Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Jun 18, 2006.

1. parafly

parafly New Member

Everyone seems to be overreacting here in regards to Clemens. Sure, he has "it," but that does not mean he's starting the season in the least bit. The only reason a rookie ever starts in the NFL from day 1 is because there is no other starting calibur QB on the roster. With veterans like Chad, Ramsey, and Bollinger on the roster, it would be a HUGE rookie head coaching mistake to put in a rookie over these guys. There is just no way a rookie QB can transition from college to the NFL overnight.

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Your posting doesnt make any sense.

1. I dont have to recheck those stats. He was in the low 3.X range and thats amazing for a MLB with 170+ tackles. Stop making him look like a horrible MLB with your fake stats.

2. What the hell has height to do with what we're talking about? We have 5'11 and even 5'10 MLBs that dominate in this league as well as 6'3 and 6'4 LB's. Then you have the average sized guys like Ray Lewis and Vilma in the 6'1 range. We have 220 lbs LB that dominate as well as 260lbs LB. And now you tell me again Vilma is still too small...

btw you think Vilma is weak? Vilma is as strong as Shawne Merriman if you look at the numbers. Check their combine results. But im sure Merriman is also what you call "weak".

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

People forget, or maybe didn't realize that Vilma was fighting off blocks in 2005. Remember when Reed and Vilma had that fist fight? That was because Reed wasn't occuppying both the center a guard as the slant nose tackle in Edwards' defense is supposed to do. Reed was penetrating like a 3T instead.

They also said Zach Thomas was too small to play ILB in a 3-4.... how did that turn out last year? Vilma is the least of my concerns on D.

4. BIG TYMER

BIG TYMER Banned

Vilma just made the pro-bowl last year. So, what the hell are you babbling about?

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Only cause Zach backed out. So what are you babbling about?

6. parafly

parafly New Member

Why are you even a Jets fan if you are just going to put our best players down all the time? Is there even one player, coach, individual on the Jets that you do like?

7. championjets69

IMHO JV is just to small & not strong enough to play MLB plain & simple. If you read the Star Ledger article he himself is confirming that.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I am beginning to think Vilma is a mirror image of Zack Thomas. Aside from the obvious dissimilarities.

#28 abyzmul, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  9. championjets69

Graham for one. All I am pointing out is that IMHO we do not have the quality of player's at this time to make the SB. That means players have to be upgraded no matter if you like them or not for us to reach the elite of the NFL. Otherwise we will just be on the not winning the SB merry-go-round year after year after year. If you like that fine otherwise you have to begin analyzing the players we have to determine if they are worthy to be on our roster. You have to look at the team with your head & not heart

10. parafly

parafly New Member

Alright, one player!!! I guess that's a start...

Well, IMHO you don't need #1 overall all-stars at every single postition to win a Superbowl. Much of that comes down to coaching, offensive and defensive schemes, chemistry, and luck. Your attitude of "if he's not the best at his postision in the NFL, then he shouldn't be on the team" is ridiculous. That's not how Superbowls are won. And being that you're a long time football fan, you should know that better than anybody.

11. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Champy...

Is it just me or do you just flat out hate our best player on the Jets? He's one of the very few 1st round picks who have been wonderful as a Jet. Rookie of the year, Pro-Bowler, in just his 1st two seasons...

Yet. You always say he should be traded, you have to find a knock on him no matter what...Which I laugh at...Soon to be face of the franchise soon(Martin, borderline Pennington) you just have something against him...For whatever reason.

12. DaBallhawk

Stop talking bullshit already. He never said he's not strong/big enough to play MLB. In case you missed it: we have a lot of sub 6 feet MLBs in the league that dominate.

And again: he's stronger/as strong as Shawne Merriman who plays DE on some downs and weighs 270+ pounds. Yet you think Vilma is "not strong enough to play MLB"? Doesnt make any sense. Sorry.

13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yes I really hope that Smith can make that transition well too. Did he play any WR in college at all, because most former QBs who go to WR in the NFL played WR far at least a couple seasons in college, and didn't just make the switch at the pro level. Like Randle El for example. I don't see Smith breaking into the top 4 WRs on the roster this season, he will still need to learn techniques because even if he learns to run great routes and stuff, all the little things like stacking the DB and using the body to block out defenders without getting PI calls will have to be developed. I do hope he could be used for some trick plays like the Steelers did because if he was good enough to start at QB in college he has to have an arm of some sort.

As for Vilma, that bothers me quite a bit. He is one of the best LBs in the league right now in my opinion, but he will not be able to show that talent if he constantly has to fight off blocks. He will not be able to get off his blocks every time, so sometimes he'll be blocked, then that's one less guy that will be there to make the play. I think that the 3-4 will seriously limit Vilma's use of his talent, and will diminish his ability to make plays. We saw it the last 3 weeks of last season when Reed was so awful and him and Jon got into it on the sideline. I don't see anything changing this season, especially if D-Rob is the NT which he most likely will be. Maybe the 3-4 will allow us to use more blitzes and potentially disrupt the plays before Jon is blocked.....

14. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I caught a bit of ridicule right after the draft for saying Clemens could be the man before long. The current staff owes no player the benefit of a doubt for what he did before. Anybody who has seen 5 years of Herm playing favorites ought to appreciate that. This coach is more from the Parcells mode: BP, whom is quoted as saying "You practice how you play" for players like Hugh Douglas, who got tossed for a lack of effort in practice. If Clemens looks better than the other guys in practice all the way through, I believe he will be given the shot to start early on. That's not a prediction, I'm just saying I think it will happen if Clemens keeps this up, his being a rookie notwithstanding.

15. MattMan

MattMan New Member

you guys don;t understand that fighting with champ is just wasting your time. he'll go on and on and make himself look like an idiot, but you can't win. he doesn't give up

16. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

How did you come up with Vilma being stronger than Shawne Merriman?

17. DaBallhawk

I said it already but I was talking about weight room strength and compared their combine results.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This comment and criticism of Vilma is just inane. In two seasons he was, first, NFL defensive rookie of the year and last year was the Jets MVP. The only reason he hasn't made the Pro Bowl is that rookies rarely make it and neither do players from 4-12 teams.

Is there any Jet player since 1968 that you think is worthy of playing in the NFL???????????

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Technically, he has made the Pro-Bowl...

He was the alternate when Zach Thomas did not go...

20. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Champ is just pissed because he said Vilma wouldn't be a good player when we drafted him (originally Champ said that Larry Coker's quote was that Vilma would not be a good NFL player, but once everyone knew he was lying, he "changed" the quote), and he has turned into one of the best LBs in the league. So his usual negativity is just about doubled concerning Vilma.