Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Jun 18, 2006.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I had a dream that Chad got hurt in like 3-4 places.

Then he was out for half the season.

So I can only assume it's fate for KC. Heeh.

2. NYJalltheway

Buttleman, you're exactly right. We should get Clemens his playing time as much as possible because obviously we're not a playoff team muchless a superbowl team.

So in the end, it's probably actually a better idea to get Clemens rollin early so he has a year under his belt.

However at the same time I think Chad can come back and be a pro-bowl QB and lead us to the promise land next year or afterwords.

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Maybe I need to re-think my position now...:sad: :lol:

4. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

I really don't think they would throw Clemens into the game as a rookie even if he outperfroms the other Qb's. He may have "it" but I personally think he will need time to absorb the playbook and observe how an NFL offense is executed. I would not want to see him out there his first year and struggle with miscues and possibly shell shock him.

#64 Bricket-head, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My opinion is you have sugar plums running around in your head with this post

6. NYJalltheway

you make a real good point, but there's that thought of..."well, we're not going to the playoffs anyways..."

7. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

I probably wouldn't be opposed to Clemens maybe starting a few games at the end of the season IF we are having a terrible season. I'm a bit paranoid having a rookie center, tackle, and quarterback on our starting lineup.

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

my main point was

that would spell disaster, especially for someone who isnt open to the media.(mangini) he would just be blasted and ripped apart until woody believed he made a mistake.

first off mangini isnt an offensive guy, let alone some great qb molder. he was a defensive position coach who was lucky to be on staff when Mo Lewis created tom brady's career.

maybe if mangini were even considered an offensive minded coach, let alone a PROVEN HC.

im saying this in the interest of mangini staying HC of the NYJ. starting Clemens would be russian roulette for his career. thats all im saying.

9. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I understand the other point of view but if Clemens shows in TC that he is far and away the superior QB on the roster then I would have no problem if Mangini starts him right away.
    I do think that Clemens will get some starts towards the end of the year unless Penny is somehow healed and is leading the team towards the playoffs.
    I just believe that any playing time that Clemens gets this year will only help him next year.

#69 ButtleMan, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2005
  10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i easily agree with that, i just dont like the idea of trying to put a franchise on a rookies shoulders especially with a rookie OC and HC.

now if he starts 4 games this yr that will be great, cuz he does need legit experience if he is to take over next yr or whenever it be fit.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

clemens may see some playing time.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

huh???so clemens starts the year and gets 16 quality starts under his belt...and then chad comes back and takes us to a superbowl?????and then chad retires and clemens picks up where he left off?

13. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

There are two ways to do this, either bring the guy along slowly, maybe have Chad start for half a season and then let Clemens in to make mistakes, or do the Peyton Manning method and throw him into the fire right away and let him play the entire season. If you can ignore the NY Media completely then you can do the Peyton Manning method.

I personally think we should let Chad try first unless it's completely obvious he's done. Ramsey, even though I had wanted him to do well, sounds like he's never going to be anything more than a not very good backup. Penny is probably gone by next year anyway, and our O-line needs time to gel, so let's make Penny prove himself and earn his paycheck. Then Clemens comes in at midseason with a solid O-line, lesser expectations, and maybe, if we're lucky, a chance to get us to .500.

14. NYJalltheway

no, i was talking about 2 seperate possibilities

15. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Why champ....Jaws claims hes the real deal...if your going to quote people about Vilma...everyone around here can just run quotes about other players..and if the shoe fits for you..you wear it..for others...its too tight.

What did you think about the coaching staff the last five years? Did you like Herm Edwards...did you like his system..did you like his preperation...did you like his gameday decisions...no..you hated them...just like many of us.

As far as Im concerned..the Jets will have 50+ rookies on this team going in to this year. Vilma made the probowl (stop with the nonsense about him not being voted..it sounds so petty and childish) with a head coach that was outcoached 90% of the time.

If EM turns out to be just a good coach..not a great coach..but a good one..players like Vilma...Ellis etc will shine even brighter then they have in the past.

All you have to do is look around at some of the players that have won superbowls and then gone to other teams signing big contracts...and they have come up empty.

Every player gets a new start as far as Im concerned...and with our feelings being mutual about the past regime...you should feel the same way.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that happens with every post for him.

17. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I remember when champ quoted Herm saying Vilma was just an okay player. Champ is a hypocrite. He blasts Herm 24/7 and says everything is garbage. Then Herm says something he likes and he agrees, champ only sees things his way and uses players coaches to his advantage. I dont like Herm either however I dont use him to bash a certain player when I bask everything else Herm says.

18. Slobberknocker

Slobberknocker New Member

If you remember back to when you (cough cough) traded for Ramsey, you'll recall that I warned y'all about the Tulane Turnover Torpedo.

I wish the guy well, I truly do. He's a class act and trying hard. But he's got a 1,000,000 dollar arm and .50 cent decision-making ability, especially under pressure...

#78 Slobberknocker, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
  19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

See your problem is that you are total denial when it comes to FACTs. All I was doing is reporting what Herm said. If you did not like it take it with Herm C/O the KCCs

20. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Well you blast everything else Herm says and the only time you stuck with him was there. Bulls**t. You interpret everything the way you want to see it. Same way with Vilma in the pro-bowl. Vilma is the best young MLB in the league.