Rex Ryan: I would take Daniel Jones over Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Puh-lease....Rex can fuck off with his bloviating hot takes.

2. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Coach Billick joked about this, he had Rex on the NFL network and he made that same comment reminiscing about their time on the Ravens coaching staff.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great point. I wonder how many HCs remember that a long, long time ago, the Jets traded a fortune for a QB from the Pittsburg Steelers who had great fundamentals, looked like Adonis throwing the ball from the pocket, and was a massive bust for us. Brett Favre was another QB criticized for his unorthodox fundamentals if my memory serves me right. I’m not worried about Sam, I’m worried about him surviving this year behind this OL and their blocking schemes.

#63 LAJet, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spoken by the man that did not come to NY to kiss BB rings, did little with a rookie that had great fundamentals. But raw as hell, was blessed with a solid OL, and manage to screw up the whole season by putting him in harms way at the end of a meaningless preseason game.
    These comparisons after one start and non sensical

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. BleedgreenIII

BleedgreenIII Member

Jones has always looked good @ least to me....from the first preseason game he played he looked better than most QB’s I’ve seen...maybe only Dak Prescott (as a rookie) have looked better in the last 10+ years...but it doesn’t mean he will be great or ultimately better than Darnold in the long term....but I agree with Rex in the sense that anyone seeing both players would choose Jones...he just seems more confident & is surprisingly super athletic &fast.... As for Darnold you can see he has the tools but I think we mostly get caught up by expecting him to suddenly be our savior overnight...the guy is only 21 but his demeanor sometimes makes him look 18...he simply needs time...I don’t get too caught up in this QB to QB comparisons....it’s mostly just beer talk to me...it’s a team game....& it takes so much more that a great QB to win in this league...so I hope Darnold keeps growing

nicg4360 likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I do remember reading about rex liking kap. plus he liked tebow too for that reason. rex loved mobile QBs

7. GasedAndConfused

I don't have anything to dig up. just memories from back then. You can believe it or not. it's irrelevant and not a big deal anyway.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem. You're right, it's no big deal. It's not that I doubted you, I was just curious who the sources were who said that and the timing. Sometimes stuff comes out at the time something happens, but often it comes out later. Also, as you know some sources are more reputable than others. I think Mehta and Cimini have been known to make up stuff, where some of the other reporters, beatwriters, NFL writers are more reliable. Thanks.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"Man, I love Daniel Jones' footwork. I mean this kid has great feet!" -Rex

10. GasedAndConfused

yeah it's all good. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a reporter talking out of their ass. I just remember the stories of them.

11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones must have nicer toes than Sam.

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I'm high on Sam and expect him to be here for years, hopefully taking us to the playoffs regularly
    That said ...

Jones has looked great so far and in his first opportunity, he was able to take the ball in crunch time and get his team into the end zone for the win. Sam has had several chances to do the same, and has failed every time. The one that really sticks out is failing to get that win vs GB last year when Roberts gave him the ball on the Packer 40, down 3 about 1:00 to play and he couldn't get us the winning TD against an awful defense. Settled for 3 ... lost in OT.

He still needs to prove he can drive for a TD when it counts.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

goin' back to 2009 for that joke. good one TDK

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan was a decent - not very good or certainly not great - HC. He was disengaged about the offense, and on that basis alone his opinion about QBs should be taken with a pound of salt. I'm glad he's gone and I don't want to see him ever return.

As for Jones, I don't care how good he is. I'm happy with Darnold for now. He's shown enough that if he gets to play with some decent talent around him and is healthy he'll be a FQB. If I had my wish for a different QB I'd wish for Mahomes, other than that, I'm good with Sam until he proves he can't do it or another "Mahomes" appears.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Comming from a guy that has a Sanchez tatoo. Earlier in the year Ryan said the jets have no excuses to not make the playoffs. I don't take his judgements to seriously.

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

He had a game winning TD drive against Buffalo and outdueled Andrew Luck for what it is worth...

17. GasedAndConfused

NYJFOREVER and grkmanga31 like this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Rex is an idiot, and certainly is not a QB expert, he had a tattoo of Sanchez, who is he to even comment? LOL @ proclaiming Jones better than Darnold after 1 single game. Sanchez had a good first game too.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  19. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Wow getting Rex's endorsement could be the kiss of death here!

Before pronouncing Jones the next great QB, his performance illustrates the Giants are not that bad for talent on offense and Eli Manning really sucks.

The fact that Eli will be a HOF QB is a joke. Here are his stats for his career.

His record is 116-116 and pass completion rate is 60.3 %

TD 362 Interceptions 241 Rating 84.1

Do these stats represent a HOF career?

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. I couldn't believe it when I heard the Giants were planning to stick with Eli last year, much less this year.

I think Jones is going to be a good NFL QB. How good, I don't know, but think he has a chance to be pretty good. I saw flashes of it while he was at Duke, but he wasn't consistent, and I was disappointed in his career overall at Duke. In his defense, he didn't have the greatest talent around him at Duke and he sustained some injuries that he had to deal with. One thing is for certain...he received great coaching at Duke from David Cutcliffe and he is ready to play in the NFL. That's why I chuckled to myself when everyone was killing the Giants for taking him so early. That's higher than I thought he would go, but I can certainly understand why the Giants liked him.