Rex Ryan: I’m a lot better coach than I’m given credit for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jun 14, 2013.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yeah i agree with you.

what Rex is saying is totally correct...he is much better than he currently gets credit for. but who cares, and why say anything at all?

Possibly, as you stated, encouraging other organizations to start thinking about him as a candidate in future. and that does totally suck.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Is there a single word from the above that isn't true?

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Every new coach has some kind of issues. Who cares about guarantees? That didn't seem to be an issue in 2010 when we had more talent on the roster. Claiming it puts extra pressure isn't really grounded in reality. It's just drama. That's not what caused us to lose down the stretch in 2011 (when he didn't even make a guarantee that year, only a joke with reporters who asked him about it). People have selective memories. The guy admits his mistakes when he makes them. In fact, he took full responsibility for the entire offensive situation at the end of 2011 to take pressure OFF the players and other coaches. Rex shouldn't have to do everything. Schottenheimer got fired for a reason. Rex may have taken the blame publicly, but we all know who's fault it really was. Schotty didn't seem to hold guys accountable or keep the locker room together. I'm not saying he's the best coach in the league or anything, but he's improving and is still probably a top 10 coach as far as winning % goes in respect to the team they are currently coaching on. He's unquestionably the best coach we've had since Parcells. He's a good motivator, which is really the most important thing as a HC, along with coaching the coaches. With a legit OC, a lot of that pressure is off Rex now and he can do what he does best. Motivate players and assist with the defense.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

context.
    we don't know what led to the quotes. until we do we should not jump to the "stfu rex" reaction that florio is hoping for

5. Every one of Rex's infamous quotes has been portrayed as much worse than what was actually stated. I watch every single Jets PC beginning to end. The "Big mouth" label is just incredibly off base. Don't depend on the media to paraphrase Rex's take either. There have been countless times they've left out very interesting tidbits & have taken things out of context to build a headline.

Now Rex isn't perfect. No head coach is. But let bone head Patriots fans get all bent out of shape about a quote 6 weeks away from TC. It's gonna be mighty fun to hear bellichick answering PC questions about a back-up QB for the next year or so

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You gotta love the guy..sometimes he will make you cringe but I would take him over almost anybody else any day.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every time I think that Rex has matured as a head coach, he lets himself get baited into blabbering in front of a microphone.

It's pretty disheartening, even though I think that this particular article doesn't speak directly to his entire development as a head coach.

He just doesn't get the media, even though he obsesses over what they say. But dealing with the media is actually a part of the job. He sucks at it.

I'm tired of the notion that he is making himself a target for the media to take pressure from the team. His own words betray that notion.

Just shut up for one season and let the play of the team speak for you.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't see the knock there. He is a defensive genius and that is exactly where he should be calling the shots. He hired OCs to do the offense and he should keep his nose out of what he doesn't know. If you want to knock him you can for hiring Sparano (if he actually made that decision to begin with).

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he did shut up last year and we had by far our worst season under him, I miss the old confident Rex. I think the team feeds off him a bit. That's who he is, I hate seeing him not be himself, it's as bad as the Belichick disciples trying to do their Belichick imitation.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If the offense doesn't drastically improve Rex will be fired. The buck stops at the HC, and he needs to recognize that. Comments like the one he made lead me to believe he still isn't in tune with the entire team.

He's not just a defensive coordinator anymore.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I liked the drama involved with confident Rex, but it sounds like you are attributing his lack of overall media blabber to the lack of success of the team last year.

When I say that he isn't maturing as a HC in front of the media, I mean that he can be confident without being a blowhard. He is not being confident with the words he spoke in this particular instance. He is displaying insecurity. I know people will discount it because this thread was posted by a Pats fan, but I think that CJLang got the OP mainly right.

Maybe I don't want Rex to shut up, that was a knee-jerk comment from me. I just want the guy to develop a little poise when he is facing these asshole beat reporters. It's nice to be straightforward, but you have to present it correctly. Otherwise it looks foolish.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Ummm, Rex was very quiet last year. The whole loudmouth Rex thing is an old myth that's perpetuated by the media. He hasn't really be a loudmouth since 2010. Don't let quote mines fool you.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

God forbid he does what we'd all do. Everyday he is trashed through the media about how bad he is, even though he's the best coach we've had since the big tuna. If I was Rex I'd te the media every day they are full of shit and that he is a good coach, he just doesn't have much talent

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Rex needs to be able to coach the offensive side of the ball.

When Parcells was HC he took away play calling duties from Charlie fucking Weis, the ultimate architect of the Pats last offensive decade.

If Rex wants to be given credit, he should have booted Schotty out the door, and never allowed Sparano to be hired

Rexs greatest flaw as a HC, is he thinks G &P is a useful offense in todays NFL, when he spends all his time finding CBs to kill the passing game.....

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

What I would like to know is whether or not a coach would be criticized like Rex for saying the same thing. I understand Rex can be a little outlandish sometimes but god damn do I love it. We've seen what he can do. I agree with him he doesn't get enough credit for what he's done. We all know his shortcomings with the offense and I think he does too. Which is why we have Marty now. I just hope Idzik holds on to him because we could end up winning a SB with him in a few years assuming Idzik manages to put a championship calibre roster together.

16. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

..and that Rex is why you are not a good coach. You think it's all ok as long as your defense is good.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Oh, THAT'S why. :lol: I don't think he ever said or even insinuated that offense doesn't matter, but hey, let's make up our own conclusions. Defense is his specialty, of course his best accomplishments are on the defensive end.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The comments against Rex are laughable. There isn't a word on his statement that is not true. What's all the fuzz about. It's nothing but the typical NY media bullshit and the jet fans that start believing in the media bullshit. Rex is Rex. He is a great coach. He has room to improve but so does everyone else. Every time he says something he gets gashed, when BB says nothing he gets his balls polished. What a farce.
    If we loose this guy and he goes elsewhere, he will be considered a winner.....and then we will find out where the problem really lies...with then media and then idiots that buy into it.
    This is the same media that gashed the Jets for the Tebow fiasco, but praise the wisdom of the Pats for it. Frankly I hope Rex ends his career with a better record than BB and Parcell's, and then the media can kiss his fat or skinny ass.

19. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

I agree with all of this. Rex can't help but make a fool of himself. I think he is a very good defensive coach but it's quite telling that his success was based around a stellar running game and it was the d that let those teams down.
    He is so stubborn he continues to run his mouth to the detriment of the team.
    He is a clown because he acts like one.

Why can't he just act like a mature fucken man and keep his mouth shut? Does he like being viewed as a loud mouth fool?

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I actually agree with you on the lat two thing. However, if MM does well, Rex deserves the credit for hiring him