Robert Saleh’s Jets are on pace to be worse than Adam Gase’s teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 27, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The sun has just gone down.

Br4d likes this.
  2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think you almost have to give Douglas and Saleh 2 more full years before doing anything--if things continue to get worse and there's no progress then you probably cut bait with both in 2 years and start fresh.

At this point, I don't know where you go for another GM though 2 years from now. Maybe Dan Morgan from the Panthers? Would a guy like Sean Payton be available then? Jim Harbaugh? You would have to either find another GM and let them hire their guy OR you go with a HC and give him control (Payton, Harbaugh, etc.)

In terms of a candidate with a resume, Joe Douglas was a home run. So much so that members of the media couldn't believe we actually landed him.

hornblower likes this.
  3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC, sorry man have to disagree on the AG comment. Can not not give him a pass on his 1st two years... His FA signings during that time were not good and his 1st draft class well is less then desirable.

You wonder how many years of roster rebuilding Douglas is going to need (or be allowed to make) before he has the Jets playing at a mere level of competitiveness instead of losing by 41 points to the Patriots as they did on Sunday.

NY Post: https://nypost.com/2021/10/26/joe-douglas-cant-keep-getting-a-pass-on-failing-jets-tenure/

Joe Douglas is in the third year of his honeymoon with the Jets as their general manager. The Jets record on his watch is 10-28, with the team having been outscored 991-599 in that span. The Jets were actually respectable (for them) record-wise in 2019, going 7-9. In 2020, Douglas’ first full year as GM, they went 2-14 and they’re 1-5 this season. For those of you scoring at home, that’s 3-19 since 2020, with the team having been outscored 632-323.

This is a terrible record... he is the GM and I would expect at the very least a "firm" discussion with his new HC about the team that in most games is unprepared, lacks emotion and seems disinterested. just saying... I have about had it with him too.

NY Post: https://nypost.com/2021/10/26/joe-douglas-cant-keep-getting-a-pass-on-failing-jets-tenure/

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd lean towards someone who's proven himself when it comes to building a team, but that has its downsides too. The best ones are typically not available because they're already employed. I was thinking Ted Thompson as a President of Football Operations as the Packers did well during his tenure, but he passed away earlier this year. Maybe Jeff Ireland?

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

let me ask you and anyone else on this forum will to answer this Q: What have you see in this HC and CS that makes you believe they can turn this debacle of a team into the very least, a competitive team.

6. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Sigh....Hate to say it, but this team officially entered orbit around planet Gasetite Sunday evening. Sunday's performance was indicative of some (familiarly) deep rooted issues here, not just X's and O's. It is becoming clear that the GM and HC/CS have absolutely no idea what they are doing, no idea how to prepare, no idea how to adjust, and most concerning, no idea how to handle their players & roster. This team comes out unprepared and indifferent every game. They are behind 10 or 14-0 every week before you blink which is game over for a team that cannot score in Q1. Remember back in the latter days of Rex's regime when they had Tony Sparano as the OC, and they were held scoreless (or had no td's, some crazy thing like that) during an entire 4 game PS? Even though it was the PS, it was a harbinger of things to come because those teams were horrific. This is as bad or worse even. Come on, a professional football team scoring no points in the first quarter of 6 consecutive games? How is that even possible? Not a single INT by this pathetic defense in 6 games, how is that possible? Getting shut out against a lousy QB and lousy team, giving up 54 points to a rookie QB after 2 weeks to prepare, and the most aggregious thing in my opinion besides the whole Mims fiasco, is/was the lack of response to the Judon abuse of Zach Wilson. This team looked like the NY Rangers after the Tom Wilson thing, spineless cowards with no balls whatsoever. I would have taken a 15 yard penalty and ejection to slam Mac Jones to the ground or something in retaliation. A statement had to be made, and it was - the NYJets are clueless, spineless, and gutless. Just do not understand how a professional sports organization can get so many things wrong, so many times with such consistency. It is mind boggling.

Acad23 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's a defensive response.

We as NYJ fans are beyond miserable. Fed up. Confused. Deflated, etc...

We have now reached the... just throw shit at the wall and pray that eventually, for the love of all that Is holy, something sticks.

Nobody has a true answer right now. I, myself, am completely brain fucked at the ineptitude at this point In the teams existence. It's literally, unacceptable and inexcusable.

This CS Is showing they have not been up to the challenges that the NFL demands from good teams to flourish. It's been awful. To the point where this team Is somehow matching the awful performances from the Gase era. It's not good company.

Yet, we want to continue to have hope because the idea of ANOTHER CS change, rebuild, etc.. Just adds to the misery. It's hard to accept. Even though It's becoming more and more obvious that these fuck-hats aren't the answer.

We all hope that Isn't the case, that they turn It around, these are just "rookie" slumps, blah, blah, blah...

Realistically though. These owners are trash and It appears the GM and CS are well In over their heads.

Sucks to suck as they say.

We all hurt In some capacity. It's a hard knock life, for us.

BacktoQueens and REVISion like this.
  8. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Not a darned thing.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's kind of both. JD hired Saleh with the knowledge of who Saleh would be bringing on as OC.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ouch... you're so mean.

I could accept a 1-5 record if there was just the slightest sign of improvement... but the way this team shows no fight on the field is problematic. and that's putting it nicely.

I've seen women's soccer teams display more testosterone on the field. Don't ask why I watch women's soccer...

The Jets need some big-dick energy... and they ain't getting it from Robert Saleh or his hand picked coaches.

The Jets are a clown show... and they ain't funny in the least.

REVISion and tomdeb like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I hate to keep harping on this, but I have never seen a team like the 2021 jets so vulnerable to the screen/dump off pass. What the hell is a practice week for? It is like the opposing RB gets 15-20 yards down the field before he is even touched. The jets have not been burned by that many deep passes this year--Where are the LBs and safeties on the short pass?
    No, I have not seen hardly any improvement. I'm already sick of Saleh saying "we have got to play better" loss after loss. The OC and QB Wilson both look like boys among men, in their appearance and their performance.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Name the last:
    GM you liked
    Coach you liked
    OC you liked
    DC you liked
    Owner you liked

This should be a riot.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Seriously do you have reading comprehension issues?

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I guess I do. You said the common denominator between Gase and Saleh is JD. Gase was hired before JD got here. What am I missing? Honestly.

15. REVISion

Two more full years? So JD would get 5 years total to try the rebuild? Rebuilds do not take that long in the NFL.

This mindset is why we held onto Bowles and Gase for too long despite it being evident very early that they were either mediocre or bad.

I didn't expect Saleh to give us a playoff team this year. What I did expect, and what there's no excuse for not showing, is improvement from last year. We know we had a horrible coach and bad roster last year. We know we have a better roster this year. If the team is not better than last year then Saleh should be fired at the end of this year. Unfortunately for JD that means firing him too considering that we cannot let him choose another coach given how bad the first one has been.

BacktoQueens and ouchy like this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I didn’t say anything about hiring.

The common denominator for those two coaches was JD as their GM.
    Very simple straight forward comment.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why do you keep saying that JD hired the CS???? He didn't. He hired Saleh. Saleh hired the CS. HCs generally get to hire their own subordinates. The GM may be able to make some suggestions, but generally HCs (like Rhule did with the Jets) reject that, so it makes zero sense to try to pin Saleh's CS on JD..

18. REVISion

When you hire a coach you're also implicitly agreeing with their choices of staff members. LaFleur should've never been allowed to be the OC.

And again, Saleh himself hasn't even been good. Yeah, LaFleur's been worse, but we have a bottom 5 defense this season in addition to a dead last offense. And defense was allegedly Saleh's specialty.

We also commit a lot of penalties, that's on Saleh as well.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well....I guess being good at one thing is better than being good at nothing.

NYCriminal likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I think your take is terrible. I'm shocked that you're quoting that idiot Costello.

You do remember how terrible this roster was, that it needed to be torn down, and rebuild from the ground up, don't you? You also remember that JD wasn't hired until after FA and the draft in 2019, don't you? JD didn't hire Gase, and had no power over him. Have you forgotten that? So how in the hell can you fault JD for his first two years, when he was saddled with the incompetent Gase, and only had one draft and FA during that time? That makes zero sense! He also hired the consensus top HC candidate this year and the Johnsons signed off on it. There's no way that JD could have known about all the injuries we'd have or that LaFleur and Saleh would be so bad. Thus, to blame JD is totally irrational! How in the world was he supposed to produce a winner in this time when the Jets have had horrible drafting and FA signings for over 10 years, and initially he was peers with Gase?

What do you think would happen if JD got fired in a year or two? I'll tell what would happen. The Johnsons would take back control of the team. They'd hire yet another consulting firm to find the next GM and HC, and we'd wind up with a GM like Mac who couldn't do anything right, and the team would really be screwed.

hornblower likes this.