RIP Eddie Van Halen

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by GREG, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Billy Gibbons? I'd never have put him in that bracket personally. Agree about Rhodes. Sadly there wasn't enough of a catalogue to really go on but I'd have him top 5 for sure and I always argue his case when this discussion comes up. Blackmore would have to be in there too for me and Hendrix has to be in the argument. I know someone who would die on the hill for Rory Gallagher.So tough to just pick three.

2. Gibbons was Hendrix’s fav player,same w Jeff Beck. Hes got a very diverse catalog of leads/riffs w alot of different time signatures,textures & scales. He Transitioned effortlessly from the 70s guitar sound to the Marshall stacked larger than life aesthetics of the 80s w.o sacrificing his blues roots

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You never hear anyone mention Terry Kath even though Hendrix called him the greatest guitarist in the universe.

4. Welll Chicago also had like 10 members which didnt help im sure but he was incredible too.Way ahead of his time. Also Michael Schenker deserves a ton of respect as well.

There are a handful of 80s shredders that deserve mentioning based on pure chops but hard to place above EVH/Rhoades.

George Lynch
    Warren Demartini
    Carlos Cavazo
    Vito Bratta
    Steve Lynch(Claims to have discovered tapping technique & writing a book on it before EVH)
    Mick Sweda
    Steve Vai

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would also add to your list Yngwie Malmsteen.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Vito bratta is criminally underrated . Or was, I’ve read he hates playing guitar now.

George lynch one of my favorites too.

Vai and satch are amazing also.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.