RIP Leon Spinks

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Murrell2878, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Dead at 67. Sad. Here's his fight against Ali

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I saw him box at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. His win over Ali was one of the bigger upsets in boxing history, but when Ali actually trained for the rematch seven months later, it was no contest. He later fought for world titles two other times, but lost both times. He caught lightning in a bottle in his 8th professional fight, but was 16-15-1 in this last 32 fights from 1981 to 1995. His son Cory was a three-time world champion (welterweight and junior middleweight), and of course his brother Michael was a great light heavyweight and heavyweight champion (until Mike Tyson came along). He definitely paid the price in brain damage from boxing, but actually seemed to have aged more gracefully than many former boxers.

RIP.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I saw Leon in a hotel bar opposite the St Louis Gateway Arch about 25 years ago and I'm actually amazed he lasted this long. He never was much for words but when I saw him he had a shuffling gait, barely able to lift his feet off the floor and stiff, unnatural arm movements constantly bent at the elbows. I felt bad for the guy then - his last couple of decades must have been a personal hell.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Rip
    Not a huge boxing fan, but isn’t he the one back in the 80s that we all payed to watch fight Tyson on pay per view, and it lasted like 10 seconds?

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That was his brother Michael, lasted about half a round

typeOnegative13NY likes this.