Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think our offense will use more "packages" then an actual depth chart. It'll keep the WRs fresh and put them in better spots to succeed. Only WR i can see actually being the top dog is davis who is likely to be in on every snap unless he needs a breather. The other 4-5 will likely have rotating drives or plays

JackBower, Noam, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Looking at the roster I made a list of the minimum we are likely to keep for each position to see then who is left on the bubble. We might trade a receiver to open a position or trade for a DE or pick up a few players on off of waivers after final cuts. I like how they added an extra week after the final preseason game.

QB (2) Wilson, White

RB (4) Carter, Johnson, Coleman, Perrine

WR (6) Davis, Moore, Crowder, Cole, Mimms, Berrios

TE (3) Kroft, Wesco, Herndon

OL (8) Becton, Fant, Moses, AVR, GVR, McGovern, Feeney, Edoga

DL (8) Q, Futakasi, Huff, JFM, Rankins, Shepherd, Blair, and either Hamlicar, Marshall, Zuniga or Phillips

LB (5) Mosley, Nasrildeen, Sherwood, Cashman, Dawkins

CB (7) Hall, Bless, Guidy, Carter, Hardee, Eichols and either Dunn or Pinnock

SF (3) Maye, Joyner, Neasman

ST (3) Ammendola, Mann and Hennessey

This leaves 4 extra spots which could be used for any of these positions.

1 for TE Griffin or Yeboah

1 or 2 for DL Hamlicar, Marshall, Zuniga or Phillips

1 for OL Murrary, Moore or Levin

1 for Safety JT Hassell

1 for CB Dunn or Pinnock

1 for WR V. Smith

#343 Noam, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

5. Losmeister

6. Losmeister

7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

On Tuesday, August 31 NFL teams will be making their final roster cuts from 80 to 53. There is also a 16 man practice squad that players can join after clearing waivers.

Most fans could care less about this stage of the preseason. If you are a player in the bubble this can be the most exciting time of your life. You will either make the team, get cut, waivered, picked up by another team, or be totally unemployed.

The need for a deep bench will be tested this year with the extra game on the schedule. While the news media and fans are usually interested in what players are in the bubble for the team, very few folks look at what players may be available from other teams? There is a good chance the Jets management may have their eyes on potential Packers or Eagles being available due to the joint practice observations.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets will pick up another CB for example. Maybe the Jets can trade some of the extra talents on the defensive line to address their biggest weaknesses?

In the next couple of days, the final decisions being made for the final roster spots may determine how successful the Jets season will really be. Opponents will always attack your weakest positions, so as they say you are only good as your weakest link.

For example, I would not be surprised that some NY Giant's receivers get picked up due to the fact they have great depth at that position. I am pretty sure Bill Belichick has some in mind already.

Field Goal kickers are usually the biggest positions to be picked by other teams.

#347 Patriot, Aug 29, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

A couple of technical roster questions:
    1. Does J. Davis need to make the 53 man roster before being placed on IR?
    2. Since A. Davis is expected to be back for week 2 I assume he will be taking a roster spot as well.
    3. Looking at the 2 above this would essentially shrink our week 1 roster size to 51? Although I believe immediately after cuts they can IR J. Davis and add a 52nd player?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know player on short-term IR don't count against the 53 man roster, that's why teams always cut a player when an IR player returns. Not sure if that's what you're asking.

One thing I did not notice posted here is they are extending the unlimited IR rule for 2020 and also the 3 week return rule instead of the standard 8 weeks.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...eals-change-to-injured-reserve-rules-in-2021/

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Along similar lines, I'm unclear about the new Practice Squad rules. We can now protect 6 players, but do they need to be released first and subject to the waiver wire period or can just be placed on protected PS?

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This link said we can protect 4 players per week but they must clear waivers first before being put on the PS.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ce-squad-primer-rules-size-eligibility-salary

LAJet likes this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Damn looks like we're cutting Cager:

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would bet he goes to the PS but at best Cager was our 8th best WR. No room for him and J. Smith and likely V. Smith.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I made this post two days ago on another Jets forum.

1.) DJ Montgomery.
    Chuma Edoga.
    Josh Johnson.
    Vyncint Smith.
    Jeff Smith.
    David Moore.
    Grant Hermanns.
    Isaiah Williams.
    Ryan Griffin.
    Daniel Brown.
    Bennett Jackson.
    Elijah Campbell.
    Hamilcar Rashed Jr.
    Lawrence Cager (my favorite one getting cut).
    Milo Eifler.
    Isaiah Dunn.
    Nathan Shepherd.
    Sharrod Neasman
    Del'Shawn Phillips.
    Jeremiah Valoaga.
    Aaron Adeoye.
    Tanzel Smart.
    James Murray.
    Noah Dawkins.
    JT Hassell.
    Corey Levin.
    27.) Mike White.

So far I'm 1/2 because Lawrence Cager has been cut and so has Lamar Jackson (didn't see that one coming).

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes. he has to be on the day 1 roster first then can be added to IR and we can resign a player to take his spot until he comes back

Noam likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm surprised about Lamar Jackson because he was only drafted last year but Lawrence Cager was a 100% guaranteed cut from the beginning (hoping he can sneak onto our practice squad).

Corey Davis.
    Denzel Mims.
    Elijah Moore.
    Jamison Crowder.
    Keelan Cole.

Those are the guaranteed 5.

I also think both Smith's get the Ax in favor of Braxton Berrios.

Because not only was Braxton Berrios our 2nd most productive receiver last year (behind only Jamison Crowder) but he's an electric return man too as a PR with KR ability as well. Once into open space, Braxton Berrios is dangerous and imo an excellent 6th WR for added depth (behind Elijah/Crowder in the slot).

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't know and did not see it in the article. My recall from last year which may be incorrect was there were limitations as to how many times a player can be promoted from the PS to the active roster during the year and I saw no mention of that in those rules in the link I posted. But, It did not appear to be very comprehensive. Work has unfortunately been getting in the way of my internet reading today. Which is one of the many reasons I love all the tweet posts by KY Jets and Falco. I can just work whike refreshing their thread and get all my daily Jets info. The work those two do posting tweets is wonderful.

19. NCJetsfan

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...alaries-rules-2021/1wt851t0mlm9c1amafmqrx6dll

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...2021-deadline-rules/t4agmpiuyveo11wc540pj2knw

The following is a compilation of two articles

NFL practice squad salaries: Minimum salary, rules & more to know for 2021
    WRITTEN BYJACOB CAMENKER

It's that time of the year again. Teams across the NFL have been working hard to trim their roster from 90 to 53 over the course of a couple of weeks, and that means roughly 1,184 players will be looking for work.

As disappointing as it is to be cut, it's often not the end of the line. Each NFL team carries with it a practice squad of players that aren't on the active roster but still train, prepare and, yes, practice with the 53-man roster. These units provide key depth for teams and allow young players to hone their crafts working with NFL teams.

The rules surrounding the practice squad used to be complex, but in recent seasons, the NFL has relaxed them a bit to create more opportunities for a wider variety of players. The primary goal of these units is still to develop young talent, but the league has made room for veterans under its relatively new system.

What are the practice squad rules for 2021? And who is eligible to be on one? Here's everything you need to know about practice squads as NFL teams get ready to form them once again.

How many players can be on an NFL practice squad?
    For the second consecutive year, NFL teams will be allowed to carry 16 players on their practice squads in 2021. Previously, practice squad sizes had been limited to just 10 players. Initially, the league planned a practice squad expansion to 12 players in 2020 (with a second expansion to 14 coming in 2022), but they increased the allotment because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 16-player practice squad provided teams with roster flexibility and an opportunity to keep more players familiar with the system. That proved crucial during the COVID-impacted campaign, and as such, the league kept practice squad sizes at 16 for 2021.

Who is eligible for an NFL practice squad?
    There are a few practice-squad rules related to service time.

Players on NFL practice squads usually fall into the following categories. They are:

• Players who do not have an accrued season of NFL experience (rookies)
    • Players who were on the active list for fewer than nine regular-season games during their only accrued season(s)
    NFL teams have no limit on the amount of these players that can be on the practice squad. However, teams are also allowed to keep a handful of slightly more experienced players around. These rules were added recently to allow teams to keep some veteran talent and depth around outside of the active roster.

There are, however, limited on those players, which are as follows:

• Up to four players per team who have earned no more than two accrued seasons (no game limitations)
    • Up to six players per team with no limitations as to their number of earned accrued seasons
    That's why some recognizable players, like Josh McCown and Theo Riddick, have spent time on practice squads in recent seasons. Teams now have the flexibility needed to keep them around without using active roster spots.

Can practice squad players play in games?
    Only two practice squad players will be eligible to play in NFL games on a weekly basis. NFL teams are allowed to promote two players to the active roster for game days to expand the gameday roster to 55. This can occur any time before the official actives/inactives list is released 90 minutes before the game.

However, the other 14 players will not be on the active roster and, as a result, will not be able to play. And NFL teams aren't obligated to promote players from the practice squad either, so they can opt to keep their gameday rosters at 53. Only 48 players are active for NFL games.

Can practice squad players sign with other teams?
    Practice squad players are eligible to sign with other NFL teams but only if they are signed to another team's 53-man roster. There are no practice squad to practice squad transactions.

NFL teams can also sign their own practice squad players to their 53-man roster. They just have to open up a roster spot to do so.

NFL practice squad rules
    Additionally, teams are allowed to promote two players from their practice squad to create a 55-man roster on game days. These call-ups can occur as late as 90 minutes before the game — when the official inactives list is posted. After the game, the player reverts back to the practice squad.

Practice squad players cannot sign a contract with another team's practice squad. If they sign elsewhere, they must receive a promotion to the 53-man roster of the team that signed them.

Practice squad players are free to sign with another team's 53-man roster at any time with one exception; teams are allowed to protect up to four players per week on their practice. Protected players cannot sign elsewhere.

20. NCJetsfan

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

The following was prior to changes made for Covid.

PRACTICE SQUADS
    Roster size: The practice squad consists of 12 players in 2021, before increasing to 14 players beginning in 2022.

Eligibility: Players with no accrued seasons and those with fewer than nine regular-season games in their lone accrued season are eligible for the practice squad. Teams can also have a maximum of four players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons. The new CBA also allows for two players with unlimited accrued seasons on the practice squad; this number increases to four players beginning in 2022.

Standard elevation addendum: Now included in all practice squad contracts, the standard elevation addendum allows teams to move a player from the practice squad to the active/inactive list for one week and then back to the practice squad without subjecting him to waivers. Under this addendum, a player reverts back to his team's practice squad on the first business day after the game in which he is elevated. These players receive the applicable minimum salary for a player with his number of credited seasons (prorated for one week of regular season pay or the applicable postseason amount). This clause can be used by a team for a maximum of two regular-season or postseason games per player per season. If the team elevates a player for a third time and the team wishes to move him back to the practice squad, it has to waive or terminate his player contract. If a player is released or clears waivers (whichever is applicable) and he signs a practice squad contract with a new team, he is once again eligible to be elevated for the aforementioned maximum of two games.

Follow Anthony Holzman-Escareno on Twitter @FrontOfficeNFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.