RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jixxjr, Jan 10, 2020.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I’m definitely in the minority of rush fans, but my favorite albums were hemispheres through hold your fire(77-87). The majority of those being their keyboard progressive rock to almost jazz and Easy listening. But I agree , they weren’t a band who’s album you put on at a party, or at the gym for the most part. I tend to gravitate towards “bathroom songs”, albums full of those even better for me lol. Definitely more of a sit and listen band. Even their “heavier” stuff early on had too many time changes to really have any anthem songs, other than maybe working man, anthem, 2112.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't know what an "anthem song" is but YYZ and Bytor and the Snowdog are 2 songs that rate high on my all-time rock list.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  3. typeOnegative13NY

I guess it’s a song that keeps the same energy throughout, same speed. Like just about every AC/DC song. Radio friendly.

But you’ll get no argument from me, they’re my favorite band along with Floyd. Can only think of one song I never liked .... tai Shan.

MoWilkBeast and IDFjet like this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

To me the classic period is A Farewell to Kings through to Moving Pictures. Signals could have been a great album, possibly the best, but the production was just totally fucked up. I don't think Terry Brown could cope with trying to do something different with the sound. Outside that I think Counterparts is a great album. It's right up there along the classic period. I love both Yes and Floyd as well btw.

5. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, I love signals. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be grace under pressure. I think though grace-hold your fire could have been completely different if Alex stuck to humbuckers instead of single coils. Maybe pedals instead of racks as they tend to make you over do it with the modulation effects. The guitars in those albums were a bit thin.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I agree totally. I think the guitar sound is one of my biggest problem with that period, although there are some great bits on there (Kid Gloves, Middletown Dreams are two that spring to mind). I also remember hearing or reading that they were trying to achieve a big snare drum sound that was prevalent on many things in that period and the guitar sound kind of went with that. They decided after a while that Neil's drumming style just didn't let them get the sound they were after anyway.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I like Rush. . Tom Rush.

Geddy Lee's isolated vox at the 4:12 mark. . Geek squeak. . Guy's the absolute worst.

"And echoes with the sound of salesmen
    Of salesmen, of salesmen"

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

what's that?,,,,,I don't need to be surrounded by 37 drum heads and 29 ziljians?.....

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I almost agree, I would go back one and say 2112 to Moving Pictures. I like Signals but it definitely took a step down from that group.

I do think Snakes and Clockwork Angels are true masterpieces and stepped it up from anything past Hold your Fire.

10. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah, I never reach for bones, presto, counterparts, test for echo often. Some very good songs, but not like the others where they are good beginning to end.
    The garden was such a fitting last song.
    I love signals. But you can almost feel the identity crisis in it.

Section 336 likes this.