Rex Ryan's Approval Rating After 7 Weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Oct 23, 2013.

?

Do you approve Rex's coaching after 7 weeks?

1. Yes

194 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I'm a Fence Sitter

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think Rex and Marty are handling Geno better than Sanchez, but there are less expectations on Geno with the 2nd round pick and etc than was there with Sanchez. At least publicly with what gets to the media and us it seems like that.

No. I don't see Belicheck leaving that way. He either leaves with Brady or after, not before. I just don't see a before unless he has a personal reason or he NE gets caught in a spygate type scandal and the NFL highly encourages Bill to retire because of it. I always had a feeling Bill wants to prove he can win without Brady and Cassell probably boosted his ego. 11-5 with a QB who hadn't started since HS.

2. Mitch_Dumstein

Wow

140-0-5

Even a homer of my level expected at least a couple of sarry trolling nay voters

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I agree the TB game looked hopeless but there was about 1 or 2 plays left to play with so we can't officially say it would have been a loss. Who knows what would have been called. Hail mary would be unlikely yeah but we needed about 10 or so yards to put Folk in a spot to make a albeit difficult kick, why couldn't those 10 yards be sustained with one more play?

Also, the re-do kick was big obviously but even if there was no push in the back called....NE gets the all around their own 40. By no means was anything guaranteed that they'd score. Everyone thought they would score when they got the ball in OT, yet they didn't. Who says our defense could not stop them after Folk's missed kick?

4. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

I love Rex but the penalties... especially the too many man in the huddle? We just seem unorganized sometimes.

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

to be clear I approved of it in the off season - I am usually pretty wildly inconsistent but the one thing I have always been is a rex supporter - i think he is great and wish he was my big fat uncle* (like Uncle Buck).

* edit: to be clear this doesnt mean I would want Rob as my dad.

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Looking at the results, I'd say Rex has pretty strong support from the fan base. Last year we were all ready to throw him off the bus, myself included. And it would appear as though I was totally wrong about that. He is actually having his best year coaching, IMO.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nah, don't put me in that category :up:

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Let's not turn this into a sanchez thing, the difference in this team is more talent on O and a MUCH better OC.

He wasn't around when we drafted Gholston.

and if he has been involved I think he's done ok, have you seen our DL?

Cotch asked to be released, the Jets didn't want to let him go. rex tried to convince him to stay. They took a chance w/ Woodhead, they wanted him back too. it didn't work out.

9. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I think Rex will be the happiest man alive.....

10. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Do not put me in the fire Rex group....

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

150 and counting!!

12. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

That's stunning. Even in a semi-anonymous poll like this.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Will Cro shadow Green all over the field? Rex: "Well were not going to put Snacks on him."
    Good old Rex xD

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Well I'm still a fence sitter, despite being a fan of Rex. At the start of the season I had 3 principal objectives for him that weren't entirely about the W/L record - show me a team that a) shows signs of moving in the right direction, b) is more competitive and balanced, and c) doesn't collapse in the final 4 games. The first two look pretty much achieved, I'll reserve judgement on the last though.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

First off, Rex is not going to resign. He's way too competitive.

It also looks like he is not going to be fired, thankfully.

My own opinions about Bill Belichick are that he is not going to retire before Tom Brady retires. Even with Brady in an apparent decline, he still gives the Patriots a very high chance to win the division every year, and I think Belichick is planning on emphasizing defense for these last few years of Brady's career. If Belichick retired and another HC won the Super Bowl with Brady, people would start openly saying "Brady had more to do with those Super Bowl wins than Belichick" and it will harm his "genius" legacy.

My own theory is that Brady and Belichick are going to retire in the same year, and then the Patriots will have no QB, no HC, and no GM. The team will struggle a lot, and everyone will remember those "Brady/Belichick years" and it will sharply increase his legacy. (Kind of like how Payton Manning's legacy increased because the perennial playoff contending Colts immediately became the worst team in the NFL right after he left due to his neck injury.)

I don't think it's possible that the Patriots are having secret contacts with Rex, telling him he can be their HC if Rex gets fired. Nothing goes on in Patriot Town without Belichick knowing about it- Kraft wisely chose to give Belichick basically dictator-like powers over the team. He fulfills all of the functions normally done by the GM, HC, team CEO, and owner - essentially he can do whatever he wants. He's not going to try to replace himself with Rex Ryan, who trust me, he hates, and then watch Rex win a Super Bowl with Belichick's own quarterback. Although Belichick is not a classy guy to begin with, you can tell during the handshakes after the games, Belichick reaches out with his hand while turning his head away, and then as soon as he makes contact with Rex's hand he pulls his hand back and is already turned around and is walking away. That shows zero respect and IMO is worse than refusing to shake Rex's hand. Bill would never let Rex take his job.

Also, I don't think that Rex would ever quit the Jets, and he especially wouldn't backstab his team by quitting the Jets to go to the Patriots. As soon as Rex got hired he dove straight into the rivalry with New England, and he even has a Jets tattoo. How could you coach New England with a Jets tattoo? If he were fired by the Jets, and somehow NE was looking for a coach, that's the only way he could become New England's coach, but even then it'd be a hard sell to the fan base.

I think that Rex is feeling more and more confident that his job is secure, and his ideal situation would be to win a Super Bowl with the Jets. It would've been so easy for Rex to let go after 2012 and go start over with a new team, but instead he chose to stay and fight, take his lumps with the media, and never stop fighting no matter how much all the non-Jets fans didn't believe in the team.

16. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Might be time to start the fire Rex movement. This looks like the Sanchez debacle all over again. Rex is going to let Geno sink the season this year, but it is not all his fault. How many more defensive player are we going to draft while leaving the offensive side bare with no talent?

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Extend this bastard!!!!

I'm serious

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm still very happy with the job Rex and his coaching staff are doing. I'd still rather wait until after the season to extend a coach who has another year left on his contract and who needs to get better late-season performance out of his team than he has managed to get recently.

19. bigdan22

bigdan22 New Member

A couple things about Rex. He does make adjustments on the fly (I'm talking game to game, not halftime) which is a good thing. I think he's in the process the re-thinking his defensive schemes now.

But probably the most discouraging thing about Rex's teams is that they only seem to perform when nothing is expected of them and their backs are against the wall. Why is that? Also, he's a renowned "player's coach," but I'm not sure that's the best choice for a young team. Young players are best motivated by fear. It's the old guys that seem to play better for a player's coach. I think this team may need more of a disciplinarian.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think we only need to look at Tampa Bay to see that a disciplinarian isn't a good choice.