Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Three-RB formations (Bell, Montgomery, Powell) = innovative!!!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

They likely feel that, if necessary, they could slot some of their RBs into WRs, specifically Montgomery, but also maybe powell and cannon.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We are going to waste Darnold playing catch up with all of these busts.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not sure where to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread. Has Douglas started cleaning house with the scouting department yet? The Jets are last in the number of players drafted and retained, and this isn't just a one year trend. GMs get the headlines - as they should - for poor talent acquisition, but why has our scouting department been consistently poor in finding and evaluating players? I sure hope Douglas fixes this because it's at the root of Jets failure for years.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Vikes just traded a 5th round pick to the Ravens for Vedvik - and now we get him for free. If he doesn't work out at least we didn't waste a 5th rounder. (Maybe we could trade him to the Texans for a 3rd rounder.) :)

Our roster is filling up with former Ravens.

#105 ouchy, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have read that the Jets scouts are well regarded but up until recently the budget for the scouting dept has been on the low end of the NFL spectrum. I am hoping with the hiring of Douglas that he demanded a bigger budget for scouts. It would be unlikely, that he would have taken the job otherwise.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Does Berrios return punts? If not, who will do that?

I'm not ready to call the moves stupid. Until Douglas proves that he isn't worthy of my trust, I will trust his judgment. Dortch and Burnett could still be signed to the PS, as Holmes doesn't count, so there are only 6 of 10 on the PS at the moment.

#107 NCJetsfan, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  8. NCJetsfan

I don't know if it's a matter of the Jets' scouts not being very good or if our GMs guided them in the wrong direction of what they were looking for, or thought they were smarter than the scouts and just ignored them.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The board is going to love the hidden production

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think Berrios on punt returns and 3rd downs could have some decent production. I watched a lot of him with the Hurricanes season before he was drafted and i think he can be a good option in the slot. May not get too much playing time this season but think he definitely has potential

matt robinson 17, CBG and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

they could sign jack klugman, who was quincy, m.e.

oh wait, he passed on.......just like most of the jets draft picks under idzik and mac..:rolleyes:

fdcnyc, egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Especially since it was widely reported that before signing on he demanded an expanded scouting dept

Noam likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Generous of you to reserve judgement while having no idea of who Berrios is to begin with.

As their primary punt returner Barrios averaged 15.9 yds. per return for the Univ. of Miami (that's a school in Coral Gables).

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

In the preseason with the Cheetahs he returned 5 punts for 46 yards (9.2 avg). In comparison Dortch had 8 for 85 yards (9.44 avg).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I know it was reported that he wanted money to hire top level assistants but I have not seen details as to what else he got. I have seen assumptions that money not only went to the top end but will go to help expand the number of scouts and pay them better but I have not seen confirmation of that. Which should be a pretty good assumption . I have also read where in the last year of Mac he got Johnson to give him more money for scouts. The Hiring of Douglas with a 6 year contract seems to be recognition by Johnson that he cannot keep short changing the scouting department and that he needs to run an operation more in line with the rest of the league.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I wasn't comparing Dortch-Barrios so much as I was replying to someone who "generously" announced that he would hold off on calling the move 'stupid' (while not even knowing who Barrios was or whether he was a punt returner or not, i.e. very 'generous' of him to withhold judgement). As for the football side of it, yes Dortch is a good punt returner but Barrios also provides 'slot insurance' behind Jamison Crowder. Gase likes his slot receivers and knows Barrios from 'the U' while he was down in Miami as well.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the receivers on our roster, I even like the potential of someone like Berrios but it scares the shit out of me that Gase has no problems whatsoever rolling out an offense without a receiver that can go up and get it.

Every single quarterback let alone a young quarterback can benefit from having a guy that allows the quarterback to chuck and pray. We really don’t have that guy unless Robby Anderson has a one on one match up and already has a step on the defender 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Nicks and Plax made Eli look better than he was and that’s no easy feat.

Gase seems to be fine with it and that worries me. He’s basically re-creating what he had in Miami last year. A deep threat, a possession guy and a shifty slot guy.

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Mac did increase the number of scouts but can't remember when he did it. Gase also got rid of a couple after Mac got the push (perhaps the guys responsible for Polite) I seem to recall. If the Jets still have lower scouting resources than most of the NFL then it just makes you wonder how small the scouting operation was previously.

19. NCJetsfan

Enunwa can't go up and get it? Herndon can't?

FJF likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

All I have to say is I have no knowledge or feeling for Joe D's waiver pick ups for us

But the last time I saw Douglas on TV he was sitting high up in the Coaches booth checking out players at Pre season with a pair of binoculars . Contrast that with Big Mac standing around holding his Starbucks! Lmao

There's a different culture here now and it's all Business

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.