Rex Ryan's Approval Rating After 7 Weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Oct 23, 2013.

?

Do you approve Rex's coaching after 7 weeks?

1. Yes

194 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I'm a Fence Sitter

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Keep Rex around. He's doing a great job with a dearth of talent this year.

No signature needed

2. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This made me LOL

So true

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I did until 2012, the year of the Sanchez.

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly - no-one could have done better with what we have had under centre the last 5 years.

5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I'm a fence sitter. He's in his fifth year, and he's 5-5 this season. Last year 6-10, year before 8-8. He is the one sitting on the fence. The fence between good and suck.

The thing is, is there someone better out there? No one obvious that I can think of. Someone is out there waiting to be unearthed, but it is kind of a crap shoot.

6. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Kansas City had 6 pro bowlers in 2012.
    Kansas City #1 pick in the draft: Tackle Eric Fisher, and offensive lineman can often step in immediately and make an impact
    Kansas City's biggest weakness was at the QB position, in which they traded for Alex Smith. This may have not happened unless Reid was the coach, but I'm willing to assume whoever was the GM/Coach would have gone for a QB who averaged a 97.1 QB rating over the last two years. He went for a 2014 2nd rounder.

KC is an extremely talented team that is 9-1 and has had a very soft schedule. My point was that Rex at 6-4 with his team is much more impressive with a tough schedule, a huge lack of talent and a rookie QB.

IMO: The Jets without Rex would take a much bigger hit than the Chiefs without Reid.

7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We are 5-5.

8. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I have seen every coach since Weeb Ewbank and Rex in spite of all the learning he still must do, is the best damn coach out of the whole bunch. I put him ahead of Parcells for the simple reason of Rex wanting to actually be here long term and win us a Super Bowl. Parcells was clearly the better tactician and experienced HC. Yet, given the time and players Rex has all the tools to surpass Tuna in his own right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Talent on the roster is all you need to look at. Sanchez at QB in the past two seasons you referenced and a severe lack of offensive talent. You can not evaluate him truly when he has no talent on the roster. You just can't. No coach could do anything when your QB is turning the ball over 15+ times a year.

Look at what he did when we had talent? Even with a shitty QB. 4 playoff road wins and 2 afc championship appearances. The writing on the wall is crystal clear. Give him talent and he is one hell of a coach.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Given the quality of Jet HC's since Weeb, Rex certainly ranks at the top. Unfortunately, that's akin to being the cream of the crap instead of the cream of the crop. Rex is better than Kotite, Winner, Mangini, etc. All of those guys mentioned ranged from mediocre to really sucked so in comparison, of course Rex looks great. Even the Sainted Bill Parcells can't hold a candle to Rex Ryan's record wise with the Jets. No fair counting Parcells' record with the Giants. Super Bowl wins don't matter. Only AFCCG appearances.

After 5 years, Rex's record with the Jets is 39-35 which translates into a .527 winning percentage. Considering the history of this team, these numbers should get Rex into Canton. At the very least, another 5 years.

Since historically, this team hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, why not give a mediocre coach and yeah, .500 or slightly above counts as mediocre, another 5 or 10 years. After 45 years, there really shouldn't be a sense of urgency as an entirely new generation of fans will take the place of the old fans that supported the team during prehistoric (pre Rex Ryan) days.

Those back to back AFCCG appearances alone should be proof positive that a +.500 record is an abberation instead of an indication of things to come. As long as the team is competitive, that's all that counts. We were mediocre under Herm. We were mediocre under Mangini. We are mediocre under Rex too.

After a few decades one gets used to it. Extend Rex another 5-10 years and settle in for a nice comfortable ride with the occasional post season appearance. If we beat the Patriots, our season is a success. The other 14 games on the schedule are just a distraction. This is the brave new world of Parity.

Perhaps one day winning the Super Bowl will be as important as appearing in the AFCCG. Until then, I'll take mediocrity as long as I'm not shelling out huge cash for PSL's and swag. Thank God for the Sunday Ticket.

Yay..

#110 Cman68, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  11. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Jets fans are bipolar. It's funny how there were 0 Nos during the week it was made (after a win), but now that it was bumped after a loss there's 12 No votes. Such short term memory fans have.

12. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

This was related to my previous post in how people will hit the panic button with one loss to the Bills, "I can't believe Rex skipped team meetings for Dave and Busters, etc" but if the Jets had won, they would be 6-4 and there would be talk about Rex being HCOY.

13. DanR

DanR Active Member

Does anyone still view Rex Ryan favorably?

I blame Rex for our offense being so horrendous.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Well that makes no sense. Wasn't Rex who failed to acquire a legitimate QB and I'm pretty sure it's not Rex insisting on winters playing over vlad.

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sorry but the Oline looks no better with Winters than Vlad.

16. DanR

DanR Active Member

Thats the problem. Rex has a laissez-faire approach with the offense. You cant blame Rex because he removes himself from having any offensive responsibilities.

Jets are fraught with so much problems and Rex is not fixing anything. I'd love Rex as a DC but he sucks as a head coach.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I couldn't disagree more. Anybody would struggle to win games with the level of play we've had at the QB position since Rex has been here.

Clearly Idzik is involved in the decision to play Winters.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

What does a coach have to do before he gets a blame. Its Rex's system. He chooses the players. If this is a rebuilding job and Rex is a part of that fine. If his job is hinging on winning games. He's gone. Say goodbye.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't know what to think about Rex anymore

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Rex gets credit for putting a solid defense on the field every year. Why can't he be criticized for putting a shitty offense on the field several years running?