Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by microscopes, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Okay, pardon the stupid question, but what would happen, cap-wise, if we just cut Revis now? Is there any savings at all?

Maybe I'm just reacting from the game having just ended, but at this moment I'm thinking back and it seems to me this game isn't even close if you take away Revis getting burned. It isn't that I'm not happy with the win, but this game shouldn't have been this close just like last week should have been a loss!

Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox....

TNJet and BuzzKillington like this.
  2. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Lmao i second that

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, no cap savings, and in fact, we'd wind up having to cut players I believe, because the $15 million (or at least $8 million of it) would escalate into this season's cap.

Aewhistory likes this.
  4. IsmokePot

IsmokePot Active Member

Revis missed lots of time with hand injury still not 100% and is still the best corner in the game. From Brandon Marshall post game interview NFL network. I believe.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No savings. We can't cut Revis until next year, and even then there'd be a substantial dead money hit.

Aewhistory likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

I'm not sure it would as the season has already started. I think the extra 8M would go on next year's cap (though I could be wrong).

7. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info. I was afraid this was the situation. So we are stuck with Revis for the year. So this brings me to my next question: for anyone who watches more closely than I, was this Revis getting burned or was this a failure of the safeties to cover? I know we are all quick to jump on Revis, myself included, but if we are stuck with him I am hoping that I'm wrong about his decline.

I'm not trying to be dense, this is another honest question: why is a hand injury healing from months ago still having this much impact on Revis's game?

I once had a cyst out in my wrist and it took a year before it felt normal again, so I get these things can take time. But even there I had nearly full use after two or three months. Not to mention that Revis isn't running or pivoting on his hands, right? Anyway, I've seen many people mention this injury as a reason why he has slowed down and I'm trying to wrap my mind around it. Is it because he can't jam the wideout effectively? That's all I've been able to come up with....

8. HomeoftheJets

The bomb to Goodwin was Revis's fault, or Bowles's if you want to fault him for putting Revis in single coverage against a speedy receiver. There was no safety help on that play, but a $17M corner shouldn't need safety help against a #2 receiver.

Aewhistory and JetsVilma28 like this.
  9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I think it was 3rd and 15. 100% Revis fault. No one gets behind you. He looks bad through 2 games, concerning bad. Like Revis is costing us. A weird, unlikely spot to find Revis in.

10. IsmokePot

IsmokePot Active Member

CB is 80% hands. Revis has been in solid position most of the plays he is getting beat on that are his fault. Also remember how it took him a few weeks after his hold out to be back to Revis. If he isn't back by week 5 then I'm worried.

11. HomeoftheJets

Perhaps it would be better to put Revis on the #1 receiver but give him deep safety help? If he doesn't have to worry about getting beat over the top I feel like he can still make plays.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He isn't running on his hands. He is getting beat because he appears slow, not because of his hands.

TNJet likes this.
  13. IsmokePot

IsmokePot Active Member

You don't understand the little things he gets away with using his hands that make him great. Can't do those things sure you will get burnt, esspecially considering his legs arint what they used to be due to age.

14. tubby

tubby Active Member

He obviously hasn't played well at all but he certainly still has value to this team. Wouldn't be surprised if he turns it around either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

After the big play he did shut shit down.

This kid on Buffalo is fastest in league so Revis got beat

IsmokePot likes this.
  16. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i do think he is on a decline but still good enough to play

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

well somebody lying because Todd Bowles said it to the media himself. I believe Todd.

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Revis is very much so still Revis he's just older and the island is shut down. No more putting that man on an island. He still knows what a WR is going to do the second he leave the huddle, he has the posistion down to a science.. give him help up top and nobody will dare throw it underneath on him ( because he won't be playing 20 yards off scared to get burned) . We gave him safety help yesterday and the bills offense was trash ever since (besides the break down play to Greg Salas)

19. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Revis is not still Revis, and Bowles needs to acknowledge that and start giving him help. It's odd seeing him so human so I don't know if this is overaction but right now he seems like one of the biggest weak points on the team which is bizarre. Hopefully he gets beat up in the media again and ups his game because of it and turns it around.

20. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

He'll be fine... Not worth the money we are paying him, but can't do anything about that now.