycut to retain. if not release
    Decker: 5.75M savings (3M dead) release
    Gilchrist: 5.38M savings (1.25M dead) release
    Breno: 4.5M savings (625k dead) release
    J Jenkins: 3M savings (750k dead) release
    Folk: 3M savings (750k dead) depends on rest of season
    Henderson: 2.75M savings (no dead money) depends on Harris. release if we retain Harris
    ASJ: 1.14M savings (no dead money) depends on rest of season

Key Free Agents: (resigning depends on rest of season)
    Brian Winters
    Marcus Williams
    Ben Ijalana
    Bruce Carter
    Tanner Purdum

Can't release all your starters at once.
    Some difficult decisions ahead. All of these guys are playing for their futures here at this point.

grkmanga31 likes this.