Rex doesn't want Captains on the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Jul 5, 2012.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't know if Rex is dodging accountability but I do know Rex is making a mistake . I have been worried about leadership on this team since the Steeler AFCCG and the quotes about the chaos in the defensive huddle,,,Trevor Pryce said some very alarming things after that game,,,never mind the fiasco on offence last year. This team has some very good players but maybe those players are not good leaders ? As others have said how can Guys like Revis and Mangold not be captains ,,,right ?
    I have hated to say it all along and liked the signing at the time but I think we would have been much better perusing Ray Lewis than Bart Scott. As a person you say what you want about Lewis but as a football player there is no denying his talent or leadership quality ! Having no captains is a bad idea in my book,,,,,if you expect everyone on your team is a leader,,you are very mistaken .

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Being named a captain doesn't make you a leader. If Holmes last year doesn't tell you that I don't know what will.

Leaders will be leaders regardless of a "C" patch.

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Holmes ruined this. Rex's, biggest mistake was believing Holmes was mature enough to handle the responsibility. Here are your captains: Mangold & Sanchez on offense. Harris, Bart and Revis on defense. Westhoff is the captain of special teams.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Longtime , I agree that it is only a letter on a sweater or jersey but this team needs LEADERS and I am afraid that we might not have any ! I would prefer that we actually had a captain or let me say captains,,and that they would lead by example,,that's what I would want and what teams need,,,but again I don't know if we have a single leader let alone several .

5. patfanken

patfanken Banned

OK, why doesn't Rex do what 90% of the rest of league does and let the TEAM select its captains. Why hasn't anyone here mentioned that simple solution. I'll tell you why. Its because neither Sanchez nor Revis would make the cut, and that isn't something the Jets want out there for public consumption.

Scot Pioli once said, and I paraphrase, "a champion is not about just collecting talent, its about building a TEAM". And to do that you have to add "true leaders" into the mix. Right now the best leader on the Jets is your backup QB, who has never worn "Green" in a real game. Nick Mangold, and Darrelle Revis might be the best players at their positions in the league, BUT that doesn't necessarily make them great leaders....just great players.

I am sure there are some players who have the skills necessary to be "true leaders" on the your team, and I'm sure the PLAYERS know who these guys are. Again, why doesn't Rex simply let the players chose who will lead them.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sanchez w/o a doubt would be elected Captain by his teammates.

The bottom line is no team needs official Captains, the players know who the leaders are and don't need some silly patch to tell them who they are.

7. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

If they do end up having captains, Rex better not pick them again. The players know who they respect and want as their leaders. That was probably the first blunder that showed Rex did not have the pulse of the team that year. I'd prefer the players to nominate captains, but this approach is better than last year's.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yawn. Non-issue.

9. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

x2 - filler

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

So who were the team captains in 2010?

11. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

jeez i dont even like rex and this seems way too harsh and judgemental...guy made a mistake, moved on...u and jets fans should too...cant anybody make a mistake anymore?

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No it isn't.

13. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You don't KNOW that until there is an actual vote. Why doesn't Rex just HAVE one?????????? There really is only one reason.....that he fears the results.

Yet for some reason virtually EVERY pro team has them. Why is that IF what you are saying is true

#33 patfanken, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  14. nyjunc

I guarantee that would happen, his offensive teammates have always spoken well of him as a leader and even if they didn't vote him in I'm sure it would have been rigged to name him a Captain.:)

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You'll search for any way to bash RR and the NYJ. Who gives a fuck if there are team captains? There weren't in 09 or 10 and the NYJ went farther than your gayass team in those years.

16. patfanken

patfanken Banned

of THAT I would have no doubt. Again junc, why doesn't he just let the team elect captains, and he can tinker with the results. I'm sure most HC's tinker. It would be the simplest way to allow the true leaders of the team to emerge.

I'm just scratching my head over why he hasn't just done it. Creating a strong leadership is very important for the Jets this season. Even Jet fans would admit to that. Yet in the face of that need, Rex seems so feel its best if there are no leaders except for him.....and he's just "one of the guys"

17. nyjunc

I thought naming captains was silly b/c the players know who the leaders are, that silly "C" patch doesn't tell us who the leaders are. I hated it from the start, I'm glad it's going back to the '09/'10 way..

18. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Thank God we have a Pats fan here to keep us all in line and realize the Jets are the worst team in the NFL, with the worstest ever head coach of all time, and our leadership and players are all dumb and selfish. Whew - where would we be without you Ken. Thanks for keeping us in line.

19. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well Holmes should not had been a C in the first place. You have to earn the Captain patch and title with it.

20. nyjunc

I think Holmes was a leader in 2010 but something about officially being a Captain made him think he could do and say anything he wanted.