Rex Ryan's Approval Rating After 7 Weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Oct 23, 2013.

?

Do you approve Rex's coaching after 7 weeks?

1. Yes

194 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. I'm a Fence Sitter

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

My point is people feel a lot better about 4-3 than they would about 2-5. That the Jets are playing above most expectations is a pretty good explanation of the lopsided yes votes. If the Jets were 2-5, I have a feeling the voting wouldn't be quite so unanimous.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

true, but he has same flaw as buddy. latches onto players even if they're not getting the job done ( sanchez) and wants to be his own GM ( gholston, tebow, etc.)

he can cook, just don't give him your grocery money to shop.

i still can't believe he waived cotchery and woodhead in favor of two ravens rejects.:mad:

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

FTR, I voted YES as well as you did. His team is playing well above any expectations I had going into the season even with 9 games left. I also suggested that perhaps the question was a bit simplistic and the answers suggested that. That is why I suggested a scale of sorts for those that like Rex, but perhaps not everything Rex has done so far. A good example would be the futile challenges that had most of us head-scratching multiple times.

A lot of times when you take a poll, you're given a range of answers instead of simple yes/no's. You get a lot more information when you give people midrange options instead of only the extremes.

#43 Cman68, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. Mitch_Dumstein

87-0- with 2 fence sitters

GO FOR THE CENTURY MARK TGG JET FANS

5. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

This post isn't accurate. He wasn't here when we drafted Gholston. Who says he waived Cotchery and Woodhead? Those are the GMs responsibilities, not the coach. It's possible he may have had a say in it, but the accountability resides with Tanny in that respect.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It is the job of the General Manager to buy the groceries, never is the HC - people always seem to say this. If the GM is making the HC make all of the decisions, that GM isn't doing his job.

If he can cook, he's doing his job. Rex is the Heisenberg of defense and motivation.

7. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much the media was against the Jets, but now even Mehta put on his Twitter account, something "begging" Jets fans for forgiveness.

After the buttfumble game, the 2012 season really fell apart, and it felt like the Jets couldn't do anything right, especially at the QB position. Tebow was a massive distraction, and about 30% of NFL talk seemed to be about the Jets, and all of it was negative, for literally months. That sort of poisoned the well a bit, and once things are that negative for that long, it's hard to change people's minds - the narrative reporters were fully expecting was that the Jets would be horrible.

I think Woody knew that big changes were needed, but he still recognized that Rex was a good head coach and that you couldn't just replace him with whoever and expect that to be an upgrade. Just like how the Eagles were taking a huge risk when they fired Andy Reid, who is a top-8 HC in my opinion, hoping that Chip Kelly will turn out to be a top-2 / "revolutionary" HC.

After the Jets beat the Patriots and improved to 4-3, you couldn't make the argument that "well, they only beat other bad teams" anymore. The media narrative started to change. The other huge factor that comes into play, in my opinion, is that the Giants are lousy. This makes the Jets look better in comparison.

As for the mid-season extension, I don't think that that is really necessary. Before the season started, there was that press conference with both Rex and Woody, and Rex was talking about a new beginning. I think Woody chose to be there at the press conference as his way of showing that he was confident in Rex, and hopefully that would tamp down the talk about Rex being close to getting fired. It didn't really work, but I think that was the intent. On the other hand, he couldn't publicly go all-in on Rex because if the media and "experts" were right, he'd kind of have to fire Rex after a 3-13 season or whatever. He couldn't give unconditional support (as he could if Rex had won a Super Bowl) but he could at least project the aura of "I still trust Rex, everything is still normal."

If Rex is extended now, mid-season, that sort of admits that he was previously considering firing him. Whereas, if he waits until the end of the season, he can give him a 2 - 3 year extension and act like "I was going to extend him after this season anyway, I never doubted Rex's talents as a coach."

Also, a mid-season extension could sort of create a distraction for the team - if it were to happen, it should be during the bye week right after the New Orleans game (aka the Ryan Bowl). If Rex wins these next two games as the underdog, it'll be easy to go "yeah I couldn't wait to re-sign him", but I'd still say that there's no real advantage to doing that. Maybe you tell Rex privately, but public announcements/signings are just going to give the media stuff to use to create distractions- and the Jets play better when the focus is on the team as opposed to Rex. And they definitely play better when Rex is the coach, so I'll be very happy if Woody extends Rex after this season.

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex is a hell of an actor. He rocked in "That's my boy"!!!!

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Legit. I can agree with that.

I think if we're going on a 10 scale I'd give his performance so far an 8/10. They could've won the first NE game as easily as they could've lost Tampa and NEII. The fact that we're consistently in ball games is impressive to me given how stripped down of veteran talent this roster is.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

WE DID IT, great TGG Jet fans

Yes 108

No ZERO

Fencesitters 3

#50 Mitch_Dumstein, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Now someone tell Woody and Idzik about this poll.

12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Yes and I'm saying the Jets are not 2-5, they're 4-3
    they are a deserving 4-3

He has coached the team well, has made good decisions, and was apparently involved in a positive act of gamesmanship to win a game over our hated rival.

He is toning down his bluster act. He is building a stout defense. He is the face of the Jets. If the Jets fall apart, there will be calls for his head, but right now, he is appropriately being supported

13. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

An easy yes.

We have one of the weaker WR corps in the league, two unproven running backs, average LB's and two questionable safety's. He's worked wonders with what we have.

I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get another shot next year considering all the draft picks we have to work with.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

As of right now, yeah. I have minor qualms with challenges, clock management, going for 2, going for FG but they haven't come back to bite us yet and every coach has a weakness. He needs to obviously keep it up, but this team is yet again overachieving what they actually have talent wise, hopefully Idzik doesn't get caught up in it like Tanny kind of did

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Wow. Not a single "No" and only 4 fence squatters. I have to say I'm impressed with you guys. No more denial of reality.

16. Professor

Professor Active Member

In Rex and Marty I trust

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

This is big, he has the best DL in the league and Wilk being the senior member of the group is in his 3rd year. We also finally have a pretty good OC, I found some fault with Marty's calling in the Steeler's game but outside of that you can't fault him for the pics and TO's Geno has made. I really was not on board with Geno but I am coming around on him. He has a cannon and he seems to get right back up, wipe the dirt off and go back to work after a mistake. He's also not exactly throwing to a cast of PB wideouts or TE either.

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Wow - a buck and a quarter and still 0 No's. Impressive.

The first thing that came to mind was Eric Barton's late hit.

Please tell me you are joking? You realize there was an article just after Crotchery left that said HE wanted a change of scenery? It was his decision and Rex tried to convince him to stay.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the mood around here changes if we lose the next two to two really good teams.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

O apologize for the long rant, but had to get these evil thought out of my head;

IF Rex were to get fired (or if he decided to resign), there are several obvious landing spots.
    hell Tampa Bay would be a good start.

But there's the really scary part: What if Belicheck scribbles a few words on a lunch napkin and resigns.....he pulls a Bill Parcells and rides off into the sunset? With his team a shell of it's former self and with Brady pushing 38-39 next years old next season, it may be time for a dynasty change in NE.

With no GM in New England (Belicheck holds that title), Bob Kraft could offer Rex Ryan and his coaching staff the keys to the kingdom, literally, and at 10 times the money he'd ever make coaching for Woody.

Could that 'secret' conversation have already happened? Would you be totally shocked if it has?

NE and the Jets have a history of steeling each others head coaches (and star running backs).

Dispite all his faults, Bill Belicheck is a brutally competitive human, and he'd have has sway over who takes over. The Pats are his baby.

If Bill were to retire and turn his baby over, it would have to be to a man he trusts, respects, likes, and most important fears come game day. A guy like himself.

If Rex walks, it could be just a few miles up I95,