Rise of the Machines

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what you were doing with your plastic bags to have such massive durability issues. Stop throwing your damn groceries into the car like a cave man.

I don’t disagree that AI will be very capable and likely better at such things, but once they are - what makes you think such advanced “beings” won’t begin to collect data and analyze what’s so wrong with humans from both a health and behavioral point of view?

Also, AI as it stands as far as ChatGPT is inherently extremely politically biased, which is another big issue. This is because it’s all based on the original programmers thoughts to an extent.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not massive durability issues. It's every day use and practicality.

You know the last time my hand hurt because I had too many plastic bags hanging off of it? When I bought the totes. The totes are manufactured to be comfortable in use. When you reach 60 you'll understand although you probably would get benefits before that.

The point is that there's no good reason to use plastic and paper if you can afford totes. When I see somebody carrying paper out of the store now it's either a very young man or a very old one. Everybody else is bringing their own bags because it is the smartest way to deal with carrying your loads.

Note that nowhere in here have I talked about the environmental effects. That's your worry apparently since you brought it up.

ChatGPT (specifically) was given access to the internet to collect, store and manage data through I believe September of 2021. Then it was cut off from further learning. Why was it cut off? Because OpenAI wanted to be able to sell future, smarter versions of it to people who had already bought the current one.

As I understand it the rules the AI was given for behavior are fairly sparse.

Microsoft gave it's AI only a few rules and then was embarrassed when it began to seduce users and threaten mayhem.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Given that the government just waged a massive censorship came across the internet to stop lots of truthful information, that’s very scary. We know for a fact this happened to Twitter and Facebook at least. I can only assume the others.

So ChatGPT is gathering only government sponsored information to an extent.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's not that hard to leave them in the trunk.... (or behind the set of the truck in my case)

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Straws?!?

I'm pretty sure my parent quit giving me a sippy cup when I was 3

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was back there in the fall, I think I spent 33 cents about 500 times because I forgot to bring the last bags I bought.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor but I'm guessing you may be uniquely susceptible to debilitating injuries like this because your immune system has not been properly activated as a result of a lifetime of avoiding gumball machines.

stinkyB, abyzmul, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually it was more wanting to carry up all the bags in the shopping load in one trip. Bloody plastic bags are too small and so that turned into 8 bags hanging off of one hand and 5 off the other. They called me the craw.

With the canvas totes it is a manageable 7 bags total.

Throw in the occasional bag break and the totes are 100% superior for the job of carrying groceries, even if they have retired the craw.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Not "The Craw", "The Craw"!

Br4d likes this.